The Massey

Don't know exactly why, but I sure like that tractor! Grandpa stuck my youngest on a tractor for a few minutes yesterday dragging a springtooth. Thankfully there was a breeze, otherwise the dust would have been a lung filler.
The driver makes it look better!:)
17 years of married bliss today. :D

Got the last conventionally planted plot in this morning. Desperately hoping it rains on it before the end of October. All that is left to do is t&m, waiting for rain still for that.
17CA370B-C1C0-43E8-A45A-9AD3FFE5BE21.jpeg
The rest of the plot and browse look as pitiful as I’ve ever seen. Even the plum and sumac thickets are done.
3D165D6B-8723-42EE-9DC1-497C021494A7.jpeg
E13E79E7-33F5-4DA1-98FE-72684A9FE959.jpeg
On a good note, found my go to food plot plant for next year!
A9B84C66-E49D-47B5-BEC6-FDB1916E3451.jpeg

Got a little winter prep done today on the day off. A week from today I’ll be throwing and mowing the rest of our plots, forecast be darned. I’m sick of staring at the seed in the barn.
0AB90087-2CDF-44FB-8762-DF3EE807FC9D.jpeg

Wanted to document this here, I hope to look back on this one day in wonder and NEVER experience it again.
Today makes 128 days without significant rainfall. We’ve had 1.95” at the Massey since June 7th.

Wanted to document this here, I hope to look back on this one day in wonder and NEVER experience it again.
Today makes 128 days without significant rainfall. We’ve had 1.95” at the Massey since June 7th.
Bad summer for sure! Here is the latest drought monitor for those folks who think they are in a drought...

2e445adeffbee046c975208312b779ff.jpg

Went to water trees again yesterday. It’s supposed to get down to 23 Tuesday night, so that should put the trees in dormancy, right? I’m still watering them weekly right now, hoping to soon to scale back some. While there I got a few pics.
This is the brassica plot, they should be over knee high right now, I’m amazed so many are still hanging on, even though they won’t amount to anything at this point.
2F11C0A5-4AF6-47AB-AB03-A557F60683EB.jpeg
Also, our bucks must absolutely hate black locust trees!
7226CA8E-D696-4D83-9A92-C2D20B7C99EA.jpeg
1A1F1682-4364-46DD-A47F-DA79B0C7E52F.jpeg

My weather app is stubbornly forecasting rain for Monday. The chance has gone up every day. Now saying 100% chance of significant rain. Not one other weather site is calling for it though. I sure hope the app fellas are right!!
Got all but one small plot finished at Little House, I’ll do the last Saturday morning. Then it’s time to hunt!

I need to document this for the future, this has been a year tree to remember. They are calling for significant rainfall tomorrow for the first time since June 6th. For a whole host of reasons, I pray they’re right this time!

22060eebd2b665925ed52fd5daa8ddd9.jpg

Aye. What say you? May not be inches, but you have to get 1/4” before you can get to 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
We’re getting there, heard from a neighbor that it has been coming down pretty good for a while now. I’m betting we get to an inch for the first time since June!

We ended up with right at an inch at the Massey, I’d forgotten how much rain has to fall to get an inch. It won’t stop the bleeding at all, but it will help the plots I guess I can say selfishly.

Its been like this in central KS too. Last time I looked, I had 5 oak seedlings with green leaves still. The other 33 were dead. Didn't mess with a fall food plot this year. Hoping my abundant cover pulls in enough deer to make it work this fall. Good luck on the Massey!

Its been like this in central KS too. Last time I looked, I had 5 oak seedlings with green leaves still. The other 33 were dead. Didn't mess with a fall food plot this year. Hoping my abundant cover pulls in enough deer to make it work this fall. Good luck on the Massey!
Thank you, same to you! I’ll be out in your country in a month Kurt, meeting a friend from South Dakota to hunt around Cedar Bluff.

Been out 3 times so far, twice on public stands and once at my in-laws — haven’t seen much as of yet. Supposed to get some good rain today, could make tomorrow really good with a 12 degree drop in temps. Regardless, I’ll be at the Massey tomorrow morning for the first time this fall. Dawna hunted there last week and swears she heard a mountain lion scream:eek:, so I might be packing when I venture out in the dark.

Been out 3 times so far, twice on public stands and once at my in-laws — haven’t seen much as of yet. Supposed to get some good rain today, could make tomorrow really good with a 12 degree drop in temps. Regardless, I’ll be at the Massey tomorrow morning for the first time this fall. Dawna hunted there last week and swears she heard a mountain lion scream:eek:, so I might be packing when I venture out in the dark.

A mountain lion in southeast KS is not out of the realm of possibilities. A friend in Iowa saw one while he and his wife were turkey hunting and he had the pics to prove it ! Watch yer six !

Finally have enough growth in the plots to put a camera at the lower barn plot on the Massey; which I did yesterday. Here’s a distant plot pic at little house that shows a little green peaking through.
30B9AD01-4BCE-4ADC-954D-E4E7584EDB18.jpeg
A couple bucks including the big 8 are still around at little house. I’m a little worried about the first buck that has a tremendous amount of potential. He looks really skinny, I’m hoping he’s not EHD infected. This pic doesn’t show how bad he looks.
1AC0CFB6-BDA0-4DDE-B0B6-1C27BF9E8D32.jpeg
Dawna has her eye on the big 8, he looks plenty healthy
F85425A1-B276-4BCB-80FD-884959E4DED8.jpeg

Last edited:
Got 1.8” at the Massey, best rain in a LONG, long time. Sat our back line and saw 16 deer. No rut activity to speak of, but it was a beautiful morning. That’s the most deer I’ve seen in November on the Massey in a long time too.

Got 1.8” at the Massey, best rain in a LONG, long time. Sat our back line and saw 16 deer. No rut activity to speak of, but it was a beautiful morning. That’s the most deer I’ve seen in November on the Massey in a long time too.
Good to hear you're finally getting some relief. I hope you can hook some more and get rehydrated. We're still recovering from last year.

Back