working towards LC mix....

David

I have asked alot of questions....and yall have been so helpful. I have spent the last 2 weeks reading through all of the LC threads.

Regarding the cereal grain portion.....here is the summarized portion of the LC mix (i left of the red clover and radish part off on purpose)

Cereal Grain combo in 45% of plot...we use 50# each rye, oats and peas along with radish and clover seed all planted in half of each feeding area

Winter rye 50-80#'s per acre (56#'s = a bushel)
Spring oats 50-120#'s per acre (32#'s = a bushel)
Frostmaster Winter Peas or 4010/6040 Forage peas 20-80#'s per acre

So the above amounts in the first paragraph are very clear....50 lbs each of the large seeds. But the second paragraph has ranges....50-58 lbs, 50-120 lbs, 20-80 lbs.....

Is it safe to say 50 lbs each of the large seeds is the correct amount?

thanks, i am going to have a few more minor questions before i am ready.

50 lb each is a good starting point. Adjust as needed in subsequent years (or if you are broadcasting instead of drilling).

Lower end on rye, higher on oats and peas. Deer love all of it but especially the latter. My peas seldom survive the winter from their browse. In spring overseed the rye that starts to green up with RC for a good summer and soil building mix.

I agree with dogghr. Those seeding rates are all quite a bit heavier than what I seed my plots at. Last spring I seeded oats 50lb acre, ladino clover 5 lb acre, and I had a beautiful food plot that is now a nice clover patch. If I'd have seeded at the LC rate I think it'd have been too much for my soil. Of course your planting method makes a big difference, I notill drill and every seed grows, if you throw and mow you will need a lot more seed. Trial and error tells you what works for your property.

That’s a great starting point. Don’t be afraid to experiment down the road. Because I plant significant brassica plots every year, I don’t add radish regularly, instead, I’ll throw in some chicory. Also, because winter peas are not readily available, I skip them. I’ve had great success with triticale in lieu of rye. I believe it’s more attractive to deer. Here’s the thing, it’s not rocket science. If I were you I’d start the first year or two with LC’s recipe and then experiment.

I only have a couple years experience plotting but I wouldn’t leave out or short change the rye or the clover. The rye through the winter here in my part of Missouri is great throughout the winter and especially into the early spring. The clover helps out in the spring and early summer as well. I’m not in an Ag area and I have the only green food in the area. It’s not a lot acreage in plots but I have lots of deer sign right now. Having something year round is very valuable to me. It’s eaten down to the dirt but they’re still using it every day.

On this piece my numbers are the highest in the summer. My neighbor has an alfalfa field and we have the best habitat i know of. The numbers fall and by the end of November all I have left is a few orphaned fawns. Our gun season opens the weekend before thanksgiving. A lot of the deer are the same, but it’s constant action all opening weekend. Every two years or so a big boy is w them.
In all honesty doesn’t matter what food I have, deer just seem to follow the same patterns year to year on the same parcels.
I hardly had a track on this place from December till now. From July-October it’s crawling w deer.
Id identify ure properties optimum time for mature bucks to be on the property and plant a target food source accordingly. Or plant accordingly to ure goals. My properties are set up to hold mature bucks from September-January. Doesn’t always happen. I’m fortune to own a few places with different circumstances. Lots of factors and limitations in this game!

Back