Trophy Hunter or Meat Hunter

A farmer friend in Iowa told me that venison tastes like dog feces. Having not ever eaten dog feces I had to wonder if I was missing out.

G

Farmers are strange folks. Hate liberals but love government handouts. LOLOL. Don’t anybody get pissed. I don’t send their money back either.

It’s funny to me, too, all these city slickers that want “farm raised”, “grass fed”, “hormone-free”, “non-GMO”, etc crap but wouldn’t think of eating venison, wild Turkey, or wild pork. That’s just about stupid.

Last edited:
I am a trophy buck hunter, if I don't have a chance at a really big buck, I don't spend the tag. Does, on the other hand, are tasty. I put 5 in the freezer this year, and the wife and I will consume it all. Haven't bought a cut of beef since 2014 or 2015. Like others have said, I can make venison and other wild game taste every bit as good as beef, actually better. Cooking wild game is an art, not difficult, just different. Ate mallard and green wing teal for supper, you know the meat everyone says taste like liver, although I love liver, when someone says that about a mallard, they obviously don't know how to care for and prepare them. I see the same with venison.

My Mother taught me how to clean and prepare the Venison before it is ever packaged.

That is the biggest part of why I think most folks that say they don’t like is, they have never had it handled and treated right.

Take a Prime Beef. Gut it and drag it around in the woods for a bit.

Strap it on your car or toss in the bed of your truck and drive it around showing it off for 2-3 days.

Take it to a processor that doesn’t really care if you get your meat back or mixes it in with everyone else’s.

Then don’t cook it right and complain how bad it tastes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ll have 2 in the freezer this wk. but I’d say half the hunters I know don’t eat the meat. I don’t get that. I have no prob w the guy feeding to his dogs. It gets used. I usually donate feed the hungry each year. I shoot what I want when I want depending on the circumstances. To each their own. And honestly w just a few exceptions the antlers are piled in the garage w only a few mounts done due to the memories of those I was with at the time. Never been much of a wall hanger.
On the other flip is a huge controversy down here if same trophy shot by 2 hunters as to whose it belong to. For goodness sakes it’s just a deer.
Deer are like women in my younger days. I may prefer a blonde but if she interests me then I’m all in!! Sorry I don’t have the same priorities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Farmers are strange folks. Hate liberals but love government handouts. LOLOL. Don’t anybody get pissed. I don’t send their money back either.

It’s funny to me, too, all these city slickers that want “farm raised”, “grass fed”, “hormone-free”, “non-GMO”, etc crap but wouldn’t think of eating venison, wild Turkey, or wild pork. That’s just about stupid.
Farmers are a hardy lot, working a tough job. And, yes, they probably are a bit strange. If you call absolutely not caring in the least little bit about what anyone else thinks of them. Why does the government give them all those handouts? Because they're afraid of them. Farmers generally aren't very vocal until someone gets under their skin, but once they slam a politician it's pretty much the end of their career.

That was the Topic Line on a forum that I visit often where the Lounge Talk can be taken into just about any direction---But Politics.

Anyway, several guys told what they feel they are and why and I was also one that answered.

Then This Guy did that said (I'm posting as close as I can from memory):

"No Doubt I'm a Trophy Hunter. I pick out ONE Buck and will taken only him UNLESS a Bigger Buck show. I don't eat the meat, I feed it to my Dogs.

I'll let a Guest shoot what they like, like this one my Guest shot last year and we fed the meat to the Dogs."

That just didn't set well with me, so I replied on his post that "I was raised to eat what I kill and I Personally Find what you are doing to be disgusting and it helps to give Hunters a Bad Name".

He replied that I was allowed to have my opinion, then went on to say how he has killed a ton of deer in a Deer Reduction Area and gave all the meat away and still will but his feeding it to the Dogs was a good use of it and if he wanted to eat meat he would get a good steak from a Butcher.

I left it go.

But what surprised me was just how many took his side and said that his feeding the meat to his Dogs was a great use of the meat and much better for them than buying Dog Food at the store. Several more made comments that they don't eat the meat either and as one guy stated "just because I don't eat the meat doesn't mean I can't hunt them anymore.

It was quite an eye opening Read. Never realized how many guys that hunt for Deer don't like the meat and only hunt to add another head to their Trophy Wall.

So what y'all say? Was I wrong to suggest that is feeding his Deer Meat to his Dogs was a disgusting move to me?

How Many here hunt but never eat the meat and why?
Yes sir, you are absolutely correct on your stand about feeding the dogs, I myself have 6 German shepherds, until last year I had 8, all the deer that I take down here a year at my place, I give none to my dogs, I'm sure they would love it, but the answer is no, dogs ain't going to happen,

Back