American Chestnut amazing growth!

possum

IMG_1886.JPG Thought I'd share this photo of one of my B3F3 American Chestnuts. I direct seeded several in March, this one has performed the best.
That is a 5' shelter tube so this tree grew 6.5' in 5 months.
Pretty amazing!
Hope to have nuts from these trees in about 5-6 more years.

These were gifts from the previous president of our GA chapter of the AC foundation.

I planted a few direct in ground in direct sun with tree tubes, a few in pots and a couple direct in the woods. The ones I planted under closed canopy have grown less than 12" last I checked ad have been browsed by something at least once. All the potted trees died unfortunately. I've learned from that mistake and if I do pots again I will go with the recommended root makers and growing media vs the home made pots and soil I used.

The seeds aren't for sale anywhere but if you make a $300 donation to TACF they will send some.

Not sure if all these will be totally blight resistant but according to the guy who gave them they should be "highly resistant" and he recommended if any show die back in a few years to remove them and only keep ones that show they will fight it off and fully recover.

Interesting

I direct seeded ~300 white oak and shumard acorns in 5 foot tubes last fall and have less than 5 with top growth

Spent the whole summer "pulling tubes/stakes"

bill

Shoot this is my fourth summer with tubed oaks and i barely have a few starting to come through the tops, most are only half way up haha thats dang good growth

This is why American Chestnut was the most dominant tree back in the day. It easily swallowed up any oak trees under its canopy.

Back