Wheat/Rye/Clover

bowhunter14

I have a question about throw and grow plots as I am fairly new to food plotting. I have a pretty decent stand of mismanaged clover with a bunch of grasses coming up in it. I want to start over and was thinking of a plan for the coming spring planting season. My plan is as follows.
1. Disk and spread a mix of Clover and Winter rye this coming spring
2. Terminate the Rye before producing seeds.
3. Broadcast Awnless wheat into the clover stand in the fall.
Does this sound like an alright plan? I feel like I am learning so much from reading through old post but my mind can't get wrapped around everything I need to know to be succesful. Any and all help would be appreciated!!!

Personally on a stand I wanted to start over with I would wait until late summer to kill it then plant a mix of clover and cereal grains. I think discing and planting in te spring may create a weed problem for ya.
Your simplest solution might be to spray cleth in the spring/summer and then overseed more clover/cereal in the fall.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

The clover that is there was lush and green this fall and I harvested by best bow buck to date on it. So i may just try and hit it with Cleth and see where it goes. Is there anything special to know about over seeding wheat into an existing clover plot?

I like to let it grow up over the summer (even withweeds), then broadcast seed and mow right afterwards. Helps if you can it right before a rain. Go with a heavy seeding rate.

Personally on a stand I wanted to start over with I would wait until late summer to kill it then plant a mix of clover and cereal grains. I think discing and planting in te spring may create a weed problem for ya.
Your simplest solution might be to spray cleth in the spring/summer and then overseed more clover/cereal in the fall.

Agree with this.

I like to let it grow up over the summer (even withweeds), then broadcast seed and mow right afterwards. Helps if you can it right before a rain. Go with a heavy seeding rate.

Yeah, mine can get a little ugly right before the haircut too. But 2-3 weeks after, all the right things kick back in and it looks good again.

Clover better off seeding in the fall w/ a nurse crop over the top.....could go cereal grains or even brassicas. Seed clover in the spring you will be giving weeds the one up right off the bat, as clover takes some time to get going vs weeds are ready to Spring into action as soon as that ground warms especially if there is a disking involved.

Clover better off seeding in the fall w/ a nurse crop over the top.....could go cereal grains or even brassicas. Seed clover in the spring you will be giving weeds the one up right off the bat, as clover takes some time to get going vs weeds are ready to Spring into action as soon as that ground warms especially if there is a disking involved.

The nicest plot I ever did was a fall throw and mow into buckwheat. Rye, Oats, chicory, clover. It fed the deer almost year round.

Thats exactly what I would like to end up doing @jlane35! I only have one good size plot now with plans of putting in another soon. So i would like to get the best bang for my buck!

Well I can’t take the credit, I just listened to catscratch and other guys here. I’m just confirming that it works.

The clover that is there was lush and green this fall and I harvested by best bow buck to date on it. So i may just try and hit it with Cleth and see where it goes. Is there anything special to know about over seeding wheat into an existing clover plot?
First, I do not use herbicides. Do not know if your clover is/are perennials, but if they are, I would mow (if you can) to set back the grasses and keep them from going to seed. When it is time to seed, I would mow no lower that 6 inches and seed the cereal grains. The rye grain will over winter, so will wheat. Oats will not. Starting your second plot late summer/fall is good advice.
There are plenty of guys on this forum will plenty of knowledge and even for your area.

Back