watefowl gun...

I love my Benelli, but I've seen it jam! They all will at times, for different reasons. I shoot Benelli's, but mainly because I fell in love with the fit. they just shoulder perfectly for me. I have an original 1187, it's a descent gun, just don't like the way it feels and swings.

If an 870 jams it is user error! If I did what I used to do to my old 870 duck hunting to a $1000 autoloader it might be a crime. I remember ice shattering off it when I shot, the pump feeling so gritty there might have been crawdads living in it, and enough mud in the checkering it was smooth. I wonder why it wears a coat of spray paint now! I still say the OP has all the gun he needs.

If an 870 jams it is user error! If I did what I used to do to my old 870 duck hunting to a $1000 autoloader it might be a crime. I remember ice shattering off it when I shot, the pump feeling so gritty there might have been crawdads living in it, and enough mud in the checkering it was smooth. I wonder why it wears a coat of spray paint now! I still say the OP has all the gun he needs.

You are right, the 870 is very dependable. But, it jams at time for other reasons that operator error. I'm a LE instructor and armorer, and I see them jam. Usually mechanical failures after 1000s of rounds. Shell latches are problematic. Still an awesome shotgun, I grew up killing everything with a Wingmaster 16ga.

I went from an 870 super mag to a 3.5" franchi. Unloaded that for a browning gold evolve3". Finally traded that for a sbe2. Haven't really wanted to look at other shot guns since I got my Benelli. It has by far been the most dependable one yet. Although, I did shoulder a new a5 and it did mount a little better. In the end, if you can hit better with. $200 shotgun there is no need for a $2000 one.

What kind of paint do you guys put on your shotguns?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
The cheap camo stuff at Walmart. Not going to put high dollar paint on a cheap ass shotgun that I am liable to kick over in the mud or lay in the water in the bottom of the boat. An 870 deserves the cheapest paint you can find.

Only auto loader I have never seen jam is the old Belgium A5's. Them sissy Italian guns belong at fancy duck clubs where they get pampered and shiny gun cabinets. :p

The cheap camo stuff at Walmart. Not going to put high dollar paint on a cheap ass shotgun that I am liable to kick over in the mud or lay in the water in the bottom of the boat. An 870 deserves the cheapest paint you can find.

Only auto loader I have never seen jam is the old Belgium A5's. Them sissy Italian guns belong at fancy duck clubs where they get pampered and shiny gun cabinets. :p
Is the paint just for camo or is it to stop rusting?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Both rust protection and camo. Most boat paddles have prettier wood than came on my gun and a shiny gun barrel is no good for ducks and turkeys.

Benelli Super Black eagle for me...takes a beating and keeps on shooting. Only semi-auto that's been dependable for me in the duck blind in bad weather.

In addition to the SBE comments, it looks like PSA summerville will be selling them at the price point you wete looking for at their grand opening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nearly all the hard core duck hunters I know all shoot Benelli SBE's. They shoot them because they don't jam. In Virginia, we shoot buckshot at deer so shotguns are extremely popular. I shoot a Browning Maxus and love it. I had to choose between the SBE and the Maxus and picked the Maxus based on the Dura-Touch stock. I just love the way the stock feels in my hand. The SBE is mechanical or recoil operated whereas the Maxus is gas. There is more recoil from the SBE. The heavy 3 1/2" loads will stomp your shoulder.

Sbe for me. Waterfowl hunt hard, no matter the conditions. I've dropped it in a swamp, hunted in every adverse condition possible. Only problem I ever had was it froze up one day we were hunting in sub zero temps. The guys with me were shooting maxis, and berrettas and they had the same trouble. We switched to graphite to clean the guns and were fine. The top auto loaders will shoot anything. To me it's whatever your comfortable with, I personally like the feel of a bennelli best.

synthetic stock and coated. makes a big difference since your gun will get wet.
I have a 12GA Browning Maxus(actually made by FNH, been flawless for 3 years) and a 10 GA Browning Gold. My opinion stay away from the Gold(any gauge). They can become a PITA cycling when they get dirty.

I have a sbe1 and a 2 but I like the feel of the super Vinci the best, its nice and light, shoulders nice, the only thing the safety is in front of the trigger, that takes a little to get used to, I also have a M1 super 90 that my youngest son shoots, thats a real nice piece. The only problem I've had with them is I had to replace the spring in the stock on the SBE1 and the super 90. Those two are over 20 years old. been in the water more that a few times too, if your not looking to shoot 3.5s, I'd check out the M2

I have an SBE 1 and an M2. I use the M2 for all of my waterfowling now. Got tired of carrying all the extra weight to shoot 2 3/4" shells. My SBE is a dedicated turkey gun now, just leave the scope on it.

To finally close the loop on this....my wife said she would get me one for Christmas....she bought it tonight: Beretta a400 extrema, 28" barrel max 5 camo. Can't wait to get my hands on it in a couple days when she gets home. Maybe get it out before the end of the season.

To finally close the loop on this....my wife said she would get me one for Christmas....she bought it tonight: Beretta a400 extrema, 28" barrel max 5 camo. Can't wait to get my hands on it in a couple days when she gets home. Maybe get it out before the end of the season.
Nice! Congrats.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

awesome gun! Sounds like you have a great wife!
We need a pic of the new scatter gun!

As much as I like to rib my buddies that shoot them sissy Italian guns, that beretta is a really nice shotgun. If you don't like that one, your liker is broke.

As much as I like to rib my buddies that shoot them sissy Italian guns, that beretta is a really nice shotgun. If you don't like that one, your liker is broke.
I hear ya. I really try to buy American but I sure love my Tikka rifle and my Benelli shotgun (neither made here in the USA)

Bad Me

Back