What is everyone grafting this year?

buckvelvet

Most of mine are apple.

Bench grafting 40 B118 and about 15 field grafted.

Egremont Russet
orleans reinette
Kidd's orange red
Wetonka Crab
Black Gilliflower
Pitmastin Pineapple
Transcendent Crab
Otterson Crab
northwest Greening
Cowichan Crab
Columbia Crab
Dasyealyx Crab
Shafer Crab
Keepsake
Hawkeye
Haralson9
Imperial Stayman (late)
Lord Lamborne
Pumpkin Sweet
Priscilla
Weidners Goldreinette
Trailman Crab
Dayton
Blue Pearmain
Slor
Grimes Golden
Gala
Cortland
Calville Blanc D'Hiver
Black Limbertwig
Devonshire Quarrenden
Gravenstein
Scugog
Cornish Gilliflower
Winecrisp
Pixie Crunch
Badsey
Rubenette
Joseph
Honeygold
Hudsons Golden Gem
Whitney Crab
Court Pendu Plat
Golden Russen (AM version)
Prarie Spy
Duchess of Oldenburg
Spartain
Tolman Sweet
Fire Cracker Crab
Freyburg
Liberty
Kalle (Red Clapp Pear)
Harvest Queen (Pear)

Wow, that is a lot of trees, and many I recognize as very good choices. Priscilla, Black LT and Liberty are three of the best performing apples I've ever grown.

Will you plant all of those yourself? Will they go in a wildlife planting or an orchard setting?

I'm top working apples, pears and persimmons this year. I'm not grafting any rootstocks. The trees I'm grafting are some wild pears and some apples that I want to change over to more desirable varieties.

Most of mine are apple.

Bench grafting 40 B118 and about 15 field grafted.

Egremont Russet
orleans reinette
Kidd's orange red
Wetonka Crab
Black Gilliflower
Pitmastin Pineapple
Transcendent Crab
Otterson Crab
northwest Greening
Cowichan Crab
Columbia Crab
Dasyealyx Crab
Shafer Crab
Keepsake
Hawkeye
Haralson9
Imperial Stayman (late)
Lord Lamborne
Pumpkin Sweet
Priscilla
Weidners Goldreinette
Trailman Crab
Dayton
Blue Pearmain
Slor
Grimes Golden
Gala
Cortland
Calville Blanc D'Hiver
Black Limbertwig
Devonshire Quarrenden
Gravenstein
Scugog
Cornish Gilliflower
Winecrisp
Pixie Crunch
Badsey
Rubenette
Joseph
Honeygold
Hudsons Golden Gem
Whitney Crab
Court Pendu Plat
Golden Russen (AM version)
Prarie Spy
Duchess of Oldenburg
Spartain
Tolman Sweet
Fire Cracker Crab
Freyburg
Liberty
Kalle (Red Clapp Pear)
Harvest Queen (Pear)

BV did you ever pm Merle your address he has your Freyburg and liberty Scion but last I talked to him no address.

dang--that's a lot of grafting friend. It does become addicting. Just something about taping a stick to a root stock and watching it succeed and grow. I have about 30 trees to graft this year and will also be doing a little in field apple and persimmon grafting.

todd

I think our final list is as follows.

Black limbertwig
Tull
Arkansas beauty
Stellar
Keener seedling
Yellow Newtown pippin
Priscilla
Pristine
Kidd's orange red
Kerr
Centennial
Geneva
Wickson
Ozark pippin
Winter Jon
Freedom
St Edmunds Russet
Pittmaston pineapple
White Buckingham
Cherryville Black
Owens mullin red
Bevans favorite
Terry winter
Henry clay
Caney fork limbertwig
Brushy mountain limbertwig
Victoria limbertwig
White limbertwig
Red Royal limbertwig
Virginia beauty
Kinnairds choice

Along with several pear varieties

dang--that's a lot of grafting friend. It does become addicting. Just something about taping a stick to a root stock and watching it succeed and grow. I have about 30 trees to graft this year and will also be doing a little in field apple and persimmon grafting.

todd

The granny smith scion i got from you is rockin on M7 at my house Todd. My infatuation started in 2015 when you helped push my off the cliff. Part of this is your fault.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I think our final list is as follows.

