Walnuts

gasman

I received some black walnut nuts at Christmas this year from my brother in law. They were picked this last fall and placed in a five gallon bucket. They have been stored in an unheated garage since (currently -12 degrees). I am planning on planting them in containers this spring and transplanting either next fall or next spring with tubes for protection. Does it pay to plant them after they froze? Is there any danger to planting them where I have apple trees planted? Is there anything special to do with the nuts until I plant them or once I plant them. Thanks for any advice given. Just when I thought I started to understand apple trees a little now these showed up.

Gasman
Dont plant them near your apple trees. Black Walnut trees produce a chemical called juglone. It is somewhat toxic to apple trees and many other types of trees and vegetation.
I live in an old farm house that is surrounded by very old and large black walnut trees. They are beautiful but create quite the mess in the fall when the walnuts start falling .
The squirrels love them but the deer wont touch them . They will, however, be worth a fortune in many, many years to come .
Just my 2 cents worth .
Happy New Year !
John

^^^^ All the above. In addition, blight is hitting walnuts and 80% of mine are dead or dying.

They are messy,but my squirrels clean them up by thanks giving. A few are ok,but there are better choices than reward you more for the effort.

Other than for the timber value there are far better wildlife friendly trees you can plant with far less issues.

Glad I asked here first. Saved me a lot of time, effort and aggravation later. I have oaks and apples planted and wanted to make sure they wouldn't be affected. Had heard rumors of them poisoning other trees but never any solid proof of it. Where I live there aren't and gray or fox squirrels, just reds so they might lay for a while. Will have to save for for trap dye now. Thanks again for the info.

Glad I asked here first. Saved me a lot of time, effort and aggravation later. I have oaks and apples planted and wanted to make sure they wouldn't be affected. Had heard rumors of them poisoning other trees but never any solid proof of it. Where I live there aren't and gray or fox squirrels, just reds so they might lay for a while. Will have to save for for trap dye now. Thanks again for the info.
Yip, no reason to plant a black walnut unless youre in it for the timber. Or for the next generations timber i should say. Squirrels love them in winter for sure, so thats a consideration.
I certainly wouldnt plant around apple trees. I protect my valuable native black walnut trees, but plant oaks to fill in the gaps.

I have several big black walnut and they are really a PITA to me. If you plan on walking under them before daylight on your way to your stand you better plan a different route. Its like rollerskating in a buffalo herd. I'm hacking ind squirting the small ones but will just agree to disagree with the big ones since they can bring me cash. Has anyone ever used the smaller ones for posts or even pole barn poles?

I have several big black walnut and they are really a PITA to me. If you plan on walking under them before daylight on your way to your stand you better plan a different route. Its like rollerskating in a buffalo herd. I'm hacking ind squirting the small ones but will just agree to disagree with the big ones since they can bring me cash. Has anyone ever used the smaller ones for posts or even pole barn poles?
Ive never seen or heard of them used that way. I cut some red cedar and black walnut for bird feeder posts 15 years ago. The cedar posts are still in the ground and in good shape. No trace left of the black walnut.

Cherry used to be demand but two years ago 50 cents a ft. was norm. Will the price ever come back? No one knows. Will Black Walnut be worth its space in 50 years and bring good money? No one knows for sure.

In my area black cherry, oak and black walnut are the prime timber......they may or my not be worth what they where, but still command the best prices here. Yellow/tulip polar, Hickories and hard/sugar maple are second tier timber here as well. I have NEVER heard of walnut being used for posts. I can't get a downed tree top to keep from rotting (even off the ground) after 2 years......wood posts in my area are locust, hedge or cedar - for some reason some tree types simply resist the moisture in the ground better than others. As a kid we used to cut black locust in small sizes o use them as runners to stack the fire wood on to keep it up off the ground and they seemed to last forever! My experience also shows the walnut prefer well drained fertile soils with adequate access to water. I have 2 on the edge of my yard and hate them because of the mess......the hulls rot and attract grubs which then attract moles on top of the actual nuts come flying out of the mower! In the woods they do suppress any competition around them. If I was interested in supporting squirrels I would consider oaks and hickories - as these trees will also support other wildlife as well.......

If your woods are devoid of them, it would be a good idea to plant a few, but it's not a tree that you want to plant and protect on a large scale unless you're a young, very serious squirrel hunter, or you are wanting to greatly improve the property's timber value for your grandchildren. Diversity is key, and they are a part of many healthy forests. In a monopoly they can create a desert of useless habitat, but cutting every one down that isn't near an apple tree doesn't make sense to me either.

Black Walnuts volunteer and then outcompete surrounding trees. My goal is 100% eradication!

They are bad news to fruit trees, I've even lost a few nice young 3'-4' spruce trees to walnut trees. The poison stays in the ground for years after they are cut down too.

Here's a pile of them that I just found in my barn...courtesy of the red squirrels. Damn things.
e603ddc7827201316193a7fc45205df9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

In my area black cherry, oak and black walnut are the prime timber......they may or my not be worth what they where, but still command the best prices here. Yellow/tulip polar, Hickories and hard/sugar maple are second tier timber here as well. I have NEVER heard of walnut being used for posts. I can't get a downed tree top to keep from rotting (even off the ground) after 2 years......wood posts in my area are locust, hedge or cedar - for some reason some tree types simply resist the moisture in the ground better than others. As a kid we used to cut black locust in small sizes o use them as runners to stack the fire wood on to keep it up off the ground and they seemed to last forever! My experience also shows the walnut prefer well drained fertile soils with adequate access to water. I have 2 on the edge of my yard and hate them because of the mess......the hulls rot and attract grubs which then attract moles on top of the actual nuts come flying out of the mower! In the woods they do suppress any competition around them. If I was interested in supporting squirrels I would consider oaks and hickories - as these trees will also support other wildlife as well.......

In my area, the fence posts that last the longest are Osage Orange (Bois d’Arc).
I don’t know of a single farmer or rancher willing to let locust grow without spraying, hacking, or burning it... even if it does make a good post. Those suckers are vicious. We have both black locust and honey locust native in the area, and the deer simply DEVOUR the honey locust pods for about 2 weeks out of the year. About the only thing they will chose over them are the very sweetest white oak acorns.

There’s a small stand of honey locust on the family farm, and I’m torn on allowing a few to stay. I just know it will mean dozens of seedlings a year to kill.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

In my area, the fence posts that last the longest are Osage Orange (Bois d’Arc).
I don’t know of a single farmer or rancher willing to let locust grow without spraying, hacking, or burning it... even if it does make a good post. Those suckers are vicious. We have both black locust and honey locust native in the area, and the deer simply DEVOUR the honey locust pods for about 2 weeks out of the year. About the only thing they will chose over them are the very sweetest white oak acorns.

There’s a small stand of honey locust on the family farm, and I’m torn on allowing a few to stay. I just know it will mean dozens of seedlings a year to kill.
Indiana is home to both locust members as well.....I have honey ;locust on my place and I have NEVER seen a deer eat a pod here. Now - I also live in farm country with lots of other food options available so I am sure if push came to shove they would eat them, but I personally have never seen it or seen evidence of it here. I also agree that they can be difficult to manage. I also thought the only real value to them would be using them as a natural barrier to keep folks on their side of the property line! Black locust, honey locust, hawthorn and green briar would make a natural fence that not many would venture into.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Back