Chicory?

I get 2 yrs then things deteriorate pretty quickly. I’ve not had the same luck through timed mowing getting it to reseed in any volume. I can’t speak to the stems....all I know is the deer hammer it.

I'm learning something here. We always grew red on the farm but I always planted mostly ladino for deer. So your observations are that it's a myth that red clover has too many stems and deer therefore prefer white? Also, how many years on average are you keeping your red clover plots growing before they start to fade out?

Yes a myth, and if you read the food plot manual that QD sells on its web site (and that so many people here like and use) you will see that the authors of the manual put away that myth as well.

I get at least 3 years from a premium named variety such as Burdaro. Run of the mill seed will give you less. If you let it go to seed you might expect more but Deer eat the clover and not the weeds so any plot that is eaten hard can get a weed problem (Like your pasture fields where the cows eat the good stuff and leave the bad - the bad eventually takes over).

That’s why a wise farmer clips his pasture based on keeping the prominent weeds from going to seed. It helps to level the playing field.

People wonder why the weeds take over a plot. Most of the time its because the deer are eating what they like and leaving what they don't like. So, the duration of a plot depends a lot on how well it is managed.

Last edited:
I do use plenty of RC in my mixes especially overseeding spent brassica in fall. But in reality, it is browsed much less in my area than either the WC or alfalfa or chicory. And I think RC handles dry weather a little better than whites.

I do use plenty of RC in my mixes especially overseeding spent brassica in fall.

To ask a basic question, how do you overseed clover into spent brassicas? Are you just broadcasting it or is there an additional step after broadcasting such as mowing, dragging or cultipacking?

To ask a basic question, how do you overseed clover into spent brassicas? Are you just broadcasting it or is there an additional step after broadcasting such as mowing, dragging or cultipacking?
Broadcasting clover seed into spent brassica should get you a stand of clover but it will make a difference what kind of clover you are planting, red clover and annual clover starts easier than ladino type varieties. However, if there's a lot of vegetation growing there now, mowing, dragging and cultipacking will up your odds of a good stand. If you broadcast clover seed and it lands on vegetation and doesn't contact bare dirt it won't grow, so turning up a little dirt really helps your odds. one of the worst things that you can do is mow first and have a thick mat of organic matter that keeps the seed from touching soil. If you want to mow, broadcast the seed first, then mow, this method is very effective in certain conditions. If you want a guaranteed nice clover field spray the existing vegetation dead with glysophate then in early fall till the soil and plant, drag and roll clover seed with a small grain nurse crop like rye included in the mix, which protects the clover and keeps the weeds at bay until the clover is established. By next summer the rye will die and then this should be the nicest clover plot in the neighborhood. If you want to start clover in the spring substitute oats for rye. If you want to start clover in midsummer pray for lots of rain and cool weather& be prepared for total failure.

I'm more north obviously than you Brian so youhave to take those things into account on timelines. My brassica planted plots are usually browsed of all their leaves by early-mid Nov , leaving behind the tubors. So I just broadcast a RC/winter grain mix onto the mostly bare dirt left behind in late Oct/early Nov. Both of those begin to grow and feed thru the winter with the tubors of the brassica and the following spring I have a great plot thru the summer. Then in Aug/Sept I do my rotation of clover/Grain part of the Lickcreek formula. Sometimes I spray to kill but usually just over seed then mow. Easy stuff.

Thanks for the information Mennoniteman and Dogghr. In the past I've only broadcast clover seed (crimson and arrowleaf) into a disced and cultipacked seedbed and let them reseed in subsequent years after I lightly disc in oats, wheat and/or rye in October- I'm planning to add some red clover to my mix to extend the life of my clover and was curious if the small seeds would germinate if they were surface broadcast onto an unprepared seedbed (a full discing would bury the crimson and arrowleaf seeds too deep). Also, I've given up on summer spraying and learned to embrace weeds like horse nettle, which at least has some soil building qualities. Also, throw-and-mow doesn't really work here due to the hog population so some tillage is required although I try to keep it as light as possible.

If you want to start clover in midsummer pray for lots of rain and cool weather& be prepared for total failure.

You've obviously never been to southern Mississippi in the summer....

Last edited:
I always liked white clovers over red. They are good - especially ladino. But I've used Red Clover more in the last two years with fall planted rye - and I'm seeing some of what you say. I say keep it mowed to keep it fresh - maybe three mowings per summer?

Back