Winterizing Sprayer

Smallplot

With freezing temps knocking on the door I took the opportunity to winterize the sprayer today and figured I would share some pictures and info on doing this. While some ATV sprayers are better off completely draining and moving the 12 volt pump into a climate controlled area, this is not always the case with some other sprayers. So here I go.

9FCB25D1-C00A-4F10-BEED-C2AF81DBA350_zpshsvoo1hh.jpg

First have to hook up to the sprayer and completely drain the tank. After the tank is drained slightly fill the tank (I use about 10 gallon of water). Run the pump and make sure the boom selector is in the position to hit all boom sections if equipped. Let the water flow from your boom for a brief time paying attention to make sure all the herbicide is out of the hoses. You will see some foam or milky color which will turn clear when cleaned.

0D2A99F6-CF3C-4E83-BEC8-D03376550D44_zpsmg8pdnlf.jpg

After your booms and hoses have been rinsed, drain tank again and replace with another 10 gallons or so, paying attention to signs of a clean tank. When you get rid of the slight foam, the tank is clean enough.

6C493ECB-DC33-47C6-BF77-BF39981733AB_zpsc0djzqtk.jpg

Now is a good time to remove and clean the main filter if so equipped. You can also remove and clean all your spray tips and in line filters. After cleaning put all filters and tips back in place because you want the hoses to contain freeze resistant material unless you can drain all hoses.

After everything is back in place use the pink RV antifreeze and dump directly into the spray tank.

E8C539FA-2397-4DFF-8C5A-54C2C6EF33BE_zpsbmm84olm.jpg

C3F045D0-7801-4CE6-9436-272FFA4B74BD_zpsswa0liw4.jpg

I used 4 gallon just to make sure I had enough to fill the hoses, pump, and selector. Once you have your antifreeze all dumped into the tank, run the pump for a couple of minutes just to make sure the pump and bypass are full. Last turn on your boom(s) and continue to run until the antifreeze is coming out of the nozzles.

C2D1C969-0C9E-4CC8-9E01-A71595A99051_zps36xkfwpz.jpg

You can see and smell the antifreeze once it is coming out of the nozzles. Once everything is filled you are ready to put up and unhook for the winter.

I helped my brother do this to his sprayer the other day after I finished using it. Be sure to clean/rinse out and get antifreeze into the wand if the sprayer has one. Would hate to bust that hose because it was forgotten.

Freezing temps?????? Where the heck are you at.
I know. You're reposting from the other site. Good advice, just a tad early;)

Watch out with any pets or other animals around antifreeze - it is very harmful to them if this drink it - it causes kidney/renal failure if I recall. I have 3 dogs and why I don't go this route. I simply ensure I remove any places water can stand and use my air compressor to blow out lines and even disconnect certain fittings.

Watch out with any pets or other animals around antifreeze - it is very harmful to them if this drink it - it causes kidney/renal failure if I recall. I have 3 dogs and why I don't go this route. I simply ensure I remove any places water can stand and use my air compressor to blow out lines and even disconnect certain fittings.

If you use the pink RV antifreeze, it is safe for pets.

You are correct - I didn't make that clear - sorry. Regular antifreeze and the pink stuff is different. I just feared someone using the regular stuff and really harming a family pet.

One tip I might add is that I cut the top off a water bottle and I'm able to reach in with it thru fill hole and put intake hose into water bottle. I then use a long neck funnel to pour RV antifreeze into water bottle while running pump. Takes me less than a gallon to winterize 25 gallon sprayer.

One tip I might add is that I cut the top off a water bottle and I'm able to reach in with it thru fill hole and put intake hose into water bottle. I then use a long neck funnel to pour RV antifreeze into water bottle while running pump. Takes me less than a gallon to winterize 25 gallon sprayer.

I like to remove the 12v pump and store it in the basement where it does not ever freeze. Removing tips and letting hoses drain allows use of no antifreeze in the ATV sprayer. The larger 3 point is a little different and with condensation I just like the security of using the RV antifreeze.

Back