Thoughts on Osage orange/hedge

Rmauch

I'm starting to think I might have treeplanting/shrub planting problem. I just ordered 25 more American plum bare roots and 25 Osage Orange bare roots from the Kansas forest service. I had good luck with the plums last year, the ones that didn't get flooded out in spring.
The Osage Orange will be used for mainly cover and a windbreak. I don't think the fruit is that popular with wildlife. What is your guys thoughts on Osage/hedge trees.

This year I'm also going to use a dibble bar for the bare roots. Last year I just put the plums in with a spade. It seems like the dibble bar might save some labor.

Great stuff. I have seen deer eat hedge apples on our place as well as squirrels. Deer love to browse the leaves as well and it makes a great screen given time...

At one time Osage orange was promoted as a "living fence" by various ag agencies. The long narrow plantings of windbreaks that are common throughout the Midwest were used as a thorny, gnarly fence row, especially when trimmed branches were woven between the tree's trunks. It could turn cattle, and I can attest that I won't walk through the small row on my east fence, unless I HAVE to!

I like hedge a lot. Deer LOVE the leafs here and will eat the fruit, but the fruit certainly isn't preferred.

It make great firewood, doesn't seem to be affected by drought, and I've never seen or heard of disease with the stuff.

It is also closely related to the Che tree (or Chinese mulberry) and can be grafted over to it if you want an edible fruit from it.

I think hedge is great. They are getting harder to find in the midwest anymore. Farmers have cut out many of the hedge rows to grab that extra acre to plant. I have seen both deer and squirrels feed on the apples and leaves. Although I am not sure the apples are preferred food they will mess with them at times.

I've got some really old Osage orange trees on my place. As already mentioned deer and squirrels will feed on the fruit and leaves.
If you ever decide to cut one down, borrow your brother in laws saw to do it. It'll ruin a chain as quick as anything I've seen. Tough, hard wood. Burns hot in the fireplace.

I spent considerable time removing Osage Orange from my property. Osage Orange is used for fence posts because it lasts longer than steel or treated wood, so it will not decompose in the planters life time, making it necessary to burn it to dispose of it. The wood is so high in BTUs that it will melt the mantle in a fireplace. I also find it invasive and am continually weeding it out before it overtakes fruit and nut trees.

On the other hand, Osage Orange is related to Mulberry and is highly preferred browse. This area has been hit so hard by drought that 100 year old oaks are dead and dying, while Osage Orange remains healthy and productive because it is extremely drought tolerant.

In all my years of sitting in a hedge tree hunting hedge row crossings I have seed deer eat alot of leaves but never a hedgeball,pack rats and squirrels like them alot.I have also planted them from Kansas forestry and looked at getting my own seed from hedge balls but never got around to planting

It makes the worlds greatest fence posts. I've pulled some 40 year old posts and the under ground portion looked to be the same diameter as the day it was buried and the above ground portion was still solid but eroded by the elements. Got em all over my place.

As folks look for greener solutions to organic orchards and such, hedge and black locust posts are getting a lot of attention and bringing modest prices.
Not sure anyone can grow a straight hedge tree though.:D

How's these for straight (60ft tall?)?
88b9eea30e94d160bc306bc22e054156.jpg

634dac354a0fec2a17cc7a2812c7a881.jpg

6dee6b8bc98a0dfacba6af8dcbe57bd9.jpg

I prune some for straightness, stump cut some for browsing, and girdle some for standing dead timber. I also actively plant it even though most people think I'm crazy.
It's my favorite firewood. I like to find it so old that it's black on the outside but yellow inside. It'll spark when cutting it like this, but it sure burns hot and for a long time. Got to make sure to have a full chisel on your chain and don't let it run out of bar oil.
9506e1428482393b698206ff1cf51fe0.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I've got some really old Osage orange trees on my place. As already mentioned deer and squirrels will feed on the fruit and leaves.
If you ever decide to cut one down, borrow your brother in laws saw to do it. It'll ruin a chain as quick as anything I've seen. Tough, hard wood. Burns hot in the fireplace.

And borrow his tractor to bush hog wherever limbs have fallen to the ground. Get it back home before the tires go flat

Dang Scratch, thats some awesome hedge right there. I read a study a few days ago comparing native trees and rot resistance. After 50 years, hedge was still 100% sound. Black locust was something like 80% posts still sound.

I'm starting to think I might have treeplanting/shrub planting problem. I just ordered 25 more American plum bare roots and 25 Osage Orange bare roots from the Kansas forest service. I had good luck with the plums last year, the ones that didn't get flooded out in spring.
The Osage Orange will be used for mainly cover and a windbreak. I don't think the fruit is that popular with wildlife. What is your guys thoughts on Osage/hedge trees.
Hedge is a love/hate relationship for me. They can be fairly invasive, but the positives are many. For a windbreak they are unmatched, especially with a row of cedars next to it.25 won't go very far though, as you'll have to plant them pretty close together for a windbreak.
Yesterday I spent some time chainsawing hedge to clear an area for persimmons. Felt lucky to end with just a few scratches on the arms, as I usually end up looking like I lost a fight with a bobcat ;)

I always took care of the girls but would clear some males to bring sun light to the ground. If cat's monster hedge trees were males I'd probably tip them over.

Hedge posts at $10 per are a leading industry in Keosauqua.

G

I have lots of hedge on my place - they love my creek bottoms. I also can't get one to grow straight. Mine grow about 6 feet and then SPREAD like a large weeping willow type formations that are 20 to 30 feet tall and canopies wider than that that will arch and reach the ground. I see little actual use of them by the deer, but I live in a very heavy ag area so the deer have plenty to eat and it is. I have no reason to ever plant them as I have enough as it is. I also can't say I have seen a mouth size hedgeball. Those I see are the size of a softball or larger. 99% of mine are large old trees and I really consider cutting them simply to get more sunlight to the ground. Like I said - they really like water. All of mine are near creeks or places that have a fair amount of water for one reason or another..

I am pulling an old hedge post for my pedestal deer mounts for this year. I found one back when I was a young whipper snapper that bucks were rubbing. Last year I leased this farm that I haven't hunted since back in the early 90's. I found that old hedge post and the bucks have finally hour glassed it out enough that the top half broke off. I am going to pull the post and run a dowel through it to hopefully put it back together for the mount. A couple old strands of barb wire laying on the ground next to it will tie the whole look I am going for together. I am excited to have something from my past go into my new mounts. My dad and I put that post in the ground when I was 10 years old.

Back