Wheat, rye, daikon radish, and MRC

Does the wheat and rye grow to fast for the Daikon Radish and choke it out? Or did you just plant the radish for a little extra for the deer to snack on?

Does the wheat and rye grow to fast for the Daikon Radish and choke it out? Or did you just plant the radish for a little extra for the deer to snack on?

To be honest, I don’t know. The radish seed was bought last year and not used so I put a little in each plot, three in all, just to see. The only other time I used it the deer ate it to the ground when it got about 8” high. Evidently there was some daikon seed that got mixed in with another product I was planting because there wasn’t much of it. I can’t remember what the product other was, I just remember having to look up “daikon radish” to identify it. :)

My experience is that with a small grain and radish mix ultimately one will outcompete the other. You’ve got to get the seeding rate just right to have both small grains and radish together successfully in the same plot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience is that with a small grain and radish mix ultimately one will outcompete the other. You’ve got to get the seeding rate just right to have both small grains and radish together successfully in the same plot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If that’s the case then I expect the grain will win in the long run, because there’s much more of it.

I had a small bag of forage collards in my rando bucket of seed I was trying to get used up this year. Those have done surprisingly well among a super blend I concocted that was cereal heavy, among many other things. I forgot to get a pic of it though.

I'm gonna order some more again next year and give it a little more tinkering. I don't fertilize anymore, and they showed some life without it.

It has taken me several years of experimenting with small grain/brassica mixes to assure neither chokes the other out. For me the brassicas were far more likely to choke out the small grains as they jumped up faster with large leaves. Irrespective of small grain planting rates I go with 3 lbs/daikon radishes and 1 lb/ turnips per acre. Get a good stand of the brassicas quickly but then as the small grains start getting tall the brassicas are well established.

It has taken me several years of experimenting with small grain/brassica mixes to assure neither chokes the other out. For me the brassicas were far more likely to choke out the small grains as they jumped up faster with large leaves. Irrespective of small grain planting rates I go with 3 lbs/daikon radishes and 1 lb/ turnips per acre. Get a good stand of the brassicas quickly but then as the small grains start getting tall the brassicas are well established.
When you plant your cereals, what are your common high and low temps for that time of year?

Appreciate I'm in the deep south. "Typically" I plant somewhere between Sept 15-Oct.1 moisture considered. Usually pretty warm then. Off the cuff temps range fro lows in 60's to highs in 80's when I plant.

I plant the entire mix at same time. Fro clover fields 50 lbs wheat, the radish turnips rates as mentioned above and then what ever clover I may be putting in fields. Also many fields already have solid stands of clover thus no additional clover added.

For rotational fields this year I'm going with 100 lbs/ elbon rye acre, 25 lbs wheat then radish turnip mix. These fields also have a solid stand of reseeding crimson in them

Looks like there was a little more Daikon radish in the mix than what I originally thought, at least in my buddy’s plot. Mine wasn’t quite this thick with radish. A470CD55-346C-4B0D-ADEC-49B7E888D3B5.jpeg

These plots are doing well considering we haven’t had hardly any rain since we planted. I still think I might have gotten a little too much radish, but I imagine the hogs will thin that out for me. D8E4B1C7-4B44-4C9B-AA9B-566B712C2094.jpeg

Back