This is why you don't give a guy like me...

birdgunner

A lifetime warranty on a mower deck! haha

I am what one would call an urban commando. I left farm country (and access to 1000 acres) in Michigan after college and moved to NC where I live and have lived in nothing but suburbia, although ironically I have been more successful in an urban environment than I ever was back home so I can't complain. Our last house was only .46 acre and I was that guy who put in a clover strip with nothing but a yard rake and gly along the back of the yard and harvested deer from it (I had permission from the developer if I used my bow). Now we live in a community where everyone has 10acre lots but covenants do not allow for hunting...however I was fortunate enough to be able to lease 60 acres that backs up to our subdivision... and there just so happened to be a small .2 acre clearing amongst the forest so I decided to put my new Lawnmower to the test! haha
backfield jungle.jpg backfield.jpg

I am happy to report that the Husqavarna was up to the challenge.
In the spring I limed , sprayed, fertilized and put down some clover seed then time got away from me ( I had intended to keep the weeds at bay with Raptor- whoops), so the other day when I went to check on things I was a little nervous when I discovered that the weeds had exploded to higher than my head, not surprising given the ideal set up, but lacking common sense when it comes to this stuff I plowed forward and low and behold was amazed I was able to tame that seemingly impenetrable jungle...with a lawn mower!
After I mowed it down I had to go out of town on business but put up a camera and a trophy rock before I left, after returning I was happy to see that a turkey is bugging in the field, a couple does wandered about and this bachelor herd visited the reclaimed field...
backfield bucks.JPG

I sprayed the field today and in a few weeks will put down a high sugar ryegrass, oats and berseem mix and see what happens.
To all the people who read these forums and dream about food plotting, I am proof you don't need a "real" tractor and implements or lots of land to make that reality come true, just need some sweat equity and a touch of crazy! haha Don't get me wrong, I dream of getting an actual tractor and some implements as it would make life much easier but until then a lawn mower and weed whacker will have to suffice.
Stay tuned to see how this ends up! I also have a plot started in my backyard that I may just get lucky with as well...just don't tell my neighbors :)

Great job! I'm with you, all my plots are done with the mower.

7825f082a610e07717c8c1def2bb9c42.jpg
aafe27109e9c12296ff15fb9700c9958.jpg
4c061c6af72f8e9a36da5018adb7e1a6.jpg
1aaead3573a525319cef2c7c8e9ddf9e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

NCNat - the "nice" deer are the ones hiding on the back 10...hopefully they like the buckwheat planted in the backyard. As for the box blind in the background, we "inherited" that when we bought our lot, shame to take it down :Dbackyard2016.JPG backyard4.JPG

Last edited:
The one with the bent down g3 and trash on the bases has some character!

I have never seen a point like the "broken G3 buck" that is neat. Dang nice deer for NC as well I would say.

I have never seen a point like the "broken G3 buck" that is neat. Dang nice deer for NC as well I would say.
We get one bent like that occasionally. I was very excited the first time I saw one because I thought it was a drop tine. I've always wanted to shoot a drop tines buck.

Thar bent antler buck is very nice! We've had a couple, and both times they broke off after the velvet shed - probably rubbing trees -

So are you saying there is fine print associated with the "Lifetime" warranty sticker on the deck? :eek: Figured it really only pertains to rusting out but that is something that can be argued if ever need be I suppose! haha

So are you saying there is fine print associated with the "Lifetime" warranty sticker on the deck? :eek: Figured it really only pertains to rusting out but that is something that can be argued if ever need be I suppose! haha
It doesn't pertain to a 500 pound rock protruding from the ground just high enough to create a sound that I knew is an instant was not good, bending a blade and breaking a spindle.

60 acres backing a subdivsion with no hunting. Sounds like someone is going to have a great season.

Brushpile that makes my stomach drop. I know my day is coming if I keep on using it as a bush hog...can't wait to have to try and explain that one to my wife.

I didn't get my hands on Berseem but did get Durana in and it is doing well. It was an awesome spot/plot where we saw deer every time we went out and had good success, can't ask for anything more.
plot.jpg

Back