Amazing

120, some neighbors shoot does, some don't. The deer filter to my property from a mile or so. Almost everyone passes yearling bucks. It's 50/50 that will pass 2, and 3s. Getting bucks to 4 plus still isn't easy, but they are there.
Neighbors make or break a property. When neighborhoods start passing 4 year olds, you could really have something special. Guys do, and that's when you see the 160 and up bucks....

You've got enough land and should be able hold deer and not be a pass through. I'd be trying to figure out how to get them to bed on my property if I was you. Thicken it up and low, low pressure. Large sanctuary is a good start if you don't have one.

The guys who take pot shots at us just have no clue how interesting and fun owning land in our part of the state. There is a reason land prices are the way they are - even though deer hunting in Waupaca county is a full contact sport, there are few counties more fun to own land.

I bought my fencing through a DNR bulk buy. I think there were 8 of us. If I remember right the fence cost about $1/ft and $2/ft to put up. The DNR foresters were great helping with the fence buy, recommending contractors and helping with the cost share paperwork. I also got them to show me some fencing projects before I did it. It's amazing the potential to develop habitat this can provide

There is one thing we can agree on Bull and that is land prices are much much higher in Waupaca County than in Rapides parish, La. Much higher. It would be challenging and take time for me to get $3000/acre for my farm even though the city limits is on one boundary and there are subdivisions on several boundaries. I often smile wondering if some of my neighbors have any idea there could be a 200" buck yards away from their property. Nonetheless property values here do not reflect your circumstance and I question that is strictly a function of the quality of hunting there.

To really put it in to perspective, I paid $65 acre for the first ranch I bought in Mexico.It is a wildlife wonderland incomparable to much of anything in the U.S. including some of the best deer hunting in the world. Once we developed the template for safe U.S. ownership , Americans moved in and prices zoomed to $300 an acre. Now no one is selling for any price hoping the Eagle Ford oil/gas play crosses the river. Mineral plays will effect property values far more than recreation.

Point is there may be more to land values where you are than just the quality of hunting. Speculation on my part as previously mentioned I don't think I've ever been to Waupaca county. I have been to Wi. some and know that it is a beautiful state.

We have killed a few 150's on $1k acre land and see many more...pretty sure I have no desire to trade my experiences...

I also have another piece of property that has that "high class" browse line...wonder if I can get $7k acre for it...I know other properties near it have sold for $3500 acre but it's not due to the "high class" deer problems. It's because of the school system...

[QUOTE="Baker, post: 45571, member: 91 I often smile wondering if some of my neighbors have any idea there could be a 200" buck yards away from their property.[/QUOTE]
Can your neighbors not see through the high fence?

There is one thing we can agree on Bull and that is land prices are much much higher in Waupaca County than in Rapides parish, La. Much higher. It would be challenging and take time for me to get $3000/acre for my farm even though the city limits is on one boundary and there are subdivisions on several boundaries. I often smile wondering if some of my neighbors have any idea there could be a 200" buck yards away from their property. Nonetheless property values here do not reflect your circumstance and I question that is strictly a function of the quality of hunting there.

To really put it in to perspective, I paid $65 acre for the first ranch I bought in Mexico.It is a wildlife wonderland incomparable to much of anything in the U.S. including some of the best deer hunting in the world. Once we developed the template for safe U.S. ownership , Americans moved in and prices zoomed to $300 an acre. Now no one is selling for any price hoping the Eagle Ford oil/gas play crosses the river. Mineral plays will effect property values far more than recreation.

Point is there may be more to land values where you are than just the quality of hunting. Speculation on my part as previously mentioned I don't think I've ever been to Waupaca county. I have been to Wi. some and know that it is a beautiful state.
Baker - if you ever want to trade hunts, let me know

Opening opening in WI is a combination of Christmas, a wedding, and your birthday. I like bringing southern friends because they've never experienced anything like it. Guys get together, camp hop, drink from the time you wake up Friday hanging with old friends then sit two days straight hearing shots all day keeping you on the edge of your chair. 600,000 people hit the woods with guns that weekend.

