ANOTHER ORGANIZATION???

I guess I'm still confused about this need for a competing group.

This forum and numerous others are available to anyone who wants to use them...for free. Why is some group necessary to give membership dollars to....and get nothing in return?

FTR - I paid dues to the "Q" group from 2001-2013 or '14...and was on that forum from '99 until they gave me the boot for speaking my mind. I too thought they were a group who had my and the whitetail's best interests in mind. I learned that wasn't true. Since then, I find no need to give my dollars to some other group. I suppose it may be about some social aspect of group membership?

Exactly. If there was a club that got togther all the time to drink Coca Cola, talk about Coca Cola, share ideas how to make Coca Cola better, etc. Then Coca Cola said "y'all can't do that anymore" I bet a lot of those people would start drinking Pepsi.

Maybe not the best analogy but you get my point. Where is our Pepsi?
On a sid note, I have worked for Pepsi for 36 years! Lol I am in no way trying to sell Pepsi!
Dissclaimer: I am more of a dt. Mountain dew fan:p

I have to agree with smsmith. I have witnessed a lot of groups, not just hunting related, that started out with ideals that sounded real good. Then, they got involved with corporate sponsors and began cowtowing to the people who run those companies. I was a long time member of B.A.S.S. and the NWTF. I saw the same things happen there. You ever wonder why the people that started those groups are no longer involved? Greed eventually takes over most to those organizations and they lose sight of the principles that got them there in the first place. I cannot and will not spend my dollars supporting national groups any more.

I never was part of the organization. I live and work within a few miles of the HQ.

Sounds like I didn't miss much. :(

Exactly. If there was a club that got togther all the time to drink Coca Cola, talk about Coca Cola, share ideas how to make Coca Cola better, etc. Then Coca Cola said "y'all can't do that anymore" I bet a lot of those people would start drinking Pepsi.

Maybe not the best analogy but you get my point. Where is our Pepsi?

Buck - Not to be blunt but, we are the Pepsi! That was what caused all of this. We where on their forum and not preaching the message they wanted. They want to be the resource, the experts.....and we proved that was crap. Our community challenged the establishment - and we know how that ends. They wanted us telling everyone how you had to be a member and the like. We proved you didn't have to attend a deer steward class, or enroll in their classified lands program or be a member or attend a banquette. Instead we developed into a rouge community where we could demonstrate you didn't need any of that. As such we threatened their validity. It wasn't our intention to do so....at least it wasn't mine. But we took the education, and outreach and those principles to heart and tried to use this knowledge and evidence to welcome others, and we where pretty good at it! They want the world to think they own QDM, and in technical/legal terms they may......however we proved that you don't need the "A" that goes along with the "QDM" part.

Like any rouge faction.....the "machine" that spawned it saw us as enough of a threat to warrant their attention. In the long term they made the right call. They now control the message, they can now better sell their "secret" of QDM, they can now make the average deer hunter more dependent on them. This then facilitates more corporate sponsorship, more participation in their various money making efforts and tightens their grip as "the leader". They have better control of their product. It was a business decision and money talks.

What I find interesting is how they want to be "the resource" yet they truly have ZERO power. They can't confront your state DNR, they can't speak out against a particular piece of legislation and your DNR doesn't even have to invite them to the table for discussion. They will not and can not represent YOU. They won't point blank tell you that, but they will lead you to believe that they have your best interests in mind. They want the image, but they lack the authority. Some folks saw this long ago, some of us took a little longer.

Another organization to challenge QDMA - to be honest.....more than likely would eventually turn into the same monster with a different name. People get greedy, people want power, people have ego's......

I have found that many conservation organizations struggle because nobody wants to put boots on the ground. How do your work days at conservation clubs, leases, and bird dog clubs work out? It's hard to convince your wife that you need to spent another Saturday doing something for deer hunting. A successful club can eat away at your time and help is needed in many areas: youth sports, church, soup kitchens, etc. Another thing I think club memberships and participation are just down period. How healthy is your local lions, mason, or kiawanas membership? I would love to see regional field days become popular. As would love to visit other members farms to see what they are doing; it's tough to show a bunch of people where you hunt. I would love more Midwest centered nurseries too; especially a local one. I like to window shop; it's hard for me to do online.

I agree with the local level as well. It would be nice if I knew if some of the members here lived in close enough proximity. That would help to maybe set up a way we could get together in person

I don't need "no" stinking national organization! We're managing our own properties as free men. Every state and property is unique, so do as you please, even if it's wrong.

State problems need to be handled at a grass roots/state level, as the guys from MN are trying to do. We're giving QDMA way to much credit. Mention QMDA to your congressman and see bewilderment. Who is QDMA anyway?

Nearly everything works better at a local/state level....conservation orgs, charities and especially government. Just look at the inefficiencies of national charities, or god forbid our federal government.....

qdma claimed me as a member simply because I showed up at their earlier seminars to see what was happening there. I had been attending any hunting seminars I knew about for years. The University of Alabama conducted a lot of them before qdma showed up and got involved.

I insisted qdma remove me from their membership rolls when they proved they were NOT for voluntary restraint in hunting bucks. Hamilton and Murphy were on a "study committee" that recommended the reduction of Alabama's bag limit for bucks by 98 percent. In Alabama, our legislature has excluded hunting seasons and bag limits from the administrative review process, so hunters have no input provided by law.

Our conservation department has turned itself from conservation of wildlife into a wildlife management department. We rebuilt our statewide deer herd from an estimated 1600 to more than 1.7 million through conservation and without their mandatory wildlife management restrictions. We had some of the most liberal seasons and bag limits in the USA with plenty of room to conduct voluntary wildlife management until the qdm movement got involved in our rule making process to push their agenda through government restrictions.

That's my feelings about the qdma and their involvement in our state.

Last edited:
"Water's for teardrops. Dickel's for drinking." (Merle Haggerd)

Not trying to be picky but his name was/is Merle Haggard.

One time I had woman working me down at Tillie's Tap in Keosauqua, there was a cowboy working her simultaneously, some crappy new age country music playing on the jukebox. She asked me if I like country music? I said at one time I did and that I like Merle. She said "that's what they all say, if you like Merle then sing Momma Tried". So I said "The first thing I remember knowing was a lonesome whistle blowing" and off we went to watch tv at her place.

G

Not trying to be picky but his name was/is Merle Haggard.

One time I had woman working me down at Tillie's Tap in Keosauqua, there was a cowboy working her simultaneously, some crappy new age country music playing on the jukebox. She asked me if I like country music? I said at one time I did and that I like Merle. She said "that's what they all say, if you like Merle then sing Momma Tried". So I said "The first thing I remember knowing was a lonesome whistle blowing" and off we went to watch tv at her place.

G

Now THAT'S a good story, G. Thanks for the spelling correction, too.

One of the first things my wife and I argued about was the horror movie "The Strangers." She described the music the home invaders kept playing as some awful, old country song. I said, "*********! That's Mama Tried by Hag, by God!!!!"

Ignore the spanish language for the few lines Glenn Howerton has in this scene. The music is so incongruous as the tension builds, it keeps you off balance.

And I should be so critical as you point out, it's Mama not Momma. I was expecting heads to roll.

G

Back