12 day results of - Spray, Broadcast, Roll

horntagger

18814337-1513410518690399-6547761462408046403-n_orig.jpg

18835865-1513410605357057-8444708557309780131-n_orig.jpg

All food plots are doing just as good very impressed with the results. 1.7 inches of rain since planting.

I am pulling trail cam pics tomorrow and will be checking on my growth since last weekend. We've gotten 1.5 inches since last Sunday when I planted.

18814337-1513410518690399-6547761462408046403-n_orig.jpg

18835865-1513410605357057-8444708557309780131-n_orig.jpg

All food plots are doing just as good very impressed with the results. 1.7 inches of rain since planting.
Looks very nice! Can you fill us in on a few more details, what did you plant, what was growing beforehand that you sprayed,how long did you wait to roll it down and what did you roll it with?

Ok - don't have a tractor but my friend does and we typically bush hog - But he is a full time farmer with his smallest field is 500 acres. LOL all perspective. Well he does not mind it if it rains but needed come up with a plan B. Been watching all the crimping and had done homemade drags which is the poor mans crimping. Neighbor throwing away a roller, was able to fix it with help.

So on Monday May 15th I sprayed food plot - With Glyphospate with my this had to come up with new mount this year for new ATV I got last year. Works good. This is a nozzle from my friend sprays about a 12 food wide. Wish I had a bigger tank but got this at auction for 20 dollars so it is what it is.
sprayer_orig.jpg

May 15th food plots at this level.
20170515-160833_orig.jpg

May 23rd Broadcasting with friend - Tyrone Forage Soybeans first, Sunflowers second, Grain Sorghum third, and Clemson Spineless Okra last. By the way people ask me why I don't use other Forage Soybeans and I have one time. Comes down to this - MONEY typically I could buy Two Bags vs One and drive couple hours and pick up and pay no shipping. But this year guy came to show and group came together and bought alot and got at show for Three Bags vs One. I can't spray after they are planted anyway because I plant in my own mix.

I have only single crop planted once in 10 years worse thing I have ever done, drought year and deer destroyed it never EVER again will I single crop. Middle of 10,000 acres of wood with one 200 acre bean field across river I have high pressure plots

20170523-112844_orig.jpg

20170524-111541_orig.jpg

Bigger the seed get planted first so when I am broadcasting other seed tires on ATV become a cultipacker

I divide the last three seed individual broadcast rate by 4 to for my seeding.

Reconditioned Steel Yard Roller with around 500 lbs of sand put in. It did not do as good as I hope but did a good enough job. So another poor mans crimper.
20170520-155905_orig.jpg

So 1000 lbs 6 wheel atv and 500 lb roller results after planting.

20170523-161417_orig.jpg

This is what is laying on ground now.

20170524-114419_orig.jpg

No. 1 thing I have learned is to spray out and clean out radiator on ATV after end of each days full of trash.

May 25th - 2020 lbs of Mixed Fertilizer
1,160 lbs of 0-46-0
860 lbs of 0-0-60
868 lbs Applied to Main Food Plot
576 lbs Applied to Saddle Food Plot
288 lbs Applied to Watering Hole Food Plot
288 lbs Applied to Bottoms Food Plot

First time
fertilizer plant ever had some one show up with super bags to fill they big nay sayers in yard but not after it was done worked like a charm and I saved around 488 dollars estimate doing it this way.

20170525-110901_orig.jpg

Again I
fertilizer last because I using 6 wheel ATV wheel as backpacker for seed that's already on ground.

20170525-113457_orig.jpg

20170525-115728_orig.jpg

Took me 5 hours to bucket
brigade and spread by myself, but worth it.

20170525-115748_orig.jpg

Ground coverage

20170525-133019-copy_orig.jpg

This is the full story, I hope it helps. May not be the best way,
easiest way - But it's the real world for me. Without 20,000 dollar tractor and 5,000 dollar equipment, which I see on every management show on the internet or tv anymore or even on people facebook post. Get real everything above is disposable income, a privilege to get to do. Today management show have become just like the big deer taken on TV, except big bucks have become big expensive equipment. Don't get me wrong if I made enough money to do it I would but I don't so it is what it is.

Looks good,another method of getting fertilizer in bulk is using a RU tote and cutting top out of it.The cage supports the plastic.Are those big bags the ones the sell for construction debris

Thought of that but need to be able to take one side off to get to bottom, and chemical totes cost too much around here. No they are from the Sandbagstore.com need that style to put on pallet so forklift could raise up pallet but needed to forklift supports to put 2x4 so bag would stay open when conveyor pour fertilizer in. Then able to close up while driving.

