American Chestnut Question

possum

In 2012 we purchased a farm from the president(at that time) of the American Chestnut Foundation Georgia Chapter. That year he planted two of the new "Restoration Chestnut Trees" these were only available to high ups within the foundation at that time. This is the 15/16ths blight resistant American Chestnut tree. Unfortunately one of the two trees died the next year. The remaining tree has done well, in four years it has now grown to aprox 14ft in height.
I spoke with him recently and he said that it will be likely to flower next spring and bear nuts. He recommended I either donate the seeds or grow start growing more trees. Since the tree is infertile, he said he could get me pollen from another restoration 1.0 tree so as not to cross pollinate with nearby Chinese chestnut trees, and we dont want to pollinate with any American chestnuts because the offspring, if thats the right term, will loose the resistance to blight.
I recently purchased a 78 acre hunting property in Wilkes county GA, My plan is to eventually have a grove of pure, blight resistant American chestnut trees on this property.
Since I have never grown trees from seed, I am practicing this year. I gathered a couple dozen Chinese chestnuts, persimmons, and other tree nuts and currently have in refrigerator to keep until early spring.
My question is, if I plant the Chinese chestnuts on the 78 acres, will I be risking a future cross pollination? If the chestnuts are on opposite ends of the property from each other, would they be far enough apart to be safe?
Thanks in advance tree guys!

I have read articles stating chestnuts need to be rather close to pollinate since they are mainly wind pollinated. I would think a few hundred feet would do the trick since most sources state to plant them within 25-40ft of each other for pollination to occur depending on the variety.

Possum,

Distance is one thing and the prevailing wind is another thing. I have been talking with the President of the New York State Chapter and he uses the term isolated. I think 500 feet is a good distance to strive for - but put the Chinese Chestnut in a position where their pollen blows away from your American Chestnut Orchard based upon the prevailing wind.

What is the least wind direction you get at that farm. Where I live the wind very rarely blows out of the NE. The weather service can provide that data to you. Get the wind right and the distance right and you will have a favorable outcome.

I plan to plant some research plots where we can plant a blight resistant American in the center of it. Three trees down each side of a box at 15 feet apart with the center of the box open. That is 8 trees in the box with the center location reserved for the blight resistant tree.

It is amazing to me how they plant large numbers of trees in a close setting orchard and infect all of them with the blight. This kills off the weak and leaves the blight resistance Americans. Out of 500 trees they might have 10 or 12 that are blight resistant.

Nature is survival of the fittest. I am hopeful that the wheat genome they are working on will be successful. I have been speaking to my city government and I will be allowed to plant Americans on city property. This will gives us the isolation needed and the trees can be enjoyed by all of my town. Many of them will die - but not all will. The game is - fine the survivor!

I would try to coax some 15/16 seed out of him! Maybe threaten to plant a Chinese next to it for pollination if he refuses:)
Leverage lol

Last edited:
I attended my first tacf chapter meeting today. They had a silent auction to raise money for the chapter auctioned off 25 15/16" American they went for $25. Kinda wish I had bid now

Yeah I didn't realize it until it was too late. I didn't even bid because I thought that would be the most bid on item.

Back