Success in Virginia

Foragefarmer

Life has been hindering my hunting time, my everything time for that matter.

Well yesterday I was invited to hunt a very large managed property. The owner rabbit hunts my property after deer season. I got dropped off on an old logging road overlooking a valley with a secondary draw feeding up a mountain. I was going to be there till picked up.

I saw nothing till noon. Then I heard what sounded like deer scuffling over a small ridge to my right. Then nothing for 5-10 mins. and then I saw a number of deer running around below me near the valley floor. It was a doe, fawn, and very nice buck. But they were 200 yards away through the woods. I was thinking that this won't work out. However the buck kept pushing the doe around in circles and trying to drive the fawn away and the doe filtered up the hill in front of me and then eventually cut across me into the secondary draw at 80 yards and the buck followed her on a string and when he presented the best shot I though I was going to get I took it. My .25 06 planted him as it has a tendency to do.

IMG_4911 (1).jpg

IMG_4917.jpg

I hunted the rest of the day to try to get a doe but saw nothing.

I feel very fortunate. I had an 11 pt. on my property; that was the deer I was chasing, that was this class of deer. It was killed on a neighboring property a couple of weeks ago and I thought my chance at a really nice buck was gone for this year.

I feel very fortunate. I had an 11 pt. on my property; that was the deer I was chasing, that was this class of deer. It was killed on a neighboring property a couple of weeks ago and I thought my chance at a really nice buck was gone for this year.
Thats always rough, but congratulations on a great buck!

Back