Any idea on this weed??

kansas-Andres

IMG_0558.JPG

This weed or maybe not ? Is growing strong in the brassica plots I've planted. Any insight would be appreciated, thank you.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kansas, I think that is Beefstake (aka Perilla). Some of them will have a lavender tint to the leaves and some are just green like the ones in your picture. There is also a lot of variation in teeth on the leaves of this species.

Here are a couple of links with pictures for you to look at:

http://cazort.net/photos/perilla-closeup

https://blissfulsong.wordpress.com/tag/how-to-grow-perilla/

I could be wrong, and it may be something else - I have that stuff on my mind right now, because I have been killing the heck out of it lately...:D

Another possibility is young fireweed (aka pilewort), but I would expect more teeth in the leaves for that.

Neither plant is desirable.

Last edited:
NH, I believe you are correct with your ID. Stuff popped up quick and thick. Definetly going heavier with the round up next year.

Thank for the help!!!

The aggravating thing about Perilla is that you won't even see it until about this time of year, and it all doesn't germinate at once. You will feel like you have it knocked out pretty good, but when you come back to the plot a week later the stuff is everywhere again.

At this time of year I want to get plots planted and/or do some final maintenance and get out, but that stuff won't let it happen. Like you said, it pops up quickly. And I might add that it can make next years seed crop quickly too.

Do deer eat it?

G
No, never seen a deer touch it. The few sources I can find say the same thing.

The reason there is so much variation in the species is because in Asia they have propagated it as a potherb for centuries, so lots of different cultivars exist. But, I found another source that says the USDA has identified 3 different toxins in it that were toxic to cattle and horses. I just wish they had kept it in Asia............

Last edited:
That is Waterhemp (Amaranthus tuberculatus) pigweed family...

It is a very serious threat to agriculture these days; big time herbicide resistant.

Beefstake/perilla has serrated leaf edges and looks nothing like this plant

That is Waterhemp (Amaranthus tuberculatus) pigweed family...

It is a very serious threat to agriculture these days; big time herbicide resistant.

Beefstake/perilla has serrated leaf edges and looks nothing like this plant

After looking a some pictures of waterhemp, I will agree. I've read about it but never seen it in my area, but everything looks right in the pictures. Good call.

I'm not necessarily saying that vernal is wrong but I'm saying that I am 97% sure that this is young water hemp.

8 15 Farm 077 (1200 x 900).jpg

G

I know because I was so good at growing it, gly resistant. A more slender leaf than the plant pictured above. Good deer browse.

Above plant I would say probably red root pigweed.

9 15 Farm 015 (1200 x 900).jpg

9 15 Farm 016 (1200 x 900).jpg

G

Last edited:
Back