Clethodim use in brassicas?

MJM-NY

is it safe to use Cleth in brassicas plot? I have too much grass coming in on some of my Big N Beasty plots, can I safely spray Cleth?

can you spray cleth or gly when the grass is wet? we had rain last night and the grass is still wet...

I spray gly early in the mornings at my club and its usually wet from dew and i always get a good kill.

I sprayed cleth on some brassicas a few weeks ago. Burned them a little, but they have bounced back nicely.

I don't know if I got a bad jug of Clethodim from Rural King or what but I have sprayed all of it in various strengths up to 4 oz per gallon of water and I can't get it to kill anything...I am not spraying it on Sedge either. Won't kill my Bermuda, Fescue, or Johnson grass, nor will it kill brooms hedge grass for me...very discouraging because I bought it for clover plots and just ended up having to burn everything down with GLY and start over after just 2 years. Hot Dry summer caused clover to go into dormancy which opened the door for grass big time!

I have long held the opinion that the mono cultures we like to see are best served by intensive manipulation of varieties to always have the most palatable forage reaching maturity in succession. I do rotations. Divide plots, after they peak ,spray ,till, replant. Starting spring, crimson, red, soy, cow peas, brassicas, AWP. Clover always fades mid summer and allows the competition a foot hold,with no guarantee that it will return early fall. Better to start with a clean slate every time. Cheaper. More predictable.

I'm going to do a write up of my experience with urban micro plots under 10K square feet. I believe I have a program that works. Stay tuned.

OkieKubota did you use a surfactant or crop oil in it. I use clethodim from Rural King this year with excellent results. Killed all my grasses but I did add the surfactant according to the label. Clethodim has to have a surfactant to be effective according from the information I have.

OkieKubota did you use a surfactant or crop oil in it. I use clethodim from Rural King this year with excellent results. Killed all my grasses but I did add the surfactant according to the label. Clethodim has to have a surfactant to be effective according from the information I have.
Yes sir - used surfactant starting at 5 oz per 15 gallons of water and my last batches were 10 oz at 15 gallons of water...best I ever saw was at one month after use I had a slight browning on some grass tips...

tant starting at 5 oz per 15 gallons of water and my last batches were 10 oz at 15 gallons of water...best I ever saw was at one month
Okie, I am a novice food plotter so take my answer with a grain of salt a lot more members with more knowledge than me but my label said to use 1 quart which would be 32 ounces of surfactant to the acre. I added 8 ounces of clethodim and 1 quart of surfactant to my 15 gallon tank and used it to spray my 3 food plots which are all 1 acre. I sprayed the entire tank on each plot so I filled the tank 3 times. I was shocked how good it worked my first time using it. I used it on plots that had ashymonene and alyce clover growing in it but that the grass had overtaken it all. the grass was at least 2 feet tall in them, now it did take about a month for it to all be dead but it did eventually die. Maybe you needed more surfactant I don't know.

I don't know if I got a bad jug of Clethodim from Rural King or what but I have sprayed all of it in various strengths up to 4 oz per gallon of water and I can't get it to kill anything...I am not spraying it on Sedge either. Won't kill my Bermuda, Fescue, or Johnson grass, nor will it kill brooms hedge grass for me...very discouraging because I bought it for clover plots and just ended up having to burn everything down with GLY and start over after just 2 years. Hot Dry summer caused clover to go into dormancy which opened the door for grass big time!
Okie, look at the label of the cleth and make sure your mixing properly of both the chemical itself and of the surfactant based on the target grasses your trying to kill. Also consider adding some AMS - I like adding AMS (N) to a tank mix for grasses. Also make sure the grasses your spraying are actively growing. If they where fairly dormant or mature when you sprayed you will not have a good result either. I have actually mowed the grass before trying to spur it to some active growth just so I could come back and spray it a few weeks later. Seeing a cleth burn down also takes longer than say gly so sometimes some patience is in order as well. These are all just suggestions of mistakes I have made in the past.....

I sprayed 15 gallons of water on 1 acre with 4 oz of cleth per gallon and 10 oz of surfactant for the 15 gallons.

I can spray GLY with no surfactant at 2 oz per gallon and kill all the grass dead and I only have to go over it once...

Dang Okie, that is strong. I spray when grass is about a foot high, not been mowed, in early spring or late fall, when it is aggressively growing. I use 16-32 oz Cleth with 8 oz surfactant in 10-15 gal water for one acre. Two weeks and grass is toast. Must be that Okey grass is on some of that juice from those needles you found recently in ditch??

I can spray GLY with no surfactant at 2 oz per gallon and kill all the grass dead and I only have to go over it once...
I know some that spray their clover with gly to kill the grass and it doesn't kill the clover. I would be too scared to try that, of course I am just now trying to start my clover plots from scratch.

Yea, maybe you didn't have enough surfactant. I bought mine from antler king and it worked fine, but it takes about 3 weeks to kill it. Shawn, i've sprayed clover with gly in the spring, after planting the clover the previous fall. It needs to be mature clover. I spray at 1.25qts/acre and it doesn't kill the clover. My problem is dog fennel, gly wont kill it, 2,4,d will but it will also kill my clover. I hate dog fennel in a plot, but it makes a nice screen around it. I just bushhog it.

Shawn, i've sprayed clover with gly in the spring, after planting the clover the previous fall. It needs to be mature clover. I spray at 1.25qts/acre and it doesn't kill the clover. My problem is dog fennel, gly wont kill it, 2,4,d will but it will also kill my clover. I hate dog fennel in a plot, but it makes a nice screen around it. I just bushhog it.
I will have to remember that rate for the gly. Yes dog fennel is everywhere on my property also but it is real easy for me just to pull up the stragglers that pop up. That is my next goal is to start working on getting some screening going.

Back