Ok - don't have a tractor but my friend does and we typically bush hog - But he is a full time farmer with his smallest field is 500 acres. LOL all perspective. Well he does not mind it if it rains but needed come up with a plan B. Been watching all the crimping and had done homemade drags which is the poor mans crimping. Neighbor throwing away a roller, was able to fix it with help.

So on Monday May 15th I sprayed food plot - With Glyphospate with my this had to come up with new mount this year for new ATV I got last year. Works good. This is a nozzle from my friend sprays about a 12 food wide. Wish I had a bigger tank but got this at auction for 20 dollars so it is what it is.
sprayer_orig.jpg

May 15th food plots at this level.
20170515-160833_orig.jpg

May 23rd Broadcasting with friend - Tyrone Forage Soybeans first, Sunflowers second, Grain Sorghum third, and Clemson Spineless Okra last. By the way people ask me why I don't use other Forage Soybeans and I have one time. Comes down to this - MONEY typically I could buy Two Bags vs One and drive couple hours and pick up and pay no shipping. But this year guy came to show and group came together and bought alot and got at show for Three Bags vs One. I can't spray after they are planted anyway because I plant in my own mix.

I have only single crop planted once in 10 years worse thing I have ever done, drought year and deer destroyed it never EVER again will I single crop. Middle of 10,000 acres of wood with one 200 acre bean field across river I have high pressure plots

20170523-112844_orig.jpg

20170524-111541_orig.jpg

Bigger the seed get planted first so when I am broadcasting other seed tires on ATV become a cultipacker

I divide the last three seed individual broadcast rate by 4 to for my seeding.

Reconditioned Steel Yard Roller with around 500 lbs of sand put in. It did not do as good as I hope but did a good enough job. So another poor mans crimper.
20170520-155905_orig.jpg

So 1000 lbs 6 wheel atv and 500 lb roller results after planting.

20170523-161417_orig.jpg

This is what is laying on ground now.

20170524-114419_orig.jpg

No. 1 thing I have learned is to spray out and clean out radiator on ATV after end of each days full of trash.

May 25th - 2020 lbs of Mixed Fertilizer
1,160 lbs of 0-46-0
860 lbs of 0-0-60
868 lbs Applied to Main Food Plot
576 lbs Applied to Saddle Food Plot
288 lbs Applied to Watering Hole Food Plot
288 lbs Applied to Bottoms Food Plot

First time
fertilizer plant ever had some one show up with super bags to fill they big nay sayers in yard but not after it was done worked like a charm and I saved around 488 dollars estimate doing it this way.

20170525-110901_orig.jpg

Again I
fertilizer last because I using 6 wheel ATV wheel as backpacker for seed that's already on ground.

20170525-113457_orig.jpg

20170525-115728_orig.jpg

Took me 5 hours to bucket
brigade and spread by myself, but worth it.

20170525-115748_orig.jpg

Ground coverage

20170525-133019-copy_orig.jpg

This is the full story, I hope it helps. May not be the best way,
easiest way - But it's the real world for me. Without 20,000 dollar tractor and 5,000 dollar equipment, which I see on every management show on the internet or tv anymore or even on people facebook post. Get real everything above is disposable income, a privilege to get to do. Today management show have become just like the big deer taken on TV, except big bucks have become big expensive equipment. Don't get me wrong if I made enough money to do it I would but I don't so it is what it is.
I love it! Thanks for sharing all that good info, you really have a system together. You live in the real world, where people work for a living, pay attention to detail, and learn to improvise and be able to make a little go a long way. You are living proof that a food plot can be made with some very basic equipment. Keep planting diverse cover crops and you should be able to cut your fertilizer costs to almost nothing too.

I have a pretty similar plot with WR and clover growing right now. WR is about 5-6 feet tall and the clover is 2-3 feet tall. Currently the weeds are very minimal. Has anyone tried the spray, broadcast and roll with out the spraying? The WR should die off in the next month and that would just leave the clover. Will the living clover be too much shade/cover for the new seeds or will letting the clover go help the plot?

I have a pretty similar plot with WR and clover growing right now. WR is about 5-6 feet tall and the clover is 2-3 feet tall. Currently the weeds are very minimal. Has anyone tried the spray, broadcast and roll with out the spraying? The WR should die off in the next month and that would just leave the clover. Will the living clover be too much shade/cover for the new seeds or will letting the clover go help the plot?
What Grants latest video and scroll forward to the clover part it's almost what your talking about. By the way the green you see is clover and typically my sprayer can't get to the clover because other too high and clover too short at that time.

