Thoughts on Osage orange/hedge

Also great to build with. I know a guy with his own mill and he did A LOT of his house in hedge. For as yellow as it starts out, it turns a suprising deep red after a couple of yrs.

Makes a fantastic self bow and my favorite duck call wood period.

x2 on the bow wood... I have made several from Osage orange over the years. Here is one I backed with rattlesnake skin...

072858df51bab090fae598daea33b826.jpg

4f5209122815beb596547227be1c1843.jpg

108737ac7c5dc7f1d33f536fcb07a539.jpg

27ce4a813398be4b979245c36ed3c15d.jpg

a26ec51d6f4ec3c49808c0761c13ed07.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scratch, you got several bowyers drooling with straight-grained hedge and awesome growth rings. Regarding its use to deer, not sure that its the same in W. Kansas, but don't see why not. Noble Foundation (south central OK) did a pretty significant study a few years back. Having trouble coming up with it now (best I can find has just the summary in it, http://oklaenvirothon.org/pdfs/wildlife/white-tailed-deer.pdf), but they found it one of the highest preference foods and preference was throughout the year (all 4 seasons of collection). Primarily it was from the leaves, crazy protein levels in there. I can vouch, as I've got a food plot in a draw filled with bois-d'arcs and pretty well have to annually trim out limbs that hang over and try to pull me off the tractor. When stacked in a location that our cows (longhorns) can get to them they will stand around the pile, stretch their tongues out and pull leaves off the cut branches.

Scratch, you got several bowyers drooling with straight-grained hedge and awesome growth rings. Regarding its use to deer, not sure that its the same in W. Kansas, but don't see why not. Noble Foundation (south central OK) did a pretty significant study a few years back. Having trouble coming up with it now (best I can find has just the summary in it, http://oklaenvirothon.org/pdfs/wildlife/white-tailed-deer.pdf), but they found it one of the highest preference foods and preference was throughout the year (all 4 seasons of collection). Primarily it was from the leaves, crazy protein levels in there. I can vouch, as I've got a food plot in a draw filled with bois-d'arcs and pretty well have to annually trim out limbs that hang over and try to pull me off the tractor. When stacked in a location that our cows (longhorns) can get to them they will stand around the pile, stretch their tongues out and pull leaves off the cut branches.

Deer certainly like those leaves too...the browse line behind these deer on Home 25 is all deer

7fd486f15a2a063a151698bb8ada5052.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Around here Osage is about the most preferred woody browse along with mulberry. I hinge individual limbs on mine to keep some growth within reach for them.

An old timer around here said if you want to grow osage orange all you have to do is cut a hedge apple into quarters and bury a quarter a couple inches deep. Never tried it, but if you can get one started, you can't hardly kill it. When we put a stand in osage orange, we treat any limbs we cut with Tordon. It never kills the tree, but keeps suckers from forming at the cut.

Back