It's ok to keep your kids out of school the day before opener, union contracts when I great up had paper mills shutting down, its crazy

The energy in the community is something you probably have never experienced in the South (at least I've never had it close on my hunts in the south)

This is a rough crowd. I just signed up here, saw a local topic, and gave my experience/situation. I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy land near me, I don't ever remember reading about it either? I explained my situation and asked a relevant question.
I don't u understand why this group is so uptight, and down right rude?
Thank you bull for sharing your fence idea. I never thought of it. I'm glad I learned one thing from this site visit, but it will probably be the last.
These internet forums are clearly full of some negative/ rude people. I've seen these people by reading the qdm forum, the same users clearly found their way here.
Good day and good bye

This is a rough crowd. I just signed up here, saw a local topic, and gave my experience/situation. I'm not trying to convince anyone to buy land near me, I don't ever remember reading about it either? I explained my situation and asked a relevant question.
Thank you bull for sharing your fence idea. I never thought of it. I'm glad I learned one thing from this site visit, but it will probably be the last.
These internet forums are clearly full of some negative/ rude people. I've seen these people by reading the qdm forum, the same users clearly found their way here.
Good day and good bye

Pacahunter, this is actually one of the more polite discussions I've seen regarding deer densities. I for one have enjoyed reading your perspective on things. I hope you won't let a few rude posts discourage you from hanging around.

Good day and good bye
Check your conversations

[QUOTE="Baker, post: 45571, member: 91 I often smile wondering if some of my neighbors have any idea there could be a 200" buck yards away from their property.
Can your neighbors not see through the high fence?[/QUOTE]

Of course they can see thru the fence. Heck , it borders a number of folks yards. But the deer don't hang out by the fence. In fact I hardly ever see a deer by the fence.

A history of my perimeter looks like this. A bit over 40 years ago when I first started managing the property the woods were right up against the fence. Poaching was year round,rampant, and despite everything I could do I couldn't stop it. Welcome to rural La. So I cleared a 400-500 ft strip all the way around the perimeter excepting where I bordered my neighbor. That made a huge impact. Turned it into cattle pasture and hay meadows .

While it stopped the poaching we were both continually frustrated with the results we were achieving so we built the fence about 8 or 9 years ago. Was a slow process and took 4 or 5 years to get it done doing it ourself. About a year after finishing I planted pines all along the previously cleared perimeter. Thats where we stand today.

I'm sure a neighbor occasionally sees a deer and if there are ever issues with the fence neighbors usually call. But as mentioned we hardly ever see a deer anywhere near the fence. No reason for them to be there.

Good day and good bye
My apologies if I was part of the rude, it was not my intention at all. People like you are an important part of this forum. Your local overpopulated overbrowsed deer conditions are probably at one end of the spectrum of hunters and someone that has a few deer at a feeder and names every one of them is at the other end. And because your situation is unique your input is more important than someone like me whose location is very ordinary. Like I said earlier I enjoyed reading about your hunting, I suggest u hang around a little bit longer until u actually get to know what nice guys we really are.

I am just responding to the post saying we are all jealous of waupaca county and that overbrowse is a "high class problem"...

We aren't and it isn't...

If you follow bulls posting you will see he asks for advice and gets very, very good responses from the members here and when we tell the truth of the matter we are all of a sudden jealous and what not...truth is most of us are also very happy with our properties and situations. I myself hunt 3 properties in the very county I reside in and am extremely satisfied with the results, so satisfied that I don't really even want to hunt anywhere else. I get that awesome "deer camp" experience on a deer lease we share with 8 other folks...camping, cooking, working together, and conversing. We even kill some really great deer there as well.

Then I have our "high class" place that I can plot and do tsi on and we kill a passle of does off of and occasionally my grandson takes a buck there.

Then I have the 90 acres we reside on and is where the really great deer seem to hang out and we get some good ones off of. Deer numbers are super low here but mature buck numbers are high...great nutrition because of few mouths...thick woods...plot, hinging, etc...

If shots heard is a gauge of greatness then this place must be amazing because the woods are full of the sounds of rifles all through bow season into muzzleloader and rifle...like I said...low deer numbers but the smart older ones seem to pull through most years.

Paca, I am sorry you don't like the answers given to bulls queries but most of us are not novices and regardless of where you are there is someone in another state that is either dealing with the same issues or seeing the same successes and to think your county is unique above all others throughout the country is pretty naive...I certainly don't think my county is the end all be all of deer hunting and I am sure there are lots of places I could go and see 20-60 deer a sit but there is nowhere I have read about on any of these forums I would rather be on a cold frosty November morning than right here in these big woods, hills, and hollows...

