What's your biggest mistake/regret with land management?

Some of my regrets are I bought 80 acres 19 years ago and should have went one county north. It has double the deer and better bucks but I wanted it to be handy as in close by. If I would of planted a small apple orchard just think what I would have as a draw now 19 years later. Not getting into the TSI part of it sooner. I was like everyone else I thought food plots were the answer but now that I am more experienced know that they are a small part of the equation.

Only major regret I have for my central farm, is not getting serious about removal of the red cedars. We've had the farm for 18 years now and I got serious about removing them in the last 8 years or so. They are so thick in some areas nothing grows underneath them. They consume unbelievable amounts of ground water and seem to be the dominate tree in my area if left unchecked. The wood lot has a mix of post and blackjack oaks, but the cedars are taking over and choking them out. I wish I had been more aggressive in the early years but I was more worried about the deer having cover. In hindsight, I would have better served by removing a lot of the cedars thus allowing sun light to reach the ground for Forbes and browse. I should have been planting fruit trees and food plots in some of the openings. Oh well, I am on it now and the hunting is slowly improving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you not get cedar apple rust up there? One of the reasons we have a hard time with apples and crabapples is because the cedars and apples complete the triangle for cedar apple rust. (eastern red cedar)
This is probably off topic for this thread. I was just thinking off the top of my head which can be dangerous.

Possibly - None of my trees are old enough to have provided any fruit yet, but imagine there will be some rust issues, although the trees are out on a windy prairie and we don't get a lot of moisture in the summer, so hoping it's not too bad. If the apples get some scabs I don't care as long as the tree survives.

If I had to pick, I'd take the ERC's anyhow as I want the deer to bed on my property over feeding if I can only have one - planting other shrubs for browse and I mostly rifle hunt and can see the deer from a long ways away and if I can get them to bed on my property I should be able to sneak w/ in range for a shot is the hope.

So cover is my main goal and the apples for mast are just a bonus if they grow/produce.

Your temps up there may not be conducive to cause rust. The rust would effect the leaves and they would drop off the trees as they got infected. And the cedars would have an orange fungal mass that would form in the spring. Very fortunate if you don't get that. If cedars are good for anything they are good for screening and bedding.

Some of my regrets are I bought 80 acres 19 years ago and should have went one county north. It has double the deer and better bucks but I wanted it to be handy as in close by. If I would of planted a small apple orchard just think what I would have as a draw now 19 years later. Not getting into the TSI part of it sooner. I was like everyone else I thought food plots were the answer but now that I am more experienced know that they are a small part of the equation.
What county is your property located in?

Not allowing enough time to take care of what I planted. Something always breaks down and it always takes longer than you think. Neglected a bunch of trees this summer due to no time, luckily many survived.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Jumping on the hinge-cutting band wagon a few years ago. I honestly can't see much benefit to the hinge-cutting I've done on my property.

Hinge cutting usually gets recommended for cover for bedding, travel cordons, and edge feathering so I am curious what situations you think make it a mistake??

A big mistake i made 2014 was planting "upland" trees in "bottomland" and expecting them to grow

My creek bottom floods in winter and becomes grey concrete by mid summer

I have a flat bed trailer with a huge stack of several hundred tree tubes as a monument to my "dumbassedness"

bill

Reactions: 144
I have many, here are a few. Not trying to bribe the TVA when they cut down a beautiful, huge, female persimmon on the farthest edge of the power line right of way. Not sure if the sweet handshake would have cast blind eyes but I didn’t try.

Second one is an early attempt to release a wild pear tree that was full of fruit. I crawled in and cut the tree down I was trying to release. Excuse me... (pic attached)

Third, not marking another wild pear tree that was in a perfect spot to hunt right before my EQIP hack Squirt crew came threw.

e
78e81670766357a3ffe39aa6b1df11e4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Hinge cutting usually gets recommended for cover for bedding, travel cordons, and edge feathering so I am curious what situations you think make it a mistake??
Should have added more commentary around my hinge-cutting comments. Each property is unique in it's makeup and each region of the country is unique to habitat requirements. My property is 287 acres comprised of about 60% planted pine and 40 hardwoods. The hardwoods are comprised of 2 types - drainage hardwoods that run like fingers from south to north throughout the planted pines that range from 100 to 200 yds wide and bottom land hardwoods that make up the south section of our property that is about 35 to 40 acres in size. The bottom land hardwoods are interspersed with beaver sloughs. Both types of hardwoods areas, drainage and bottom land, are comprised of fairly mature timber in the 50 to 60 yr old range and fairly open underneath. Some of the largest mast trees are much older.

I have approximately 110 acres of 18 yr old planted pine that has been thinned once. I have about 60 acres of 28 yr old pine that has been 3 times and burned every 2 to 3 years. The understory of the pines is all head high in native flora, blackberry, service berry, dog fennel, ragweed, honeysuckle and so forth. It is basically a continuous loop of prime bedding habitat. Due to our mild winters, native browse is available throughout the winter months in addition to acorns and food plots. We really don't have any real stress period for deer with perhaps the exception of late summer when it can turn hot and dry.

