Switchgrass dilema

j-bird

Ok - I kicked off a switchgrass project earlier this year, but things seem to have fallen behind and I am trying to determine if I should still move forward or simply wait.

I have roughly 3 acres that I burned and removed saplings from in late spring. I also recently mowed this area again, but I have not sprayed anything yet.

I have the seed now and I have the chemicals I will use. My plan was/is to broadcast the seed and not drill (to avoid the cost as I have to pay someone to do it). I really don't want to plow and disc and bring all that seed to the surface either. I have read LC's threads on switchgrass and I think I may simply continue to mow and spray this year to kill off as much as I can and then frost seed and manage per LC's wisdom. The other part of me HATES waiting and having 3 acres of nothing......if I "go for it" now my plan would be to spray gly and broadcast the seed ASAP. Sort of a throw and spray (like throw and mow) practice.

With it being almost mid June......do I "go for it" or wait and follow LC's advice????

I think without a per-emergent herbicide like simazine you are fighting an uphill battle. I have planted switchgrass at about this time of year so that's not a problem. Go for it, just mix simazine in with your gly application.

I think without a per-emergent herbicide like simazine you are fighting an uphill battle. I have planted switchgrass at about this time of year so that's not a problem. Go for it, just mix simazine in with your gly application.
I read simanize can be active in the ground for 2 to 7 months as a pre-emergence herbicide. If I was to apply this wouldn't it prevent my switch from germinating or kill it? I am not familiar with this chemical and have never used it. I'm pretty much a gly, cleth and 2-4D sort of guy.

"Atrazine or simazine at no less then 2.5 quarts per acre before weeds emerge and they can be combined for more effective weed control."
https://iowawhitetail.com/forum/threads/switchgrass.13575/
It's not going to affect your switchgrass and it will be controlling weeds for 2-7 months, meaning you won't have to do anything.

You can use 2-4D, but it won't help with the grasses, and I wouldn't treat switch with cleth.

"Atrazine or simazine at no less then 2.5 quarts per acre before weeds emerge and they can be combined for more effective weed control."
https://iowawhitetail.com/forum/threads/switchgrass.13575/
It's not going to affect your switchgrass and it will be controlling weeds for 2-7 months, meaning you won't have to do anything.

You can use 2-4D, but it won't help with the grasses, and I wouldn't treat switch with cleth.
I was aware of atrizine - I was not aware of the simanize - I will look into it for sure regardless if I plant now or later.

Spray a couple time to keep everything dead broadcast some winter wheat before a rain or drag to get some contact but do fairly thin.You can broadcast switch into the wheat and spray the wheat or mow early spring.I have done that on all my switch planting.You can also drill switch with about any drill since it is a non bearded seed

Back