I am just responding to the post saying we are all jealous of waupaca county and that overbrowse is a "high class problem"...

If you follow bulls posting you will see he asks for advice and gets very, very good responses from the members here and when we tell the truth of the matter we are all of a sudden jealous and what not...truth is most of us are also very happy with our properties and situations. I myself hunt 3 properties in the very county I reside in and am extremely satisfied with the results, so satisfied that I don't really even want to hunt anywhere else. I get that awesome "deer camp" experience on a deer lease we share with 8 other folks...camping, cooking, working together, and conversing. We even kill some really great deer there as well.

Then I have our "high class" place that I can plot and do tsi on and we kill a passle of does off of and occasionally my grandson takes a buck there.

Then I have the 90 acres we reside on and is where the really great deer seem to hang out and we get some good ones off of. Deer numbers are super low here but mature buck numbers are high...great nutrition because of few mouths...thick woods...plot, hinging, etc...

If shots heard is a gauge of greatness then this place must be amazing because the woods are full of the sounds of rifles all through bow season into muzzleloader and rifle...like I said...low deer numbers but the smart older ones seem to pull through most years.

Paca, I am sorry you don't like the answers given to bulls queries but most of us are not novices and regardless of where you are there is someone in another state that is either dealing with the same issues or seeing the same successes and to think your county is unique above all others throughout the country is pretty naive...I certainly don't think my county is the end all be all of deer hunting and I am sure there are lots of places I could go and see 20-60 deer a sit but there is nowhere I have read about on any of these forums I would rather be on a cold frosty November morning than right here in these big woods, hills, and hollows...
Ha Ha! Good one. The sound of rifles in the woods during bow season. Okie you have a serious poaching problem there?

Ha Ha! Good one. The sound of rifles in the woods during bow season. Okie you have a serious poaching problem there?
Absolutely...but again that tends to be a problem for most everybody unless you have the deer fenced in or your hunting property is in a country that doesn't allow the general citizenry to have guns...

Last edited:

You guys do know that Pacahunter is the one and only Dipper from the old QDMA forum?

116 posts and counting! That's what I love about Bull and Dipper from the old site...both guys generate forum activity. Any forum needs different viewpoints and opinions to remain viable. I've exchanged emails with Bull and have seen some of the bucks he has on his place. Pretty impressive. Another guy that adds a whole new perspective is Baker. I find his insights on deer management and the nutritional plane to make for thoughtful and interesting reading. I'd love to see his property in LA and Mexico. I traveled to Mexico about 2 hours south of McAllen, TX for many years around Thanksgiving for duck, quail, dove and geese hunting and finally quit when the drug cartel become such an issue in the area. Place was amazing with the amount of game. I've watched dvd's from Baker's place in Mexico that's off the charts good. As for his high fence on his LA property...I say more power to him. My neighbor on the east side is high fenced. He owns 1400 acres and got tired of his entire property line being shot up so he high fenced. His deer are just as spooky as the deer on my side of his fence. Try slipping up on a big mature buck on more than 2 square miles and the experience is no different than trying to slip up on one on my 287 acres. He's able to control the age structure on his 1400 acres and I'm not. No worries here...I enjoy my 287 just as much as he does his 1400 but he definitely has the opportunity to harvest mature 5 plus year olds and I seldom will.

Carry on guys! In the end...we're all in the brotherhood.

Absolutely...but again that tends to be a problem for most everybody unless you have the deer fenced in or your hunting property is in a country that doesn't allow the general citizenry to have guns...
You are right, poaching is a universal problem. But the lay of the land, roads, terrain, building locations, local law enforcement efforts and who the neighbors are makes a big difference. Food plots running right up to a property line can b a problem.Planting Norway spruce along the road if you have open fields helps. Having dual access to your property\ room to hide your vehicle that people can't pattern when you are there helps. Random patrolling is a deterrent. Poachers will know where the hot spots are. If someone is shopping for a new property think about these things before you buy. And mentally write off a few deer every year to poaching and don't let it spoil your fun.

Reminds me of the guy who said he always shut and locked his gate. Trespassers then had to wonder if anyone was there, versus knowing someone was there if you leave the gate open every time you visit your land.

Back