Bull Pen, Mandy Hollow and Cari's Corner

DROP TINE BITES THE DUST!!!

oOLZfjw.jpg

The guy who lives just west of the Bull Pen got Mr. Drop Tine on January 16. He said he scored 130. I wish it had been one of my grandsons, or me, or my fellow hunters, but the neighbor is a good guy, so glad he got him, and hope the old boy left some genes in the neighborhood does.
The map below shows the area. Drop Tine killed at the red X. We have pictures of him at the yellow circles, both at Mandy and Bull Pen. Another neighbor had night pictures of him at the blue circle. The red outline is roughly a mile square.

droptine.JPG

And tonight I see that several of my nocturnal friends made it thru the season. Maybe they are bred to Mr. Drop Tine.

doe.JPG

Last edited:
Well it was fun to have the pictures and chance at him.
You can be sure he'll have lots of young drop tine kids hitting the ground this spring with plenty of potential!

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

DROP TINE BITES THE DUST!!!

oOLZfjw.jpg

The guy who lives just west of the Bull Pen got Mr. Drop Tine on January 16. He said he scored 130. I wish it had been one of my grandsons, or me, or my fellow hunters, but the neighbor is a good guy, so glad he got him, and hope the old boy left some genes in the neighborhood does.
The map below shows the area. Drop Tine killed at the red X. We have pictures of him at the yellow circles, both at Mandy and Bull Pen. Another neighbor had night pictures of him at the blue circle. The red outline is roughly a mile square.

View attachment 5952

And tonight I see that several of my nocturnal friends made it thru the season. Maybe they are bred to Mr. Drop Tine.

View attachment 5957
Bummer, I was hoping you guys would nail him. But it happens. Cool buck tho.

Well congrats to your neighbor. Cool deer. Sorry it didn't happen for you but that's how it goes with deer hunting. Like You said, Hopefully there will be more drop tines in the future.

lak...You're neighbor got him one fine buck! I've never seen a drop tine on the hoof or on a camera on our place. Such cool racks. Wish it had been you but if not, at least someone you know and like got him.

A droptine buck has always been on my wish list but alas they are very few and far between in the wild herd in our state. At least you had a little history with one, I never have...

Bummer on the drop tine deer but there will no doubt be more bucks to chase next season. The grandsons will have their chance with someone as serious as you managing the land.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

man thats like my luck, right before season ends the neighbor kills a great buck, that I was hoping would make it!

Great updates and recon on where that ol deer traveled/lived!

Sorry you guys didn't get the drop tine buck. I've only had one on camera and he was just a 6pt up top. I'm sure his genetics will carry on.

I laughed reading your grandsons comment about breakfast with grandma. I had to be up at 5am to have my granny's breakfast out of the oven and hunting season was the only time I made it. She makes the best homemade biscuits. She's also celebrating her 86th bday today.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Miscellaneous Early Spring
Just a few photos from the last couple weeks. Seems like spring is here but I know a cold spell will snap us soon.

(1) Nuisance Oreo cow now has a little oreo. Cute little fella, and the closest I have ever been to the cow. But she still visits Mandy Hollow at will

eq9k6wM.jpg

AotxI1Q.jpg

(2) I put posts in the ground for a tractor/storage shed about three years ago. Then, we had the stream of robberies in the area, including near the proposed shed. Well, I have decided to proceed with the build, enclose and lock as best I can, and place the cell camera on the entrance door. I spent a couple of days putting up rafters. Will thiefs be as much fun to catch as hogs?

5nYovND.jpg

(3) While at the farm I was pleased to see some pear trees popping with blooms. Hope the freeze is calm to them. These trees were little seeds in my greenhouse in January 2012.

1DnvWEX.jpg

guABeWG.jpg

trB7JhD.jpg

Even have one at home that is putting on blooms

tPcN3N8.jpg

(4) And the 2017 tomatoes are coming along

NGPSrzC.jpg

(5) Had the pleasure of spending a week in Chapel Hill, NC with my son, dil, and three grandsons....Carter 8 Ben 6 Andrew 18 months
I really enjoy helping out with the boys. Spent most of one day at school with Carter and Ben. Sat with them during lunch and interacted with many of their friends. I have visited enough that some of their friends know poppa as well. Always a joy!

Ben had sent poppa a pre-visit message that he wanted to build his own American Ninja Warrior course. So we scrounged thru the basement and started thinking. Ben told his Mom that most of it was his idea. He thought it was neat that we used an old kitchen towel and Dad's Tshirt for part of the rope swing. About half way thru he said "Poppa, this if FUN!" That's all I needed!

yIyhzed.jpg

And I have a new helper in the garden!

ibWWwFC.jpg

I am glad you aren't letting the hoodlums get the best of you and you are continuing with the shed build. I know that what the cowardly thieves prey on is properties with long intervals between visits. We have had 1 place broken into along our road in the last 3 years and it is a cabin that the owners visit every couple of weeks in summer and maybe once a month in winter. Try to make your presence or someone you know who lives nearby presence seen as often as possible. If you have a gate into the property keep it constantly locked even when you are there so that the norm isn't unlocked when you are there and locked when you are gone. If there is dirt/mud through your gate have someone drive through it often to put tracks on the road...

On the cow deal...I hear they taste real good!

I noticed spring has sprung yesterday over on Home 10 (25)...fruit trees in full bloom so looks like no fruit again this year :(

The grandkids are lucky to have such a great poppa!

Fruit blossoms! Nice! I won't get to see those for a while. Sorry that you didn't get a crack at ol' drop tine, glad he went to a decent neighbor anyway. Having history and the harvest story is awesome in my book. Great seeing the young'uns playing and getting to work as always. So glad you are back under construction. I have had zero issues since getting every little thing out of sight and locked up.

Fruit blossoms! Nice! I won't get to see those for a while. Sorry that you didn't get a crack at ol' drop tine, glad he went to a decent neighbor anyway. Having history and the harvest story is awesome in my book. Great seeing the young'uns playing and getting to work as always. So glad you are back under construction. I have had zero issues since getting every little thing out of sight and locked up.

Thanks, Weasel. I enjoy the work, riding the tractor, planting stuff, etc. but when I see that the grand kids enjoy being there and helping, it just keeps me going. Would love for each grand to get their first whitetail on the property. I do hope to build and lock in such a way that I can at least get a picture of any intruders!

A couple of weeks back I received this in the mail = an invitation to my grand daughter's five year Princess birthday party. She told me that I was "the only boy invited, because I was her favorite boy"

tGl4hRH.jpg

There was NO WAY I was going to miss it, and even got to spend a couple of days with the family. Camille invited all the girls from her school, and they all came dressed as Princesses. As they arrived she had crowns, rings, stick on ear rings, and lip gloss for them. They were quite a group, and we had a wonderful party.

CuRm3C2.jpg

Camille did not leave out any detail. She thought Poppa should have a crown also!

sRdhoAx.jpg

Being welcome into the lives of these little folks is a treasure for sure. I love being Poppa!

My friend Alan checked the cards from his cameras yesterday and reported "A lot of deer made it...several small bucks...small 8 during daylight every morning at bull pen last week of season"
Here are a couple of highlights:

(1) This is from Mandy Hollow. Hope he made it thru the season
N9r23r9.jpg

(2) Our blue birds are NOT camera shy. Love this picture
ZOfFmRM.jpg

This is the reason I don't do prescribed burning. I think this is a little more than they bargained for.

RChPSCI.jpg

Back