Tree identity??

Goldentriangle

Gentlemen, are these small saplings persimmon? I found them today and the are not very far away from my biggest persimmon.. Where they are growing, they will be killed and planted in beans. I would like to relocate them but I know persimmon has a very deep taproot. They are about 3.5 ft tall. Would it be worth the effort to dig up? Or should I just stick to growing from seed?
Thanks
Scott
61bcf8c30ffa13466a40f3340da9497d.jpg

90397f4d2514f6c41099fd48e74ca263.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They look like persimmon. About the only other tree that is easily confused with persimmon is black gum, but those look like persimmon.

I've had some luck with digging and moving small ones, but the bigger the tree, the less likely your success will be. At that size, a 20% success rate would be very good.

Leaves look dark and glossy unlike persimmon trees I've seen.
I dug some up that were about 3" tall a couple weeks ago and they survived transplant

Possum, I thought the same thing about the glossy leaves until I checked the mother tree. The new growth leaves are glossy also..
b385a50ae14d011dafd4acac7161ed00.jpg

Native, I have heard that the black gums look just like persimmon, I don't think they are that prevalent here in west central Illinois but I may be wrong.
Thanks
Scott

Persimmon leaves at my place are shining like new money right now.

What you have is persimmon, and if you have any doubt, you can always look at the bundle scars at the base of the leaves to tell the difference between persimmon and black gum. Persimmon has 1 and Black Gum has 3.

No doubts at all Native thank you. 20% isn't much for odds but I may give it a shot anyway since they will be killed soon anyways.

Nothing to lose and a wanted tree to possibly gain if you are going to kill them anyhow. Let us know if it works out.

Possum, I thought the same thing about the glossy leaves until I checked the mother tree. The new growth leaves are glossy also..
b385a50ae14d011dafd4acac7161ed00.jpg

Native, I have heard that the black gums look just like persimmon, I don't think they are that prevalent here in west central Illinois but I may be wrong.
Thanks
Scott

That is one monstrous persimmon tree !!

Definitely persimmon. One thing I've wondered is if you can just plant parts of persimmon roots and get trees??? I know at the farm when I start new plots, for the first three or four years, every time I plow I cut up old persimmon roots that then grow trees all over my plots. Thinks I will experiment with that this winter. Probably won't work when I'm TRYING to get it to work.

We have noticed the same thing from the big tree pictured.. I have dug up bunches of small suckers from that tree and relocated them. The roots had no problems putting on more roots where I cut them free.
I have wanted to try putting some rooting hormone on some cuttings and stick them in rootmakers.

Back