What and when?

Zeek

I have mature mix of winter wheat and rye, and Tall tine tubbers, left over from last year. Some clover down below. What should I do with it? I have a lawn mower, tractor and an ATV disc. My thought is more clover, roll it down with the tractor tires, and mow. Thanks.

It's a bad time of year to plant clover now...

Where you're located I'd probably let it sit another three weeks and then do exactly what you said. Except I'd consider a mix with clover, a grain, and some brassica.

It's a bad time of year to plant clover now...

Where you're located I'd probably let it sit another three weeks and then do exactly what you said. Except I'd consider a mix with clover, a grain, and some brassica.
Is it likely the wheat and rye seed will reseed from what is there? The turnip seeds I took from pods last weekend have sprouted in the raised bed I put them in.

Is it likely the wheat and rye seed will reseed from what is there? The turnip seeds I took from pods last weekend have sprouted in the raised bed I put them in.
Small grain reseeding is often sporadic, not something that you can always depend on if you want a nice stand growing again. There's many factors coming into play, such as wildlife cleaning up the seed in some areas, germination viability, uneven droppage, moisture availability, and seed to soil contact when it drops. A farmer seeding a crop can control some of these variables. I sometimes have had great reseeding on oats, the next time hardly any. Seeding something at a heavy rate and then mowing is probably your best path to success.

Small grain reseeding is often sporadic, not something that you can always depend on if you want a nice stand growing again. There's many factors coming into play, such as wildlife cleaning up the seed in some areas, germination viability, uneven droppage, moisture availability, and seed to soil contact when it drops. A farmer seeding a crop can control some of these variables. I sometimes have had great reseeding on oats, the next time hardly any. Seeding something at a heavy rate and then mowing is probably your best path to success.
Thank you.

Back