Tree with berries

F12Mahon

I have a tree with whiteish berries I cant find on the web. Somebody know what it is? Doesn't look like any chokecherry I've seen.

Eugene
013c9f445c849be1441fb6b4f1df613b.jpg
539ece33322a6158e9d42cc748250549.jpg
4f6ad590e720c46d0abe7183898acd15.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Grey, red osier or rough leafed dogwood. I struggle to tell the difference for certain, something about piths and flower shapes? I have planted all 3, and I still can’t tell the difference unless I can rub a leaf.

Either way, it’s a good one in my area. I try to encourage it with its natural tendency to form thickets. I have one corner of my in-law’s property that has a 10’ high dogwood thicket and it ALWAYS has a deer or three bedded in it. Browse preference seems average, they aren’t drawn out into the open over it, but all shrubs I see back in the woods have been browsed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It most certainly is a dogwood of some kind. it's not flowering dogwood as they produce red berries. I doubt it's ROD - as ROD has a distinctive red coloration and tends to be a low multi-stemmed shrub vs a tree form. Grey/gray dogwood has the white berries, but mine tend to be more of a thicket formation(cluster of independent plants)....not a tree.....not a single plant with multiple stems. I am not as familiar with rough-leaf dogwood. If I was a betting man....I'm guessing either Gray or Rough-leaf dogwood. You likely have others as the birds tend to spread the seed fairly easily. Nice tree/shrub to have either way. I do not see a lot of browse on my grey dogwoods....but I like having the native shrubs around (which my property lacks). Good deer level cover and wildlife friendly in other ways (bee's and birds).

Grey, red osier or rough leafed dogwood. I struggle to tell the difference for certain, something about piths and flower shapes? I have planted all 3, and I still can’t tell the difference unless I can rub a leaf.

Either way, it’s a good one in my area. I try to encourage it with its natural tendency to form thickets. I have one corner of my in-law’s property that has a 10’ high dogwood thicket and it ALWAYS has a deer or three bedded in it. Browse preference seems average, they aren’t drawn out into the open over it, but all shrubs I see back in the woods have been browsed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^^^^This. Agree it is one of the three.

I think you can rule out Rough Leaf because I don't see any distinctive hairs on the young shoots, which are typical of that variety of dogwood.

You can probably rule out Red Osier if you can't see the distinctive red, mature shoots. However, some of the wild ones are not as distinctive as the cultivated ones, so that can leave a little doubt.

That leaves Grey, which is the most likely.

As Mark said, it doesn't matter. All have similar wildlife value.

I'm impressed you were able to take pictures of dogwoods with fruit still on them. Birds and other wildlife usually get to those before anyone has a chance to see them around here.

Found another of these trees. Took a picture of the bark of a small branch. I cut it and other trees down to release a native plum.
f90a88fe9b71c9e1f680ba62d33e4f51.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

From your keyboard to my farms fauna!

Eugene
5ddc2bb784b895c872ad86f6828ec622.jpg
3bb31ad1c64164f6e0792156aa8546f3.jpg

Nature never ceases to amaze.

Side note -- If that's a pretty mature dogwood, they can be growth from cuttings remarkably well. People like them as ornamentals in yards and trim them regularly. Makes it easy to find cuttings to grow more. Deer will browse their twigs and leaves and they are great cover.

We plant combinations of dogwood, plums, elderberry and honeysuckle on our field edges to build thick cover and browse areas. Especially when plots are young or in rotation, it takes some pressure off the plots.

Back