Best chicory to plant

j-bird

I'm going to keep this simple because it obviously can get complicated.....

What specific varieties of chicory have worked best for you guys?

I am re-vamping some plots and may even plant a chicory only or chicory heavy plot. I used to think variety didn't matter.....I ran into a red clover (Barduro) that changed that thinking.

I used chicory in the past simply as an additive to a perennial clover plot. However I have seen that chicory becomes a "gold mine" for a period of time in late October/early November here. I am not sure why, but it is very clear that this time frame something happens in the chicory that causes the deer to target it. I am hoping to capitalize on this for archery hunting. As such I want a deer friendly chicory and not just some "additive".

WI. I know, I know. I have planted a few different varieties and theirs grows better, looks better, lasts longer(I have a plot going on 5 years) and the deer hammer it. Well worth the $40. I plant mine with clover.

WI. I know, I know. I have planted a few different varieties and theirs grows better, looks better, lasts longer(I have a plot going on 5 years) and the deer hammer it. Well worth the $40. I plant mine with clover.
Thanks chummer - I won't knock a BOB product, especially if it works. I found a great red clover because of a BOB product.

Not to hijack, but do you mind sharing a little bit about your red clover?

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
The red clover I found was a variety called Barduro - it was in a BOB mix (evolved harvest brand) that I used as I had a small plot and simply wanted to get some fall seed into the ground, targeting brassica. I had no idea I would get the results I did. It wasn;t really even noticed in the fall, it came in thick and the deer loved it come the following spring. I am not sure how long it will last, but I am certainly trying to locate some to use in other applications. I make a few posts about it and get some great feedback from Okie and Native on their use/history with it as well - all in my property tour (pages 18 thru 21 or so).

I used a chicory from Pennington Seed. Can't remember the variety but it did really, really well in my drier upland plots for three years until I plowed it in.

Here the chicory grows for miles along the road edge in the gravel as well as the snow gullies along the road; the deer eat it all summer and fall. I used the chicory from Welter seed--always just buy whatever is listed as cold hardy. Deer eat it well in the plot despite it growing in so many places along the roads. It is mixed in with clover in my driveway plot and planting it at 3lbs, acre rate with the clover gave me more than enough of it. Will try at a 2 1/2 lb of chicory rate in my next clover planting.

Along with WI, Commander is a dandy one.....

Last fall I planted a new one to test call Antler. Ask me about it at the end of this year....

Last edited:
This is WI Chicory and Barduro Red Clover in the spring that was planted in the fall with turnips. In the fall it was a solid mass of turnips (second pic) and transformed to this (first pic) in the spring.

qps1nR7.jpg

8fNlhHM.jpg

Hey guys, I definitely don’t want to hijack the thread but I tried hard last fall to find some Barduro to no avail and did some more searching yesterday after reading this post. Does anyone know where it’s available!

Hey guys, I definitely don’t want to hijack the thread but I tried hard last fall to find some Barduro to no avail and did some more searching yesterday after reading this post. Does anyone know where it’s available!

I couldn't find it either. I planted a new variety because of that. Can't remember the name right now.

Edit - I used Gallant Red Clover last year. Also, I made a mistake above. Instead of Antler Chicory it was Six Point. Pays to keep good notes. I totally remembered the chicory incorrectly.

Last edited:
I just contacted Barenbung seed to see where/how I can get my hands on some Barduro clover. I will pass along what they tell me. I found it in Evolved Harvest products.

Back