Archery, will it ever be the same again?

In his memory.
a92da8886ec684582f743c2b35bf0760.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rascal bout killed my desire to post in the Outdoor Cafe. Gonna have to fire up the Traeger n show some more cooks now.

To change the topic n sort of hijack this thread, here's a couple of pix from Thanksgiving at the farm. 9th year we've "planted" a tree in the woods for the grandkids to discover. Love this tradition and hope we continue it for years to come when great grandkids are involved. Meme, Poppy and the grand pups.
Christmas tree 2019.jpg

Turkeys ready to come off the grill on Thanksgiving day. One of left was not brined. The one on the right soaked in brine the previous day. I don't understand what happens during the brining process but it works. So much juicier when brined and my brine is really simple - Water and a cup of Kosher salt in a cooler with ice poured over the top to sit all night.
Turkeys 2019.jpg

Back to bowhunting - Brooks whacked a huge doe the following day. Scale is broken so we didn't weigh but this was a mature nanny. Shot the largest buck we've seen on the property 10 minutes after shooting this doe. Sad to say we never recovered the buck. His tehter strap got caught up in his arm at full draw and unfortunately, hit to buck high. Hate when that happens and it hardly ever does but still sick over not recovering the buck. Hopefully the shot was not mortal.
Brooks doe 2019.JPG

Not sure I posted the following bow kill from a few weeks earlier. If I did I apologize. This buck taken by Brooks was what we think a 5.5 yr old or older bruiser. Gray, roman nose and beat up. Not the largest rack but a huge deer for our part of the country.

Bowhunting is alive and well folks! Brooks and Dustin shoot wheelie bows even though they've taken several with trads. Would make no difference to me if they were using X-bows. The thrill still exists on every deer taken.
Brooks Buck 2019.JPG

Will Archery ever be the same again? Archery is just like life, every new day is exactly the same as the day before, yet totally different. Do I embrace each new day or thing as an opportunity, even as I continue to use and value old things? Am I a pessimist or an optimist? Is my glass half full or half empty? I'm already looking forward to next deer season as an opportunity. And it won't be the same as this past year. In my dreaming of improvements to stands and planting stuff and fixing equipment I've fully convinced myself that it will be better than last year.

Now I'm sure you guys know where I'm headed here. Our bow season at one time started mid Oct and to this day now caries till end of year. Now the season starts in mid Sept. So now that we selfproclaimed dedicated archers have these ridiculously long season, the why is there drama of other weapons included in that time frame. Who designated that bow season is longer than rifle. Why is there even a rifle season? Why don't we have bow only season? Would those that are upset with the allowance of other type weapons in bow season be happy if we returned to the 1-2 week bow season such as PA once had, and then the cross bow and etc. hunters also have their 2 week season for only their weapon choice, then be happy? I doubt it. The seasons are now so ridiculously long then there is plenty time for all to have their own weapon hunt. So either group them all together, or make each have a week long seasons. God did not delegate the vertical bow as his approved weapon of choice, even tho I am certainly biased. I could care less if all weapons were banned but my choice of bow. Btw, only recurves have been allowed in Olympic comptition since 1900 so every one else doesn't count.

In our state, it comes down to opportunity versus success. We have a five month archery season. Our modern gun hunters kill more deer in one weekend than the archery/crossbow hunters do in five months. Why not give the archery hunters much more opportunity because they arent doing much damage anyway. Our firearm seasons are four to six weeks. If we had two week firearm seasons, our deer population would be out of control.

In our state, it comes down to opportunity versus success. We have a five month archery season. Our modern gun hunters kill more deer in one weekend than the archery/crossbow hunters do in five months. Why not give the archery hunters much more opportunity because they arent doing much damage anyway. Our firearm seasons are four to six weeks. If we had two week firearm seasons, our deer population would be out of control.
Why do you think a shorter firearm season would cause out of control deer population? I am 1 state over and we have a 2 week rifle season and we are definitely not anywhere near out of control on our deer population. As a matter of fact I wish they would go back to 1 week but alas I think the wildlife department wants to go to 3 weeks which I oppose vehemently!

I didn’t explain myself well. My point is season is so long now compared to what it used to be that there is plenty of time for a variety of non rifle weapons be used thru that period. So no need to long for the old days when the actual seasons were so short. I prefer my vert bows but I see no reason. To exclude other bow types thru season. Just my opinion. BTW our. Our bow kill is 30000+ which is pretty good chunk of total kill for a small populated state.
Now as for needing long rifle season... most areas get 80% of their buck kill first 3 days of season. Little affect on length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have not "HuntedWIthanArchedLimb" (sorry just can't use the b...hunting word") in several years but when my son and I did it was by far the most fun hunt experience
1. Back in the nineties Alabama doe season for gun was only three days....December 26, 27, 28 But does were open all season with bow.
2. The experience of having to be right there among the herd is quite a rush, and will get your heart pumping. Trying to be so still and yet pull back that string unnoticed.
3. When gun season starts in Alabama the deer are GONE

Grandson Jack wants to get into bowhunting and I hope to make that happen.

Ron Kulas will no longer be joining us. Hopefully the bowhunting community of this forum will survive this monumental loss.

Thanks ! I kew him as Rancid Crabtree on Bowsite, and even though there are some rabid elitists over there, they deep-sixed him several years ago. If you get banned there, well........ He was a pain in the ass then, and I had hopes that he would have changed, gave him the benefit of the doubt, but looks like a leopard truly doesn’t change his spots.

I want to say something else. This forum has the least contentious asshats of any I visit, and I truly appreciate that the moderators keep it that way. I was determined not to post in this thread again lest I run my mouth too much, but I had to post this.

I started to comment a couple times - then put it away. I don't want to argue about bow hunting. Myself, I enjoy bow hunting more than gun hunting and it was difficult to sit by and not weigh in - I'm glad I didn't now. I started at 14 with a Browning recurve, and in 37 years I've had 3 compound bows - this year I bought a crossbow, but only was able to hunt with it a couple times.

Due to my past occupation I got to hunt complete NY bow seasons in the past but not rifle seasons. I shot a Hoyt Aspen which though a compound was a great finger shooting bow. I enjoyed it immensely and practiced everyday enjoying every single release of the arrow. It never got old. Now that I can hunt any season though I prefer the rifle season. I simply love to hunt from the ground and with a bow that is too much of a handicap to me, with a rifle it is not a handicap at all. Hunting with a rifle I perhaps will never take as many deer as I actually did with the bow but I simply enjoy it more today. When I was younger climbing high in the trees was like walking on the ground--not so anymore. So for me bow hunting though I may do it now and again in a still hunting fashion will likely never be my main hunting mode again--sad but realistic.

My hat is off though to those that choose to bow hunt even during rifle season; they are partaking in and enjoying one of the purist hunting experiences ever and for those few lucky ones still able to do it nothing has really changed.

Ha, I bit my tongue a couple of times too. The dude seems to be good at instigating the worst in people. How does he stay on these organization's boards meant to promote good things. Do the people around him not see this personality trait? Is it just an internet thing for him? I find it amazing a known poacher (that's how I read the article with illegally taking game with bait) is accepted by the bow hunting orgs.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ha, I bit my tongue a couple of times too. The dude seems to be good at instigating the worst in people. How does he stay on these organization's boards meant to promote good things. Do the people around him not see this personality trait? Is it just an internet thing for him? I find it amazing a known poacher (that's how I read the article with illegally taking game with bait) is accepted by the bow hunting orgs.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Most of those boards are probably starving for volunteers.

Back