Would you shoot or hope for next year…...

Tra_cline

Give me your opinion on this guy. What's your guess for age? He isn't gonna score much at all in my eyes but what y'all thinking?
[West Central Kentucky]
My decision is easily based due to another buck that is frequenting the farm, As much as I want to see him in person, I really hope he stays a home body and doesn't go wondering off. I like them wide and long beams he fits that….

Last edited:
leave him in the gene pool ..invest in the future ..yes ..some others may benefit and harvest him but if he gets just a couple does and the off spring do the same etc. he becomes a real multiplier ..we been doing it for six years now ..can now pass a lot of nice bucks and pick and choose

On my land he would be a shooter. My guess on age is 3.5. Not knowing what part of country you are in it's hard to say whether you should take it or not. If you have better deer on your property then let him grow. He will definitely be a brute next year.

I agree I think he is 3.5. Man on man, I would have a hard time passing him. I would probably kill him. He is a nice looking buck!

He'd be on my list 3.5 or 4.5 in my area with that body.

He'll gross 130+ and very few deer in my area score like that. Then again - Passing him up - can only help you - If you get deer like him every year - then pass on!

My first instinct was 3 yo but that may be because his front legs are in a hole, good chance he's 4.

Nice buck either way you go......If you think you will have other options then you take which ever one presents itself first and be happy about it. If he is likely the only chance you got at a nice buck, then that is a simple choice, if you have options then you can "shop around" some. If he doesn't "trip your trigger" then give him a year and see.

We hunt to kill deer. In the moment you will know.....either he makes your heart pound or he doesn't.

Looks 4 to me. Only you can make the decision on what deer will make you happy to hunt. Really nice deer.

He's 3 or 4 I would say he needs another year or two if you are looking for a trophy class buck. With one year he could blow into something special with that frame he has.

A lot of whether you take him or not to me would depend on his odds of making it to the next year. If you have 20 acres and everyone around you would shoot him on sight. Then I'd probably take him first opportunity I had. If you have enough acreage you think you can keep him home most of the daylight hours and let him get another year and since you have your eye on another particular deer it would be easier to let him walk and see what his potential really is.

If you are thinking about letting him walk, letting him walk is probably the right decision. I don't worry about what happens when they cross the fence, and sometimes bad things happen. I passed a drop tine deer twice at 15 yards last year. Everyone said I was a fool. This year, he's back and better than ever. The only way that happens is you don't kill him yourself. I don't fault anyone for killing any legal buck, but if you want bigger deer, and it sounds like you do, there's only one way.............

If you are thinking about letting him walk, letting him walk is probably the right decision. I don't worry about what happens when they cross the fence, and sometimes bad things happen. I passed a drop tine deer twice at 15 yards last year. Everyone said I was a fool. This year, he's back and better than ever. The only way that happens is you don't kill him yourself. I don't fault anyone for killing any legal buck, but if you want bigger deer, and it sounds like you do, there's only one way.............
Absolutely agree with this. You have to set your goal or bar for what will make you happy as the hunter. If a deer doesn't meet that criteria or if you have to sell your self on shooting a deer, that probably wasn't the right deer.

Just imagine what he would look like next year or the year after, right now he is a nice buck and he has potential

I think you looking at a 4 year old. It is still early in the summer; he will gain weight. His rack is neat, but if you want symmetry and high scores he does not have that. I would shoot this buck. It depends on your goals.

I would shoot him if he offered a broadside shot. Any iffy shots I would let him walk. I guess him at 4 1/2. Looks great in velvet.

I agree with letting him walk, I'd guess him at 3.5. When he sheds his velvet he will have a noticeably small rack. I have been passing on anything smaller than a nine point and 4.5yr old deer for three years and there are already multiple 8 pt deer that will go three years in age and I only manage a 80 acre property. The caveat is there's is probably 400acres of cover and timber touching our property so the have other places to hide along with 700 acres of crop land interspersed. I remember the first couple years I passed on nice 130+ 8 pts thinking I'll never see them again after the season and feeling sick about it. But much to my surprise this deer are still around and getting bigger. So it is situational to the type of cover, browse, whether you own the property, and hunting pressure. If you feel good those things set a goal and let them walk and you won't be sorry!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back