Tree Pro and their chestnut trees?

split toe

I spoke with the guy there and he is telling me (you can also see them advertised on his website) that he has chestnut trees that drop by certain months. The catch is they are not grafted like The Wildlife Group does. I was under the impression you had to have grafted trees to guarantee a certain drop month, but the guy at tree pro says this is incorrect. Any thoughts?

Will include the website for reference only
https://www.treepro.com/chestnut-trees

I don't know. It piques my interest enough that I plan on calling the guy and talking to him.

I think it's possible that someone could do this. They could keep crossing the unusual later dropping trees with each other, and over time possibly get the late dropping genetic trait to be prominent in the offspring. However, it seems that it would take a lot of generations to achieve this, which would take a lot of time.

I have about 25 Chinese Chestnut trees producing. The variability in drop time is about a month for mine. The earliest will start dropping around September 15th, and the latest will be done sometime in late October - and generally not far past October 15th.

They are very nice to talk to over the phone. We had a great conversation about persimmon trees and he said he had an interesting spring with the extremely late freeze. He got to inspect 100's of trees (University of Illinois maybe?) and find the ones that managed to blossom after the freeze. He was going to catalog these late bloomers and sell them. He also said the website was going to be improved this winter.

Back