Tall Grow Box for Chestnuts

i believe taproot preservation is the key to baby tree survival in our arid region with harsh ,hot, and dry summer.

have you tried with other species? Perhaps oak ?

"respect,don't resect" taproots

really cool

bill

Cool. I've done something similar but not nearly as tall/deap as you went. Going to be fun planting them. :) Do you have a post hole digger?

I just have three growing this year. The box can actually hold six. I’m curious how they will do in the heat this summer. Also curious if top watering will be enough or if I will have to rig up some type of misting system for underneath the table to wet the long pots.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I just have three growing this year. The box can actually hold six. I’m curious how they will do in the heat this summer. Also curious if top watering will be enough or if I will have to rig up some type of misting system for underneath the table to wet the long pots.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

May 9th
a2f6506a24b135033bf134feb08b3778.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 9th
a2f6506a24b135033bf134feb08b3778.jpg

Great idea. I was just thinking about trying to rig some pantyhose as long fabric pots. Has anyone tried that?
I have an experiment going too. I’m taking the trees I direct seeded and putting them in milk cartons like I did last year but this time I cut them so they would air prune. And I have 5 RM 18,s that I have chestnuts and STO & CPO started in. I put them inside of clear plastic bags and clothes pinned them shut. After they started to sprout I took them out of the bags and put them in an outside growing cage, I will transfer both kinds into the brown 1 gal fabric pots in early July and will check to see which one have the best root system after they go dormant look forward to seeing how yours do ..
afd0bff6f8415899337644324ec41dab.jpg
c3d99062be1f63803ed88e387dda6c53.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We’ve had our first 90 degree heat this week and I can already tell I’m going to have to rig up something to water them while I’m gone on vacation in a couple months.

Back