still searching

Nebraskaz71

Since its getting to be fall I'm still in search for a single fruit tree. I am zone 4-5, i get late frosts, I want disease resistant and i'm totally ok with early drop since season opens sept 1 here. I have kieffer pear at the moment, I tried adding a moonglow this spring but it immediately turned black so I yanked it outta the ground. I figure adding a second pear tree would make the most sense in the spot to help pollinate each other. I would prefer one thats good for fresh eating for me and the kieffer can be more for the deer. Locally seems to just be the moonglow/ayers at lowes and what not.

Also considered leaving the kieffer by itself since they are "self fertile" and adding a self pollinating crab apple but I have japanese beetles so bad, they defoliate an entire tree in one day and i've heard apples tend to get attacked by them, luckily they never bother my pears though. Any suggestions..... my research is turning up blanks.

What about the wildlife group pears? Have you considered persimmon? I wish I had put more effort into growing persimmons.

If you don't mind an early drop Ayers has great disease resistance and is great fresh eating pear.

Ayers is definitely an option, just heard they are super slow growing and slow to produce, dont know alot about fruit trees in general though.

If the fruit trees are in your yard, maybe the Japanese beetles can be killed while they are in the grub stage living in your soil. If that is the major source of the beetles then apple trees might be fine. If the immediate surrounding land is propagating beetles heavily as well, that would not work of course.

1000s of acres of farm land around me, i'm screwed with the beetles :p i spray seven daily but only so much a guy can do when there is 500 on a 5ft tall tree and then on to the next

1000s of acres of farm land around me, i'm screwed with the beetles :p i spray seven daily but only so much a guy can do when there is 500 on a 5ft tall tree and then on to the next
You are right Nebraskaz71, I had hoped that the farmland owners had to kill the beetles while in the grub stage to be able to grow their crops and the beetles only got to hatch on the private land. Since that is not the case and you are using seven which is supposed to be IT then it is no apple trees for now.

Back