When to mow LC mix field?

Bowhunter

I was wondering what time of the year I should be mowing my fields that I have planted in the LC mix?

Currently the oats are about 5' tall, but the clover looks like it's doing well underneath.

I'm going to do one more year of clover before rotating to brassicas. I just wasn't sure if I should mow it before I disc it in the fall/late summer when I re-plant it.

Bowhunter, was this fall planted? If so, I'd guess it's rye rather than oats (we've never had oats survive the winter). As for mowing, I like to wait until the end of June to avoid the risk of brushhogging newborn fawns. I'd still walk it first to make sure there's not a late born Fawn bedded up.

Bowhunter, was this fall planted? If so, I'd guess it's rye rather than oats (we've never had oats survive the winter). As for mowing, I like to wait until the end of June to avoid the risk of brushhogging newborn fawns. I'd still walk it first to make sure there's not a late born Fawn bedded up.
Yes, it was fall planted.

Your right, it is the rye rather than the oats.

I mow before weeds go to seed if I'm leaving clover -
and after early fawning -
some tall rye is great fawning cover.

I'm going to do one more year of clover before rotating to brassicas. I just wasn't sure if I should mow it before I disc it in the fall/late summer when I re-plant it.
You won't need to disc the clover if you don't want since you are keeping it. As said, I'd mow mid summer if at all. You can over seed WW or WR into the clover and even oats and brassica if you want. I usually do those to all my clover plots early Sept. spread seed and mow the clover down. If you are doing a perennial plot, that is good time to fert and spray grasses with Cleth. Good luck.

If you let the rye seed mature and harden off, do not mow and then disc it...you'll wind up with way too much rye the following year. I recommend either mowing it within the next week or so (after walking the plot for fawns) or leaving it stand and using it as part of a throw n' mow plot in the fall.

Back