A really good read.

Yes it is a great read. Of course I like the Tennessee connections.

Has anyone heard of Honey Locust without the thorns?

Native Hunter - they have a high opinion of Persimmon as do you. Great minds think alike - at least I think I heard that somewhere.

Good post Jack.

Wayne

Did anyone else pick up on the part about grafting Burr Oaks to White Oaks? I thought that was not possible.

Yes it is a great read. Of course I like the Tennessee connections.

Has anyone heard of Honey Locust without the thorns?

Native Hunter - they have a high opinion of Persimmon as do you. Great minds think alike - at least I think I heard that somewhere.

Good post Jack.

Wayne
I have Wayne....I am not sure I have any, but I have certainly seen them before.

Interesting to see how we use many of the same ideas and concepts in our support of better habitat as someone had considered decades ago. It's a shame some of the trees are being lost to development.

I have Wayne....I am not sure I have any, but I have certainly seen them before.
That would be a tractor tire's dream come true. Before reading this I have always hated Honey Locust because of two flat tire episodes.

Thanks J-Bird.

Wayne

That would be a tractor tire's dream come true. Before reading this I have always hated Honey Locust because of two flat tire episodes.

Thanks J-Bird.

Wayne
They say it never hurts to dream Wayne! I know locust give people a lot for pain because of the thorns. I have both black and honey varieties... I can't say I have ever seen deer eat the pods here, but it sounds like that could be a cultiver thing as well. I have read somewhere before that deer will eat the pods and I think it was from a more southern source.

Waynes next "quest"....to rid the world of thorned locust trees!!! My plan isn't to replace them...my method involves a chainsaw and a bottle of tordon!

That guy did what I started trying to do several years ago. My plant mix is different than his in several ways - I left out some things he planted (such as honey locust) and did other things differently, but it's the same concept. Every year the bounty gets to be more and more, and to me, permaculture is worth it both in a wildlife habitat and human perspective.

Did anyone else pick up on the part about grafting Burr Oaks to White Oaks? I thought that was not possible.

Yeah, I saw that too. Kinda makes me want to try it out to see. Makes sense it being in the white oak family. Acorns 3 years after grafting sounds good too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good article! I would love to get to that point one day. My immediate plans are more focused on improving the wildlife habitat but I also want to provide an edible landscape of sorts for my whole family to enjoy in the future. Fruits, nuts, and berries that can be eaten right off the tree, bush, or vine!

Last edited:
I have attempted the same idea, with some similar and different varieties, at the Hillfarm. Great read and thanks for sharing.

Back