Whole Oats -vs- Seed Oats

Brow_Tine

What is the difference between whole oats and seed oats?
The only difference I can see is that the seeds oats may have a coating on them.

Seed oats are cleaned. Whole oats are a feed stock and they are very dirty, and there's a good chance they're carrying Oat Country's finest roundup resistant weed seeds.

I always plant whole oats, or, in other terms, oats that are designated for animal feed. Why? They are $14 per hundred vs $115 per hundred for seed oats. I've never had much of a problem with weed seed contamination, most of the contamination is bits of stems and corn kernels. At the price savings I can deal with a few weeds if any would show up, and since the deer can't read in my county because it's like a third world country, they think I'm planting BFO and they go plum crazy over them.

After a summer of fighting Marstail and Pigweed, I've got to agree with MarkDarvin; no way am I risking introducing herbicide resistant weeds to my plots anymore. A person would be many times money ahead to keep that crap out.
I use to buy whole seed for my plots and was somewhat of a proponent for that. And even though I think the weed problems that I had this yr were from nearby fields that had them and not my "whole seed", I still think the risk it too high to justify the potential cost. That crap cost me a ton of time and money this yr! There is no easy fix for those weeds.

I stopped down the my local coop last week looking for Winter rye. They didn't have any nor did they have any winter wheat or oats. I bought a bag of oats or wheat, cant remember what one that were intended for feed. I never thought about the weed seed issue!

What's the price difference?

Some guys I hunt with took a bag of livestock feed wheat and dumped it in a 3' circle. The stuff was growin!

I'm not sure what germination % differences there are

I notill drill livestock feed wheat to a specific planter setting, the same as I do for certified seed, and I've never noticed a difference in germination rates

I always plant whole oats, or, in other terms, oats that are designated for animal feed. Why? They are $14 per hundred vs $115 per hundred for seed oats. I've never had much of a problem with weed seed contamination, most of the contamination is bits of stems and corn kernels. At the price savings I can deal with a few weeds if any would show up, and since the deer can't read in my county because it's like a third world country, they think I'm planting BFO and they go plum crazy over them.

That seems awfully high for seed oats. I don't think your yield would hardly cover the cost of the seed. I'd find another seed dealer.

I got my hands on a bunch of seed oats at dealer cost because someone cancelled the order. I paid $4/bushel. Clean tagged rye seed is only $13/bushel here. I think my barley was $16/bushel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL at "county like a third world country"!!!!
Mennoniteman, your post reminded me of this old Benny Hill bit:

Back