What is this vine?

DougG

Have this growing on our property, and it looks like it is possibly starting to choke out the trees it is climbing on. It stays green year round, I think. Any ideas what it is and what to do with it?

vine.jpg

You will be able to tell for sure when it flowers, but my guess from only that picture is "Lonicera sempervirens" (AKA Trumpet Honeysuckle).

Trumpet Honeysuckle is not the same as Trumpet Creeper (Campsis radicans).

The best way to get vines on trees is to cut them at the ground and give them a straight does of Gly at the cut.

Thanks NH. I don't recall this having flowers previously. I will keep an eye on it. It seems to be becoming more and more widespread and climbing on more trees that I don't want it on.

I would think it is a vine type honeysuckle of some sort. Makes decent deer cover and food source as it stays greener longer than other plants.....at least in my area. It can become an issue as it will smother out trees, saplings, shrubs and snap off limbs if it gets out of control. If it isn't hurting anything more beneficial in that area i would leave it be, just keep an eye on it. If it is growing into productive timber or mast trees then you can cut the vines and the upper portions will die. I would think a brushkiller type herbicide would kill it if you want it gone entirely, but it may take some follow up applications to entirely eliminate it. Makes great cover to hide a ground blind in as well, or to create a visual screen.

283073_143622412384607_1464956_n.jpg

celastrus-orbiculatus-20100917-a.jpg

220px-Map_of_Oriental_Bittersweet_Distribution.png

"The non-native invasive plant Oriental bittersweet is a major threat to our forest ecosystems. Bittersweet is a fast growing vine which wraps around trees, choking them, or spreading over native vegetation, smothering it. This vine interferes with forest regeneration, kills trees, and displaces native plants. Once established, it is very difficult to control."

If it is Oriental bittersweet you need to kill it.

Oriental Bittersweet is getting bad around here. But the leaves in the OP pics don't look like the non native Oriental variety, and he said it stays green year round. In our area OB drops it's leaves.
But the VINE in the OP pic looks a little like bittersweet, that's why I asked if it could be another variety of bittersweet. I think there is also a native bittersweet, but I know nothing about that variety.

I think there is also a native bittersweet, but I know nothing about that variety.

Yes, there is a native variety, and it's called American Bittersweet (Celastrus scandens). And it has alternate leaves.

Last edited:
A plant id expert I know said.

"Not Oriental Bittersweet due to opposite leaves. looks to be Japanese Honeysuckle (Lonicera japonica)"

Per the all knowing wiki

"Japanese honeysuckle is classified as a noxious weed in Texas,[8] Illinois, and Virginia, and is banned in New Hampshire.[9] It grows extremely rapidly in parts of America such as southwestern Ohio and is virtually impossible to control in naturalized woodland edge zones due to its rapid spread via tiny fruit seeds."

bad news however

"In urban environments of Southwest Ohio where deer population is high, some level of longer-term management has been observed by cutting the honeysuckle to within 18-24" of the ground. Grazing deer substantially slow down regrowth. Once the canopy from a stand of honeysuckle or that of an individual plant exceeds the grazing height of deer, this control method is ineffective. As recently as the late 1990s, Japanese honeysuckle was not considered to be part of a deer's diet, but by 2010 urban deer in southwest Ohio could be observed grazing on it with enthusiasm, especially freshly cut honeysuckle stocks.[citation needed]"

Last edited:
Your "plant id expert" made a guess that has a very good probability of being correct.

Lonicera japonica and Lonicera sempervirens can appear very similar at this time of year, depending on the harshness of the winter, age of the plants, etc...

During the peak of growing season Lonicera japonica generally has darker leaves than Lonicera sempervirens and the underside of Lonicera sempervirens leaves tend to have a bluish green cast.

But as I said earlier, when they flower - they become easy to tell apart - because they look nothing alike then.

If you miss the flowering, you can also tell them apart by the berries. Lonicera japonica has black berries and Lonicera sempervirens tends to have slight smaller berries that are red.

As for the Wiki stuff about Lonicera japonica, I will just be silent. It's the best winter deer browse in my area, and I have no trouble at all controlling it at a woodland edge or anywhere else for that matter.....

PS: You should feel blessed having a plant id expert. We don't have anyone like that in these here parts of the woods.....

Last edited:
Thanks NH. I don't recall this having flowers previously. I will keep an eye on it. It seems to be becoming more and more widespread and climbing on more trees that I don't want it on.

You're welcome Doug. Send me a pic when it flowers and I will give you a positive ID on it.

Your "plant id expert" made a guess that has a very good probability of being correct.

PS: You should feel blessed having a plant id expert. We don't have anyone like that in these here parts of the woods.....

He is amazing. All over the web id'ing plants, giving id tours, etc.

Back