What’s to become of my brassicas

howboutthemdawgs

Planted Labor Day weekend, then we decided to go an awesome 40 day rainless streak. Started raining October 7th or so. I’ve got good production but “stunted” growth. This is my first go round with them so I’m not sure what to expect. I’m in western ky and we’ve already had a couple freezes. What does the future likely hold for them?

Mine generally start wilting and stop growing as the freeing temps ramp up and then they finally just turn to mush and disintegrate before spring. My deer won't touch turnips, and I finally quit planting them. They will, however, eat Diakon Radishes fairly well, so I put a few of those out.

Wheat is what lasts the whole winter for me, and the deer eat it 5 times better than brassicas of any kind. Then next year in late spring you get the double whammy of the the wheat heads. The deer eat those great as well.

Last edited:
Here’s a pix of mine today on the Canadian border. Planted about July 15th. They didn’t start getting hit until after the first frost. Today I took a poor quality cell phone pix of a doe just simply bedded in the brassica plot. I’m glad to help in her comfort.

Rusty

Mine generally start wilting and stop growing as the freeing temps ramp up and then they finally just turn to mush and disintegrate before spring. My deer won't touch turnips, and I finally quit planting them. They will, however, eat Diakon Radishes fairly well, so I put a few of those out.

Wheat is what lasts the whole winter for me, and the deer eat it 5 times better than brassicas of any kind. Then next year in late spring you get the double whammy of the the wheat heads. The deer eat those great as well.

i planted wheat at the same time and then came back the day before the big rains started and planted rye for good measure. They have been hammering the wheat. I love watching them real close with the binos when they are feeding and seeing exactly what they are eating. Very happy with their attraction to the wheat.

Wheat has been very effective for is as well, but I've started using a 3 way mix of wheat, cereal rye, and crimson clover. I'm hoping a little variety will help attraction over all the other peoples wheat plots. I also plant daikon, but rain always shafts me on those

Back