Chinkapin Oaks

I've planted probably close to 500 of them since 06. Not only do they begin producing early, they are a good looking tree as well. I even have a few in what is basically straight sand that are growing.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

I have them native and love them. Pretty tree that fills a niche with early drop times. Followed shortly by Dwarf Chinkapin (maybe switched order, don't remember for sure which drops first), then Burr and Pins.

I planted quite a few last year and they did well, this year most didnt get leaves, still green if you scratch them but everything else has been leafed out for a month. Do yours leaf out late?

They are the primary oak on my place - all the critters love them, but they fall early here so you gotta be ready to hunt them. My trees produce nearly every year and I tend to collect some for the seed swap thread as well. They are small enough many critters, even birds, will eat the acorns. On my place they really like the rocky/sandy soil areas that drain well and like any other oak - they like the sunlight. I can't speak to the leaf out question.....I can't say I pay attention. I do know my oaks in general lag behind everything else, but I can't say I ever noticed my chinks being noticeably further behind my other oaks.....

I was on the phone with a forester last week who was trying to shy me away from planting the non native sawtooth oaks. She claimed that several of the native species will produce just as fast if you water and fertilize them like most people do with their sawtooths. Good to hear there are several options for fast producers, certainly don't want to wait 20 years...

Are you guys tubing and caging these trees? I'd probably be planting seedlings.

Last edited:
I tube. And, I will keep planting sawtooths. I absolutely LOVE sawtooths. And, they produce MUCH more acorns at age 5 than any native---but I like variety and it's nice to find these chinkapins are doing a bang-up job.

Good to know. Sawtooths are definitely still on my list! I'm looking at property across the river in SC. I'd love to get some advice on setting things up once I close.

Last edited:
Back