Unintentional edge feathering

KDdid

bff17a97bb0ab6ba8af8bebee076c405.jpg
5596ab9be40f9d2e2efde8b0e73b7f23.jpg
aef482573bda3990e9d729db7f569024.jpg

I spent the afternoon with my BIL at my wife's home farm. Several years ago we cut back a bunch of small trees that were encroaching from the edge of the woods into the field. Mostly small ash, elm and maple. I was impressed by the amount of stump suckers exploding along that cleaned edge, filling in with raspberry and tall grass. This is a fairly open woodlot, and even this narrow band of brush dramatically reduces visibility into the woods. Now this has me thinking about thickening some other edges along the field/woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Can i hunt there?:D
Seriously, great looking edge you got going on, intentional or not.

In general, these small woodlots are much denser than they were a decade ago, mostly due to the loss of ash trees to the EAB. Across the road, behind my MIL's house , is a 4 acre woods full of standing dead ash trees, mixed with Oaks and hickories. The amount of sunlight getting to the ground has about doubled, making for a much higher stem density.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Edge feathering/buffers are great tools.....looks like you did well. Sunlight is a very powerful habitat tool once we figure out how to use it.

Looks great. I can't believe how fast the results come on my place in NE Ohio. I can open up the canopy in the spring and have a nasty tangle by September.

Back