Time for Clearance Trees

Fishman

The local Walmarts are starting to clear out their Chestnut Hill Outdoors trees. I know that these are big box store trees, but they have a big buck on the label, so they must be good trees. This year my local Walmart stocked 3g and 7g chestnuts, several types of 3g persimmons, 3g Thanksgiving pears, and 7g Dr. Deer pears. I wound up buying four Thanksgiving pears for $9 a piece last week. Today I bought a 3g Deer Candy persimmon, a 3g Deer Magnet persimmon, and three 3g chestnut trees for $4.50 a piece. I stopped by another Walmart that had several 3g chestnuts with multiple burrs on them, but they wanted $9 for them and I had to walk away. Several people have been able to ask for and receive another price reduction or discount if they buy several trees, but I wasn't able to do that today. I didn't ask for a discount on the $4.50 trees, but the other Walmart wouldn't deal on their $9 and $12 trees. I will keep the trees at my house over the summer before planting them this fall.

47800330292_d8b3d618d7_o.jpg

I have provided links below that will allow you to search your local Walmart stock for these trees. The trees I bought all looked good, but there is definitely a difference in quality between different stores. Good luck with them.

3 Gallon Chestnut
7 Gallon Chestnut
3 Gallon Persimmon
3 Gallon Thanksgiving Pear
7 Gallon Dr. Deer Pear

You can find good stuff at big box stores....just know what your buying! I particularly avoid fruit trees from big box stores. I have however bought chestnut and grafted female persimmons from big box stores before....especially when they go on sale. I got a ways to wait yet before that happens here.... probably not until after father's day.

My Walmart is down to $21 for 3 gal and $30 for 7 gal Dunstans. 40% off.
I'll wait them out a while longer. Thanks for the link.

My Walmart is down to $21 for 3 gal and $30 for 7 gal Dunstans. 40% off.
I'll wait them out a while longer. Thanks for the link.
Be prepared to either act fast or go in and talk to the store manager and see if they will sell the whole lot to you for a better price. I was waiting a store out once....I found out they sold everything to another guy who paid $20 a tree for all of them at once.... (7 gal trees). Also be aware that once they reach a certain price they sell...or pitch them. They will NOT sell you discarded trees as they fear you will return next year for a replacement... Just things I have learned in playing the waiting game.

The local Walmarts are starting to clear out their Chestnut Hill Outdoors trees. I know that these are big box store trees, but they have a big buck on the label, so they must be good trees. This year my local Walmart stocked 3g and 7g chestnuts, several types of 3g persimmons, 3g Thanksgiving pears, and 7g Dr. Deer pears. I wound up buying four Thanksgiving pears for $9 a piece last week. Today I bought a 3g Deer Candy persimmon, a 3g Deer Magnet persimmon, and three 3g chestnut trees for $4.50 a piece. I stopped by another Walmart that had several 3g chestnuts with multiple burrs on them, but they wanted $9 for them and I had to walk away. Several people have been able to ask for and receive another price reduction or discount if they buy several trees, but I wasn't able to do that today. I didn't ask for a discount on the $4.50 trees, but the other Walmart wouldn't deal on their $9 and $12 trees. I will keep the trees at my house over the summer before planting them this fall.

47800330292_d8b3d618d7_o.jpg

I have provided links below that will allow you to search your local Walmart stock for these trees. The trees I bought all looked good, but there is definitely a difference in quality between different stores. Good luck with them.

3 Gallon Chestnut
7 Gallon Chestnut
3 Gallon Persimmon
3 Gallon Thanksgiving Pear
7 Gallon Dr. Deer Pear

Thanks for the easy to use links. Nothing in Northern NY though

Sent from my iPad using Deer Hunter Forum

The inventory tracking system can be really accurate or totally off. When I bought the pear trees last week, I checked the link as soon as I got home and it showed the four that I bought had already been taken off their inventory. I was traveling for work yesterday and stopped by a few Walmarts. One store said they had seven persimmons and they didn't have any when I got there so the inventory tracking system isn't 100% accurate.

The trees I bought were in the first shipments that Chestnut Hills sent out so it may be a few weeks before the clearances start moving north. I think Chestnut Hills was still shipping trees north a couple of weeks ago.

I appreciate the links. Last year I had my pick of the trees. It was like no one knew what a chestnut was. Now it shows every Walmart for miles around is out. I’m going to have to go see for myself. As hard a time as I’m having getting persimmon to germinate I think I’d just as soon find some of them.

My Walmart had there trees marked down to $9. I asked the manager how low she could go.
She said $4.50. I took 9 Dunstan and 1 persimmon. Thanks again fishman!!!
70f0aa00919fecb1ca117c4729abdc48.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only way I knew they were on sale/clearance was by checking the link fishman provided, and I still got them cheaper by just asking. There was no signs, no rollback price, no nothing. They still had the original price tags on them, so no one really knows the clearance price without asking. The brickseek inventory was accurate for my store too.

Glad that you were able to get some good quality, cheap trees. I was traveling again last week and was able to purchase two 7-gallon pears for $6 a piece, one 3-gallon pear for $4.50, and two 3-gallon chestnuts for $4.50. I had to ask for the discount. One chestnut tree has four burs and the other has five burs, so I should have some nuts for growing more next year. There were more trees there, but buying 7-gallon trees concerns me. I worry about potential problems next year since I cannot water the trees that often. Some of the 7-gallon chestnuts are 10-11 foot tall and that is a lot of tree for the root system to support if they are not getting supplemental water during their first year in the ground.

Still 34.97 and 49.97 here in West Virginia hope prices drop soon
Just be patient. The trees I bought were shipped to the stores around me the last week of February. According to the Chestnut Hill web site, the trees didn’t ship to West Virginia until mid-April.

Need to ask in my area next month. Those trees are hard for me to pass up under $10.

Snagged 1 chestnut tree at walmart

several Dr Deer pear trees

What,pray tell is a Dr deer Tree? couldn't pass up 4.50$/tree!

bill

The Dr Deer Pear was discovered by Dr. James Kroll in Texas. It is a grafted wildlife pear that ripens in late fall and holds on the tree until Thanksgiving! The real benefit to using Dr. Deer Pears is that they have small fruit in clusters and tend to hold onto them well into late fall. The fruit is excellent for deer and wildlife, and will bring them in throughout the hunting season. There is a big buck right on the label so you know you are going to shoot a trophy buck every time you hunt around it.

Hardy in Zones 5-9.
Tree Form: Central Leader
Height: 20'-30'
Spread: 10'-20'
Fruit: Yellow/russet (when ripe) ripens Nov-Dec
Wildlife: One of very best trees for deer and wildlife.
Pollination: Self Fertile-Grafted
Light requirements: Full sun
Soil type: Adapted to upland, wet if only seasonal and well drained or sandy clay or loam
Ph 6.0-7.0

Thanks to Fishman for starting this thread. I used the easy to use link and found some of the Walmart’s about 100 miles from me had some chestnuts in stock. I wondered why none of the stores nearer me stocked the trees.

I had to travel out of town for business, and made a detour on the way back to hit a store that had some of the 3g Chestnuts in stock.

The store had several, and they looked to be in good shape. I asked to speak to the manager to see about a discount. While I was waiting, I read the card attached to the tree. It read that the trees were good down to Zone 5. After a little more research, I was reminded that my chunk of land is in Zone 4. I suppose that’s why none of the stores near me stocked the trees.

In the end, I passed on the trees, and will focus more on getting some oaks in the ground.

Thanks again to Fishman for the great info.

Rusty

Sent from my iPad using Deer Hunter Forum

Back