Tree Tubes Question

TX-Aggie

When you have tree tubes with ventilation, the pictures and all say to put the holes/slots at the top. Funny thing, the ones installed “upside down” by accident actually are having more success in growing.

Has anyone seen this as well? Are their pros and cons for each direction? We are trying to figure this out so we can plan properly going forward.

Sent from my iPad using Deer Hunter Forum

Vents on top. Unvented on bottom so you can spray around the base.

Aggies, huh. Long live Mike Leach.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

you will probably see number of members here have their doubts about success of tree tubes.....i'm on fence yet, can't say i'm against them, but not sure they are the smoking gun... but i'm somewhat surprised by that considering you likely had to have it compete w/ vegetation since couldn't spray around it. My be a bit of outlier tree that maybe had better root system when planted than others.

I had 74% success after 2 years with tubes,at least thats what state said they didn't tell me about ones without but it was the test to start cost sharing them on some crp projects.I plant oaks and a couple other hardwoods but not walnuts fruit trees or chestnuts

We bought some tubes a couple of years ago at the direction of the Ozark Chinquapin Foundation, and over order to save on shipping costs. Since we had them, we figured why not use them to hold back browse pressure, and keep my father and uncle from running over them when mowing roads and plot edges.

I’ve read the whole discussion on tubes or cages, we had the tubes and didn’t have cage material, so we were using what we had for protection.

Like I mentioned, quite a few plantings did well in both tubes right side up and upside down, but almost to a tube the upside down ones had better overall growth so far.

Sent from my iPad using Deer Hunter Forum

Back