Treehopper drills

We did not experience any problems with the drill bits sticking, just pulled it out often as we drilled and thought that was a normal thing to do. In the trees here the holes did need re-drilling each year as they would partially fill in. It wasn't a big deal, something we always did a month or so before each season along with maintaining shooting lanes and views. Always liked using the power drill and drilling ahead of time because there were usually branches to trim and that is how we got up the tree in the first place to hang our stands.
Were you using the bits designed for cordless drills? Those bits didn't have any issues. It was the bits for the hand drills that had problems.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yes Tap, that is correct. I was using the bits for cordless drills most of the time. No wonder I didn't have a problem! I'm was thinking maybe I had a different product. It did use # 8 bolts and a nylon belt pouch held the bolts. The same gentleman sold climbing belts. Timing was around the early nineties. It was so slick to take the bolts out as you climbed down and I don't think that anyone not invited ever sat in one of our stands as they couldn't climb up to them.

I had tried screw-in steps back then also, once in the screw-in steps were there to stay but I didn't like how they rusted so and thus did not trust them. Also we didn't like that anybody could walk by and just climb right into our stands. I always felt confident with the bolts as they never showed any rust or signs of fatigue.

Reactions: Tap
Yes Tap, that is correct. I was using the bits for cordless drills most of the time. No wonder I didn't have a problem! I'm was thinking maybe I had a different product. It did use # 8 bolts and a nylon belt pouch held the bolts. The same gentleman sold climbing belts. Timing was around the early nineties. It was so slick to take the bolts out as you climbed down and I don't think that anyone not invited ever sat in one of our stands as they couldn't climb up to them.

I had tried screw-in steps back then also, once in the screw-in steps were there to stay but I didn't like how they rusted so and thus did not trust them. Also we didn't like that anybody could walk by and just climb right into our stands. I always felt confident with the bolts as they never showed any rust or signs of fatigue.
The Treehopper company has changed ownership since you the 90's.
Its now owned by Mark Cama.
My impression of him is that he is hands on, and determined to offer quality tree type relayed products hunters want. The guy has been very interested and supportive of my suggestions and opinions on product design.
IMO. anyone that uses screw in steps needs to investigate bolts.
BTW, Anyone interested in buying my ~100 Ameristeps and install tool?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I got an email today from Mark.
The new bits are on the way and should arrive by the end of the week.
Probably be shipping them out next week.
He also sent me a folding handle to test...its SWEET!

Here's the email I got today. Based on the reworked bit that I've tested on many species of tree, you are gonna like this drill!
Mine works great.

Thomas,

We wanted to reach out to you and let you know that the new Revised Treehopper Hand drill bits arrived yesterday. We are currently attending an Outdoor Show in Springfield, MA and are expecting to be back at the shop on Tues 2/26.

We made a couple of changes to the bits that'll allow for easier drilling and extraction: We introduced a more aggressive angle to the cutting lip, which assists the feed screw in pulling the bit into the tree and created a taper from 10mm (at the tip) to 9.5- 9.0mm (as you get closer to the shank). This will allow for easier extraction/ removal.

The new bits are an upgrade and there is no charge for bits or for us to ship them to you. If you choose to send the Hand Drill back to us we'll take care of the postage to return it to you.

We'll start to ship the new bits next week for those that are comfortable with replacing the bit themselves... It requires an 1/8" punch to back out the roll pin enough to remove original drill bit. There is a spring in the sheath over the bit that needs to be compressed and (with the assistance of the punch) line up the channel in the new bit to receive the roll pin and tap the roll pin back into it's fully seated position.

If you'd like to send it to us, please ship to the following address:

Mark Cama
Treehopper LLC
10607 Lithia Estates Dr.
Lithia, FL 33547

We'll do the exchange, turn it around the same day, and get it back to you.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate the feedback!

Please let me know if you'd like us to send new bit to you or if you'll be sending Hand Drill to us for the exchange.

Regards,
Mark
Treehopper LLC

Back