Young hunter seeking advice on managed hunts

Here is an area I would check first.
upload_2016-9-28_10-44-21.png
It's a little close to the road but may be worth a look. The Obed river bends here and the forest is North facing which in Tn would indicate good thick undergrowth. The outside of a bend is usually the high, bluff side. Scout the area near the bluff looking for deer trails. Often times deer will move parallel to a river especially on the bluff side. That bluff will eventually drop in elevation to a point where they can get to the river and cross. That's the spot to look at. If you have a good trail following the bluff I'll bet you'll find another where the river is accessible. If you don't find any good sign then move on.

Same goes for this area which looks to be further from the road and a little steeper terrain.

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-28_10-57-2.png
    upload_2016-9-28_10-57-2.png
    494.9 KB · Views: 0
A couple of things I've learned about public land that may help you:

1. Totally agree with other guys saying be ready to employ tactics that get you away from the crowds. Love the mountain bike idea!
Most hunters are lazy and basically want to drive within a couple of hundred yards of their stand. Every 100 yards you travel away from the access road reduces the hunters by 10%.

2. Be ready to run and gun with portable gear so you can move fast. If you're taking a stand, go ultra-light and portable. Have the ability to move quickly and quietly if you encounter other hunters or come upon an area with good potential.

It is 100% likely that you will encounter areas where you're about to set up and then you see other hunters. The ability to move quickly is key.

3. A couple of tools that I find really help are a hand pruners and a small, folding saw. You can get very light versions of these tools and they really help improve a potential sand site or sitting area.

4. Work with the direction of the "deer drive" caused by other hunters and get in your stand EARLY. What tends to happen is that other hunters get lazy and start showing up just at sunrise or even after sunrise. You want to make those guys your organized deer drive by looking at which way they will drive the deer as they go into their stands from the roads and easy access points. Then get to your stand quietly and very early.

I had one stand on private land near a large public area and about legal shooting time or just after there would be a parade of deer that would start coming toward me as smelly, noisy hunters left the road and all headed to their public land stands at the same time. They formed a perfect deer drive and in the years I hunted that stand it was like sitting in the median on the deer freeway.

The key is using the predictable movement of other hunters and then figuring out where they will push the deer.

Grouse

Ive not deer hunted public land much, but my inclination would be to get as far from the roads as possible, and get back there early in the morning at least an hour before sunrise. Let the other hunters closer to the road push the deer to you as the sun starts to come up.
You also might try asking some guys on tndeer.com. They might be willing to share advice on specific locations to hunt, particularly if they didn't get drawn to hunt this year. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back