Black limbertwig
Tull
Arkansas beauty
Stellar
Keener seedling
Yellow Newtown pippin
Priscilla
Pristine
Kidd's orange red
Kerr
Centennial
Geneva
Wickson
Ozark pippin
Winter Jon
Freedom
St Edmunds Russet
Pittmaston pineapple
White Buckingham
Cherryville Black
Owens mullin red
Bevans favorite
Terry winter
Henry clay
Caney fork limbertwig
Brushy mountain limbertwig
Victoria limbertwig
White limbertwig
Red Royal limbertwig
Virginia beauty
Kinnairds choice

Along with several pear varieties

Another one caught the limbertwig bite. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I'm gonna graft the following this year my dad and I bought way too many rootstock I'm afraid.

Dula Beauty
Virginia Beauty
Brownlees Russet
Gideon Sweet
Hanging Dog Limbertwig
Cannon Pearmain
Carolina Pippin
Crimson King
Cullasaga
Hall
Kentucky Limbertwig
Medaille d Or
Shockley
Old fashioned Limbertwig
Horse
Summer Granny
Priscilla
Betsy Deaton
Black limbertwig
Arkansas black
Liberty
Short core
Arkansas sweet
Sundance
Captain Davis
Ashmead kernel
Springdale
Coffelt Beauty
Blacktwig
Graniwinkle
Michelin

Cannon pearmain through Shockley I'm taking a chance not sure on the disease resistance. My wife seen this list and asked if I could join AA apples anonymous. She thinks I have problems I just enjoy it.

I was planning on grafting some persimmon scions to existing trees this year but the scions got lost in the mail. When I finally got them they were all moldy. Maybe net year.

Don't mean to hijack this thread but I have a quick question for ya'll experienced grafters. Last year I bought some pear and plum rootstock from Cummins. I planted them in Rootmaker pots, and as many people often do, I got extremely busy last spring and never got around to grafting onto them. So this past weekend, I took all of the rootstocks and planted them in one of my large footplots (I already have about 20 large trees planted there). I intend to graft onto these rootstocks in the field. Would it be better to allow these rootstocks to grow one more year in the field before I graft, or should I go ahead and graft onto them this spring? If I grafted them in mid-April they would have about 2 months to get settled, otherwise they would have a full year if I waited. They had an extremely good fibrous root system since I grew them in Rootmaker pots for a year.

Last edited:
I've never field grafted, but my intuition is to do it this year. When you graft a regular scion / rootstock, the rootstock comes bareroot with usually a pretty small root system, so I think you'd be better than that at the very least.

This isn't this years graft list, but was my selection from a couple years ago. Got most of them from Maple Valley Orchard I think. Most were on B118 and some on Antonovka rootstock. Go big or go home :)

Galarina
Williams Pride
Florina Querina
Pristine
Northern Spy
Holiday
Hudsons Golden Gem
Connell Red
Delcon
Etters Gold
Jefferis
Lakeland
Minnesota 1734
Orieole
Perry Russet
Reinette Simirenko
Sherry
Smoke House
Sweet Bough
Tollman Sweet
Davey

I've never field grafted, but my intuition is to do it this year. When you graft a regular scion / rootstock, the rootstock comes bareroot with usually a pretty small root system, so I think you'd be better than that at the very least.

I just assumed that by giving the rootstock a year to really take hold in the field, it would allow for a faster growing graft with a higher success rate, simply because the roots are already in place. I might try to graft a few and let the rest take root until next spring and graft them then, just for my own curiosity. Plus that would give me more time to find some new varieties to get scions for.

Last edited:
If you got something you wanna graft do it this year if not it won't hurt to wait you just may have to change how you graft at that time.

Back