Carmel Apple Chips

Those look good, I bet they would make excellent deer blind snacks ! Are you just using a dehydrater ?

Those look good, I bet they would make excellent deer blind snacks ! Are you just using a dehydrater ?

Yes, I'm using a Lem, 10 tray dehydrator. I process the apples with one of those tools that peels, cores and slices all at the same time. Four gallons of apples off the tree will fill a one gallon plastic Ziplock bag and half of another bag when done. I make them very crisp - like potato chips. Sixteen hours at 150 degrees will do the trick. You can do plain or season before drying with cinnamon, brown sugar, etc....

Yes, I'm using a Lem, 10 tray dehydrator. I process the apples with one of those tools that peels, cores and slices all at the same time. Four gallons of apples off the tree will fill a one gallon plastic Ziplock bag and half of another bag when done. I make them very crisp - like potato chips. Sixteen hours at 150 degrees will do the trick. You can do plain or season before drying with cinnamon, brown sugar, etc....
That’s very interesting. I’ve always been an apple lover and it’s too bad that buying apples from a supermarket nowadays is so hit and miss. This is not apple growing country, I wish it was.

How are you applying the caramel?
In a tray before the apples go into the dehydrator - dark brown sugar, which is the main ingredient of Carmel. You can actually buy powdered Carmel, but it is expensive, and you won’t be able to tell the difference between it and dark brown sugar.

Last edited:
Back