As for bedding, I simply don't need to add any additional bedding to our property. When I first bought the property and discovered the now defunct QDMA forum, everyone it seems was hinge-cutting, particularly up north and often to provide additional browse by dropping the tops down close the ground. I bought me an arborist saw and set about hinge-cutting on both sides of our largest plot that is flanked by 2 hardwood drainages along with several rows of planted pine up against the food plot. I hinged for additional cover when I really didn't need it. I've traveled so many times down the edge of the hinge cut areas the past few years and quite honestly, just don't encounter many deer among the hinged areas. I do bump then out of the pines where they can bound off a few feet and be in total obscurity.

The area where I see hinge-cutting as a valuable asset on my property is a couple of food plots that are bordered by young hardwoods around the edge and mature hardwoods deeper in. This particular food plot is close to 300 yds long and relatively narrow. Deer can and do enter it from any point along the edges. I intend to be more surgical in my hinge-cutting endeavors going forward and feather edge this plot to create access points in strategic areas of the plot to funnel the deer thru. But as for hinge-cutting to create bedding, I simply don't need it at this point on my property.

You bring up a great point that surfaces pretty often Triple C; every property is soooooo different. We maybe should not be looking at what works great on other properties and emulate the concept for ours but rather what is not working on our properties and what are other people doing about it that may make mine work better.

I wish I’d investigated the neighbors more. One has 155 acres with horses and no fences. The others make no effort to keeptrespassers out so everyone in the county thinks they can hunt and drive Atv’s on the whole mountain including my property. Yet another thinks being neighbors entitles him to trespass. I’m not sure knowing these things would have changed my purchase but I would have definitely have been far tougher on everyone from day one (prosecuting and suing). With some people trying to be neighborly simply makes things worse. My unhappiness with the situation really impacted my overall enjoyment. Now that I’ve put my asshole hat on, things are getting better.

Not many regrets. About 80% of attempts have worked, that's good enough. Bought land when i could afford it. Started small with orchard and it grows in size every year. Food plots generally have grown well with a bit of sweat equity. There are days i worked so hard i could barely walk the next day, wouldn't do much differently. Maybe take the land purchase plunge a year or two earlier. I've learned a lot with both the successes and failures, in the end it's about getting out there and enjoy the outdoors and make improvements where you can. These days i get as much satisfaction seeing the wildlife make use of the improvements as i do hunting. The goals have changed a bit.

Should have added more commentary around my hinge-cutting comments. Each property is unique in it's makeup and each region of the country is unique to habitat requirements. My property is 287 acres comprised of about 60% planted pine and 40 hardwoods. The hardwoods are comprised of 2 types - drainage hardwoods that run like fingers from south to north throughout the planted pines that range from 100 to 200 yds wide and bottom land hardwoods that make up the south section of our property that is about 35 to 40 acres in size. The bottom land hardwoods are interspersed with beaver sloughs. Both types of hardwoods areas, drainage and bottom land, are comprised of fairly mature timber in the 50 to 60 yr old range and fairly open underneath. Some of the largest mast trees are much older.

I have approximately 110 acres of 18 yr old planted pine that has been thinned once. I have about 60 acres of 28 yr old pine that has been 3 times and burned every 2 to 3 years. The understory of the pines is all head high in native flora, blackberry, service berry, dog fennel, ragweed, honeysuckle and so forth. It is basically a continuous loop of prime bedding habitat. Due to our mild winters, native browse is available throughout the winter months in addition to acorns and food plots. We really don't have any real stress period for deer with perhaps the exception of late summer when it can turn hot and dry.

As for bedding, I simply don't need to add any additional bedding to our property. When I first bought the property and discovered the now defunct QDMA forum, everyone it seems was hinge-cutting, particularly up north and often to provide additional browse by dropping the tops down close the ground. I bought me an arborist saw and set about hinge-cutting on both sides of our largest plot that is flanked by 2 hardwood drainages along with several rows of planted pine up against the food plot. I hinged for additional cover when I really didn't need it. I've traveled so many times down the edge of the hinge cut areas the past few years and quite honestly, just don't encounter many deer among the hinged areas. I do bump then out of the pines where they can bound off a few feet and be in total obscurity.

The area where I see hinge-cutting as a valuable asset on my property is a couple of food plots that are bordered by young hardwoods around the edge and mature hardwoods deeper in. This particular food plot is close to 300 yds long and relatively narrow. Deer can and do enter it from any point along the edges. I intend to be more surgical in my hinge-cutting endeavors going forward and feather edge this plot to create access points in strategic areas of the plot to funnel the deer thru. But as for hinge-cutting to create bedding, I simply don't need it at this point on my property.

Thanks, hearing about all the different types of habitat on here makes it interesting. I am trying to think about the balance of harvest/TSI and then hinging that could make predictable bedding in specific areas of open timber.

Applying triple 19 around the base of small trees expecting exponential growth. Nope, death and disaster.
Planting trees in a tube in the middle of an open field with no weed control. Slow death and disaster.
Failure>>>Regret>>>Learning Experience.

Back