Bull Pen, Mandy Hollow and Cari's Corner

It looks like when the time comes you have someone to continue your tradition and take care of the property in the future! It looks like the future will be in good hands with the training and mentoring he is receiving now!

Made it to the farm today to hunt a bit, check on camera and run a chainsaw on some sweetgums that were crowding some of my 2006 Sawtooth. I decided to hinge the sweetgum and create a mess of an area.

PUNMK2A.jpg

DznmJjJ.jpg

I also gave a good haircut to many of the Sawtooth. They were much in need of some pruning.

ounzlLZ.jpg

You Gotta See This!!

I was looking thru some old photos on my external disk and Photobucket and ran across this one. This will show you why I hate squirrels, and go to all extents to keep them out of my garden.
I have this very crooked pine tree in my yard and the squirrels used it as storage for Vine Ripe Tomatoes!

B5WX1Kr.jpg

Here is a closeup

LFxBYX9.jpg

You Gotta See This!!

I was looking thru some old photos on my external disk and Photobucket and ran across this one. This will show you why I hate squirrels, and go to all extents to keep them out of my garden.
I have this very crooked pine tree in my yard and the squirrels used it as storage for Vine Ripe Tomatoes!

B5WX1Kr.jpg

Here is a closeup

LFxBYX9.jpg
Hate is a strong word for you to use since you always seem so laid back, but that tomato in the tree just cracked me up. Maybe you are baiting squirrels for the season??

That is beautiful. One of the walls on my cottage property needs redoing. It was made with heavy creosoted two by material held in with six inch poles cabled and staked back into the dry side. It is probably forty to fifty years old and is finally leaning towards the water badly. How many hours would you say this wall project took? I definitely need to put a new wall on my must do list.

Lak

I just now went back to read this thread since it has been a while. Jack's hunting story is truly heart warming. I think it was Native Hunter said put it in a book and give it to him. Good to see he enjoys all of the outdoor experience and helps with pruning trees.

Your sawtooth are doing great. Congrats on the persimmons. The chisel plow did make a difference in the plot given the lack of rainfall.

I and others love your story telling and what you share of your habitat work. Hope 2017 is a great year for you. ;)

Wayne

Last edited:
That is beautiful. One of the walls on my cottage property needs redoing. It was made with heavy creosoted two by material held in with six inch poles cabled and staked back into the dry side. It is probably forty to fifty years old and is finally leaning towards the water badly. How many hours would you say this wall project took? I definitely need to put a new wall on my must do list.
Hard to say exactly how long it took. I did the project myself, had some knee surgery in the middle, had to redo my anchors, etc. etc. etc.

The concrete block wall that I was trying to preserve was at least that old. They "dead man" anchored it back into the yard with long rebar.
I am amazed at how well it has done over the years, but the water was washing out the footing and the bottom two row of blocks were decaying.

I have a lot of water coming thru the yard during heavy rains, so I miscalculated the pressure on my new wall for the first couple of rains. It "leaned" a bit and I had to start over with my anchor system. Also, I installed a couple of drain areas in the wall, with three foot concrete footing beneath, and landscaped to channel the water to those two areas. Two BIG rains in last month and so far so good. Hopefully it is there for good.

Deer Down in Bibb County!!

This afternoon I saw this picture posted on Facebook. Alan's message was:
I got the hottest hunter in the cold woods today to warm me up!

yo2AWmK.jpg

Before the sun set he had some other action that warmed things up. For Christmas Alan got a Black Powder rifle and was anxious to give it a try.

oCj5RVz.jpg

He and Leah sat in the same stand that I used on Christmas Day.....remember 74 degrees? Well, today started out at 17 degrees and was at 26 late afternoon. I got a call at 5:12 that Leah had spotted a big buck in the middle green field and Alan had fired the muzzle loader. They were excited. He felt like it was a good hit, and that the buck had crashed about 100 yards from the stand, but they waited a good bit just to be sure.

At 6:15 I got the following pictures. I think Leah was just as happy as Alan. This was the first time Leah had seen a deer while hunting! I am glad to see another decent buck taken from Mandy Hollow.

owdbWej.jpg

k8rhHyJ.jpg

A good buck for our area, and we think an older one, but not sure. Here is a picture we got in early November

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Great story and buck. And to get it along with his woman, even better. Hope she helped with the drag. And to shoot with a new weapon which sometimes can be a jinx, is pretty cool. Always a blast when family or friend succeed on your land I think.

Great story and buck. And to get it along with his woman, even better. Hope she helped with the drag. And to shoot with a new weapon which sometimes can be a jinx, is pretty cool. Always a blast when family or friend succeed on your land I think.

She was excited for the hunt. She has been with him a time or two, but first real action. I asked Alan if the buck responded to her perfume.
Here is the deer from November 11, still with remnants of velvet.

kMStKGx.jpg

I am glad for Alan to get a nice one. He does put in the time on stand, and it shows. I asked his Dad last night "what are we doing wrong?" Here is deer from last January and yesterday. Definitely close cousins!

9YjiaM8.jpg

She was excited for the hunt. She has been with him a time or two, but first real action. I asked Alan if the buck responded to her perfume.
Here is the deer from November 11, still with remnants of velvet.

kMStKGx.jpg

I am glad for Alan to get a nice one. He does put in the time on stand, and it shows. I asked his Dad last night "what are we doing wrong?" Here is deer from last January and yesterday. Definitely close cousins!

9YjiaM8.jpg

lakngulf - you have to be there...

Congrats to Alan on another fine deer!

lakngulf - you have to be there...

Congrats to Alan on another fine deer!

I plan to go tomorrow and Wednesday, but I enjoy others getting them! These guys showed up on camera last night in the same spot. Alan and his Dad drug the deer right over this area!

lnOGdMN.jpg

QIbci49.jpg

But the guy at deer processing said tarsal glands on Alan's deer did not seem to be at full rut stage, so just pre rut. We should have some action in next several days

I was at my daughter's on Monday and we were making plans for Poppa and Jack to hunt again this Friday and Saturday morning. We will hunt, spend the night with Gramma, hunt again Saturday morning and then get Jack back to Bham in time for basketball. During the discussion Jack says "Let's just hunt a little bit on Saturday morning so we will have time for breakfast with Gramma!"

The boy has his priorities in order!!1
hzifGxy.jpg

Jack and I enjoyed sitting out in the cold together but did not have any luck this time. We were excited, however, after checking the cameras to see that there are still several deer in the area.

The Drop Tine deer made his way to the Bull Pen, and some smaller buck were active at Mandy, but mostly at night

oOLZfjw.jpg

VXU1ZSJ.jpg

BDjRdQ1.jpg

cd1yxpb.jpg

iazeNZ7.jpg

7zFaxTe.jpg

DVtOR0O.jpg

ACcM8yE.jpg

Those are some great cam pics. Had my first drop tine buck ever show up for about 2 weeks this last season. Didn't hang around long but was cool to see.

Back