This is the conundrum you’re eventually gonna run into with a spray and roll method without having a drill. In the beginning, it’s gonna work good because most folks are likely gonna have minor amounts of biomass that they’re pressing down.

As you turn things around though…..the field will become more productive and next thing you know you start having massive biomass crops to deal with. Pressing a really heavy crop of biomass will create a mat across the top of the ground that with smother our new growth. The reason it works well with a drill is because the drill slices lines through the biomass and gives the new line of seedling a crevice to emerge through.

Just something to keep in the back of your head as time goes on. You may still need to tweak and adapt to deal with the heavy biomass that will eventually come in.

This is the conundrum you’re eventually gonna run into with a spray and roll method without having a drill. In the beginning, it’s gonna work good because most folks are likely gonna have minor amounts of biomass that they’re pressing down.

As you turn things around though…..the field will become more productive and next thing you know you start having massive biomass crops to deal with. Pressing a really heavy crop of biomass will create a mat across the top of the ground that with smother our new growth. The reason it works well with a drill is because the drill slices lines through the biomass and gives the new line of seedling a crevice to emerge through.

Just something to keep in the back of your head as time goes on. You may still need to tweak and adapt to deal with the heavy biomass that will eventually come in.

I picked up a spiked tooth drag, will running that over the plot after seeding and rolling help 'open' up the bio mass for the new seeds to sprout and emerge?

I picked up a spiked tooth drag, will running that over the plot after seeding and rolling help 'open' up the bio mass for the new seeds to sprout and emerge?

It’s hard to say……A lot of these things will just have to be experimented with. I’m having to tweak my mowing approach as well for the same reason. If I mow down a really heavy biomass crop then it puts it down too thick on the surface. That’s one of the reasons I mowed at much taller cut this time.

I’m actually eyeballing a much different approach now at this stage of the game that is more in line with what the Japanese farmer was doing. Once you get a really fertile soil surface going and you have a heavy stand of biomass growing in the field…..then the “micro” environmental conditions in underneath that standing crop of biomass is greenhouse like.

I’m pretty sure that I can germinate things like clovers and cereal grains just fine by broadcasting them into a heavy stand of biomass and then simply removing enough of the terminating biomass canopy to allow some light to the ground.....leaving a lot of the biomass still standing at maybe 2 ft tall or maybe even taller, just depending. The Japanese farmer would broadcast seed…..give it a couple weeks to sprout…..and then remove the overstory, releasing the plants underneath.... but many folks may want to do everything in one day. Lots of options......just experiment and figure out what works best for you.

I think the drag will get clogged with debris. I've run my cultimulcher over trash the last 2 years...it didn't work well. The cultivator tines got totally clogged. It MAYBE could work a little better if the trash was chopped up 1st with a mower.

Not sure who I learned it from on the old forum but... I spread my seed, mow standing crop so that a foot or so still stands and remains as stubble. This prevents smothering and the stubble prevent deer from heavy browse until the seed has chance to establish. As the stubble rots, and the plot grows, you have a nice green buffet. Same can be done in fallow field being converted to typical foodplots.

Mowing is the magic bullet for to much biomass; either take dogghr's advice above and mow higher, or mow sooner before it gets so high, or mow and let it lay for a month, seed and mow again. But why are you seeding something in this field if you already have this great stand of clover? Mow the WR high to release the clover and knock the seed heads off the clover for some regrowth; best summer plot ever.

Mowing is the magic bullet for to much biomass; either take dogghr's advice above and mow higher, or mow sooner before it gets so high, or mow and let it lay for a month, seed and mow again. But why are you seeding something in this field if you already have this great stand of clover? Mow the WR high to release the clover and knock the seed heads off the clover for some regrowth; best summer plot ever.
My thoughts exactly clover is an excellent crop to be feeding deer with high end nutrition that they need this time of year. I would leave that plot alone and let it feed the deer. But he may have other objectives.

It is going to clog and you will have to clean it out very, very frequently for it to work. I have tried it just to get some thick thatch out of a plot I wanted to plant. It was a ton of work having to stop every 20 yards to clean it out but it can be done just be prepared for more work than you thought it would be. Good luck with whatever direction you go.

I really don't think it's that big of issue 10 years of multiple food plots at least four of those with huge bio mass aka Jungle Plots never had an issue of germination. Big or Small seed. But that's my opinion.

Back