Strawberry bush

Redneck

im looking at buying some strawberry bushes " hearts a bustin" I was just wondering where is the cheapest place to buy from.

I planted 100 11/14

ONE survivor from east texas heat

protected in cage . deer massacre branches growing outside of cage

bill

How long would you have to protect them for before they can sustain browsing pressure?
From what I have read you will have to keep the cages on them all the time. They can handle the browse pressure but the deer will keep them eat to the ground.

From what I have read you will have to keep the cages on them all the time. They can handle the browse pressure but the deer will keep them eat to the ground.

So how big of a cage do you put around them? Is it worth planting something that needs to be caged forever?

I can't say from experience as I have never planted any bit from what I have read you leave the hoop net on and the deer will eat whatever grows out of it. I say if the deer loves it as much as they say then it is definitely worth planting. Maybe someone with some experience with them can chime in.
So how big of a cage do you put around them? Is it worth planting something that needs to be caged forever?

I can't say from experience as I have never planted any bit from what I have read you leave the hoop net on and the deer will eat whatever grows out of it. I say if the deer loves it as much as they say then it is definitely worth planting. Maybe someone with some experience with them can chime in.

I have experience but in a place with abundant food for the number of deer. Strawberry bush grows wild here, and it is browsed heavily but not to the extent that its eaten to the ground. They love them, and will go right up near houses at night and browse the ones they are afraid to go near in daylight.

I see them at lots of places on my farm, and they are always browsed pretty hard, yet they make berries most years.

In overpopulation situations, I doubt they would survive without caging. You could make cages that protected the bush enough to keep it healthy but let the deer eat what grows outside the cage. That would be my recommendation.

I have experience but in a place with abundant food for the number of deer. Strawberry bush grows wild here, and it is browsed heavily but not to the extent that its eaten to the ground. They love them, and will go right up near houses at night and browse the ones they are afraid to go near in daylight.

I see them at lots of places on my farm, and they are always browsed pretty hard, yet they make berries most years.

In overpopulation situations, I doubt they would survive without caging. You could make cages that protected the bush enough to keep it healthy but let the deer eat what grows outside the cage. That would be my recommendation.
Thanks for the information Native, that is pretty much what I have read. I want to plant around 100 and I will cage maybe 20 and see what happens

What type of material are you using to support the fencing in a hoop shape? Or do you just cut a bunch of fencing in let's say 6 foot sections
And anchor it in an arch?

What type of material are you using to support the fencing in a hoop shape? Or do you just cut a bunch of fencing in let's say 6 foot sections
And anchor it in an arch?
I will be using the square welded wire and just bend it in a u shape, I will a chore it down with some rebar. I will post some pics when I get this project done

Back