ATV spreader needed

270sniper

I need to replace my Moultrie spreader and I am looking for recommendations preferably for a front rack installation. I would like to get another brand . I only seem to get 3 or 4 yrs out of Moultrie

I have a 2018 Honda foreman and a Polaris 570 side by side with a rear receiver if I was going to consider a rear mounted spreader. I really haven’t seen any good reviews on any spreader that I reviewed, So first hand experience is what I am looking for.

I have the Kasco/Herd GT-77 that RGrizzzz mentions, and it's a great unit, I use an 8 penny nail for clover, a 16 penny nail for radishes, and anywhere between 1/2 and wide open for oats, to gap the feed gate. It plugs into the same 12v plug that my trickle charger plugs into. These are expensive but they are the best, they throw seed in a wider pattern than most other brands. I believe they cost just over $500 each by now.
I bought this new in 2014 and use it every year plus let friends use it.
FYI - you probably want to reconsider putting it on the front rack, I've done it and you end up eating a lot of seed doing that. With 50 lb of seed in it you want to make sure the clamps are tight or the seeder is going to fly off of the ATV rack. Speaking from experience.
I often put one clamp on each side in the front on the mounting bar, and several wraps of shipping tape on each side in the back on the mounting bar. 4 clamps total take too long to mount and I like to git er done. Zoom in on the picture and you can see the shipping tape, a cheap fix that works great, cut it off when you're done. I have mounted it with only shipping tape, three wraps front, 3 wraps back, and it works great that way too.

20200902_150441.jpg

Last edited:
I'
I have the Kasco/Herd GT-77 that RGrizzzz mentions, and it's a great unit, I use an 8 penny nail for clover, a 16 penny nail for radishes, and anywhere between 1/2 and wide open for oats, to gap the feed gate. It plugs into the same 12v plug that my trickle charger plugs into. These are expensive but they are the best, they throw seed in a wider pattern than most other brands. I believe they cost just over $500 each by now.
I bought this new in 2014 and use it every year plus let friends use it.
FYI - you probably want to reconsider putting it on the front rack, I've done it and you end up eating a lot of seed doing that. With 50 lb of seed in it you want to make sure the clamps are tight or the seeder is going to fly off of the ATV rack. Speaking from experience.
I often put one clamp on each side in the front on the mounting bar, and several wraps of shipping tape on each side in the back on the mounting bar. 4 clamps total take too long to mount and I like to git er done. Zoom in on the picture and you can see the shipping tape, a cheap fix that works great, cut it off when you're done. I have mounted it with only shipping tape, three wraps front, 3 wraps back, and it works great that way too.

View attachment 26127
I'm surprised they don't offer a UTV mount. Do you have the electric actuator kit? I don't see it. What's the experience like opening the gate and stopping/starting the spinner to spread material? This is on the eventual upgrade list.

We currently have an older Moultrie my dad mounted to the front of his ranger. He added an aftermarket actuator to open close from inside the cab. Being in front mounted is beneficial, because you can see better where you're spreading.

I'

I'm surprised they don't offer a UTV mount. Do you have the electric actuator kit? I don't see it. What's the experience like opening the gate and stopping/starting the spinner to spread material? This is on the eventual upgrade list.

We currently have an older Moultrie my dad mounted to the front of his ranger. He added an aftermarket actuator to open close from inside the cab. Being in front mounted is beneficial, because you can see better where you're spreading.
The big difference is your dad's is mounted on front of a Ranger, and he can't reach it, plus he probably has a windshield to keep from eating seed. For an ATV you definitely want it mounted on the back and you won't need a powered actuator, just put it in gear then reach back with one hand and open the gate as you start driving. The gate handle ends up being within easy reach right behind the rack if mounted on the back rack.

I should have added that my primary use of the spreader would be for spreading, Pelletized, lime, cereal grains and fertilizer. For small seed I use a solo and Scott hand held.

I found someone selling a 10 yr old Herd spreader that looks like the posted for $200. The woman stated it was her husbands who passed away 3 yrs ago. I asked her if she could find someone to hook it up to see if it works before I drive 2 hrs.

Is the motor something that would be a concern

The
I found someone selling a 10 yr old Herd spreader that looks like the posted for $200. The woman stated it was her husbands who passed away 3 yrs ago. I asked her if she could find someone to hook it up to see if it works before I drive 2 hrs.

The motor doesn't work hard running the rotor and is not known to make trouble. The biggest problem is the connections are studs that stick out the bottom of the motor under the spreader and the spreader usually ends up landing on those two pins when it is lowered to the floor. If one of those threaded connector pins breaks off it will probably take a new motor. I welded a protective frame out of 1/2" rod to keep that from happening.

If it's the one in Hamburg, it looks like it's missing some parts.

These Herd ATV seeders are some of my favorite food plot equipment. If someone is considering a Herd seeder here's some more helpful info. Notice how my friend's Herd seeder that I borrow sometimes is mounted upside down on the mounting frame, which gives it more height off the rack of the ATV, which means a little more spreading width, and also the frame protects the motor sticking out of the bottom. But, this is not how the instructions and factory pictures show to mount it, my own Herd seeder shown in the bottom picture is the way the manufacturer has it pictured, but I'm considering switching it around for more height. However, these Herd seeders do sling the seeder further already than most other seeders that I've ever used. Also note the 1/2" steel rod that I've welded to the bottom of my frame to protect the motor.
P.S. My friend's seeder is missing the top lid.

marvin seeder.jpgallen seeder.jpg

Back