Bull Pen, Mandy Hollow and Cari's Corner

Didn't happen...again...maybe the 5th of October they say...

5th of October is way on out there. We have 50 or 60% chance tomorrow and then zippo for a week to 10 days. Tough year to get anything going for sure. On a different note, my sawtooth trees are loaded and dropping, so the deer (and I hope not hogs) have flattened the grass and weeds around the tree trunks.

Last edited:
lak...I feel your pain. We planted today with a decent chance of rain tonight and tomorrow but not much in the next 10 days. At least cooler weather is on the way.

Well, even if the recent .50 inch of rain gets the plots growing, they will be in trouble over next ten days. Lot of posts about dry conditions across the land. Looks like this will be one of those years.

norain.JPG

Got a good soaking with showers last thur/fri. Should salvage my plots but only for the hunting season. Like you, the forecast dry. Would you guys mind having a small hurricane come up that way??? Kidding of course. Acorns falling some and good deer are MIA. I think this will be a no kill year for me perhaps. Good luck when you get at it.

Well, even if the recent .50 inch of rain gets the plots growing, they will be in trouble over next ten days. Lot of posts about dry conditions across the land. Looks like this will be one of those years.

View attachment 3616
Same here lak. Planted last Monday and got rain Tuesday. Nothing since and nothing in the forecast. Guess it could be worse. Least our livelihood is not dependent on rain like the farmers. Still got a day job but sure hoping for some moisture for my recreational activities!

I wish i could send y'all some rain. We have another hurricane come right up the middle Florida this week.

Very dry in Most of Alabama per the drought monitor. Lakngulf is your land in any of those red areas?

f236d7dbaf1b4e15e623d7523af02b41.jpg

We are still dealing with our ongoing drought here in Oklahoma... Less than 1/2" of rain since early August on Home 10. I drove by yesterday to see how many more 3 yr old loblollys died :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am right on the edge of the central Alabama drought

View attachment 3681

Moderate drought zone but very near the severe drought. It's a real test for sure this year...

Our weather guy came on with his "Winter Forecast" last Friday night and he said there is no el nino and no la nina this year so we can expect a warmer drier winter. Said IF we happen to get snow the earliest projected date that could happen is mid December whereas usually it is around November 12th...

Well, 10 day forecast spells disaster for this year's food plots. Only hope is that some seed has not germinated and is just lying there in the ground waiting for a storm to come through.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch....I will continue to grow what I can in the garden.

I tested some of my saved tomato seeds for germination some time back. The plants grew so well that I found a home for them in the garden. Since I have an unlimited water source here at home, the plants are looking good. Might just make a few maters...

sZPD9ja.jpg

EExkaT7.jpg

MGJ49hK.jpg

Also, have some mustard, collards and turnip greens coming along. Water is the key!

aE3a93h.jpg

Maybe I can keep the veggies going and depend on some of my Oklahoma friends for venison!

well we might just both need depend on Johnny for venison but you come on over to Okie land and if I happen to have some venison by the time you get here I'll trade ya for some fresh veggies. I am desperate for rain also. My plots are alive but just not growing much right now. Rain has been very scarce. Few chances later this week so there is still hope.

Hope some rain finds ya soon
todd

Well, 10 day forecast spells disaster for this year's food plots. Only hope is that some seed has not germinated and is just lying there in the ground waiting for a storm to come through.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch....I will continue to grow what I can in the garden.

I tested some of my saved tomato seeds for germination some time back. The plants grew so well that I found a home for them in the garden. Since I have an unlimited water source here at home, the plants are looking good. Might just make a few maters...

sZPD9ja.jpg

EExkaT7.jpg

MGJ49hK.jpg

Also, have some mustard, collards and turnip greens coming along. Water is the key!

aE3a93h.jpg

Maybe I can keep the veggies going and depend on some of my Oklahoma friends for venison!
Looks like you going to be on another cover of another magazine. You celebs are always so busy.

lak...What is it the farmers say??? We're only 7 days away from a drought. Well, we're there and then some! Hoping we all get some much needed rain. Love your garden pics!

sZPD9ja.jpg

EExkaT7.jpg

MGJ49hK.jpg

aE3a93h.jpg

On the drought I completely understand. I planted plots at Home 10 the 21st of August and went into a miserable drought. We got a couple decent rains on it last week and I guess I had a bunch of dormant seed because the plot started germiantaing everywhere that had bare dirt. The Throw N Mow areas did absolutely nothing :(

I could certainly oblige on the venison for veggies deal! Got the call last night that "Laid Back 9" is ready to pick up in nicely wrapped white packages :)

I Was Shocked!! (aka I will use this planting method again!!!)
I took a trip to the farm today to help my Mom with a few things. After lunch we rode over to the hunting land so see the bare land that should have been my food plots. I had planted wheats/oats/rye/turnips on September 21, got a small rain on the 26th, but nothing since. Expecting the worse I was shocked at what we found...

pxnH3PS.jpg

Y72LehU.jpg

Notice the nice green growth "in rows". My plot preparation this year was slightly different than normal. After I tilled the plots I ran over them with a chisel plow. This created the rows or furrows.

iuZaFkS.jpg

At planting time I just broadcast fertilizer and seed over the plot and then used a drag harrow on it. My thought and hope was that most of the seed would find it way to the furrows and be slightly covered. The 1/2 inch rain came a week after planting but nothing since. What I found today looked almost like the seed had been planted with a seed drill. Now to just get a little more rain in the near future.

I1EVQqX.jpg

MqIdisu.jpg

Purple Top Turnips are struggling but good germination.
oemOUdn.jpg

For so many years, until 1959 the Alabama state flower was the Goldenrod. Seems some ladies in Butler County did not like the idea of a wildflower being the state flower. I think it should have remained, it is all over our beautiful state this time of the year.
w6MgQeD.jpg

Back