What kind of tree is this?

HoleHopper

I have some of these growing in a fallow field and want to stick with what nature is telling me, and I want to plant more as a screen.
24f284a394835420a8ae335b6a3bfc10.jpg

f81ad4ff2067b8c7e0c497279a4953d5.jpg

2a1a28ff0d9c57d4d4077550d47c34ae.jpg

I dont know my trees like I should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

White or red line if I was to venture a guess. White pine has needles in clusters of 5 red line has needles in clusters of 2 or 3. White pine has a smooth grey bark when young and red line will have a rougher and more brown or red color bark.​

White pine will have needles in bundles of five. The form looks like white pine, but check needle bundles.

White or red line if I was to venture a guess. White pine has needles in clusters of 5 red line has needles in clusters of 2 or 3. White pine has a smooth grey bark when young and red line will have a rougher and more brown or red color bark.​
I must have been looking over your shoulder. :rolleyes:

The needle test will tell the tale.

I've not seen many red pines but have planted and grown many white pines. I could be wrong, but I'm going to guess that you will find those to be Reds. The reason is that the needles don't look as "wispy" as the whites I grow. But that could be because if the difference in our locations.

hmmm the neighbor across the road has some that are very tall and I think the cones flew over in the wind over the years. Anyways they do well there. I just want to stick with what does well, and they look great.

question about the clusters? Are the clusters all along each branch or just on the ends where there is new growth? Thanks for your help!

hmmm the neighbor across the road has some that are very tall and I think the cones flew over in the wind over the years. Anyways they do well there. I just want to stick with what does well, and they look great.

question about the clusters? Are the clusters all along each branch or just on the ends where there is new growth? Thanks for your help!
You will see the needles grow in small cluster if yo look real close - should be the same all over the tree. new growth, old growth - shouldn't matter. In my opinion its the best way to ID between the two in a young tree. Older trees you can use the bark and the like to help. The pine cones are very different. The red are short and sort of stubby looking while the white is more long and slender in form.

Red pine won't make a good screen once they get bigger because they start to lose their lower limbs as they get older. I'd try planting a tight mix of white, blue, and Norway Spruce. That way if one type doesn't grow the others should and you can also thin them out as they grow.

White pine will self prune and thin as well at some point. Also consider pine is a soft wood and the limbs tend to be fairly fragile when it comes to snow and ice. I have seen mater red and white pines stripped to essentially a trunk after a heavy ice storm where the weight of the ice snapped many limbs off. I would stick with cedar or spruce for a conifer screen in a more northern climate. Pine do tend to grow fast, but that works for and against you.....it all depends on your needs and expectations. If you want a screen plant a row of pines and then a row of spruce. I also know unprotected pines tend to be browsed and rubbed to death pretty easily, where you have less of a chance of that with spruce....I said less of a chance.

I believe that is a red pine. My favorite in the pine family. I understand folk's hesitation on using red or white pine in a screening, but I do it all the time. BUT I back the first couple of rows of pine with spruce. I want a mix of conifers in my screening. I have had a few run ins with the White Pine rust, so I have backed off using whites in my recent plantings. Red pine seem to be bullet proof in my area, and tend to keep lower branches much longer than others suggest in their areas.
HoleHopper - where are you at in Central MN? I have 30 acres between Milaca and Onamia by the Rum River State forest.

Back